The [insert clever hello here] trick

If you're new to CAA, we invite you to tell us about yourself here. This is the place to post your own bio or read up on other members. Be as in depth as you like!

The [insert clever hello here] trick

Postby John_Smith » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:08 pm

Greetings! My story is something like this: I watched The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya last spring, and since then have been watching piles of anime. A few days ago I asked myself the question, 'I wonder if there's any Christian anime sites?' and found myself here.

My favorite anime is Sword Art Online, hence the glaring avatar.

I'm currently a college student, working at a degree in comparative religion, and I'm also working on a Narnian-esque novel right now.

Right... well... Hi.
Last edited by John_Smith on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
John_Smith
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Sharing orange chicken with lurkers

Re: The [insert clever hello here] trick

Postby goldenspines » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Hello and a very warm welcome to you, John Smith. I hope you enjoy it here. ^_^
Image
User avatar
goldenspines
 
Posts: 4869
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:42 am
Location: Up north somewhere.

Re: The [insert clever hello here] trick

Postby silvanis2.0 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Very awesome! Do let us know when you're novel's up and running! Welcome to the madness, good sir. :D
User avatar
silvanis2.0
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:09 pm
Location: Sleeping amid the spring flowers

Re: The [insert clever hello here] trick

Postby John_Smith » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:47 am

Thank-you to which ever mod re-approved this thread. For a few moments there I was thinking to myself, 'Less than ten minutes logged and I've already broken the forum.'

And thanks silvanis and goldenspines! About my novel, I'll publish it someday... If you ever see a book called Kinnerith, you can say that you know the author.
User avatar
John_Smith
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Sharing orange chicken with lurkers

Re: The [insert clever hello here] trick

Postby drill » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:18 pm

Welcome to the forums John_Smith! Hope you enjoy your stay :D
Image
User avatar
drill
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: The [insert clever hello here] trick

Postby PandaPop » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:50 pm

How do you do sir! ooh comparative religion I bet that is fascinating, I do a bit of studying different religions on my own, so I'm sure it is really interesting. I just finished SOA a week or so ago, very fun anime indeed!
Image
User avatar
PandaPop
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:29 pm
Location: The Desert

Re: The [insert clever hello here] trick

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:12 pm

Welcome, welcome.
I must say, your book's title has piqued my interest. If you feel like it, you should share a snippet of it here. We'd love to read it.
So you're a college student, eh? Tell me, is it as awful as they say it is? I've heard that at least 30% of people who enter college come out with more knowledge than when they began. Is that really true? It almost sounds like it's worth trying. However, it's my sworn duty to remain behind in the ranks of the uneducated and irresponsible, to boost the ego of the smarter college people.
Sword Art Online! YES. Congratulations, you are officially one of the coolest people I know.
Well, here it is, the inevitable question that all newcomers must be asked. It's simple, to the point, and one of the most important questions you will ever answer. Answer wrong, and there will be consequences. So before blindly typing in a jumble of words, consider your response, and answer wisely. It could mean the difference between failure and success, life and death, victory and defeat, hope and despair, love and war.
. . .

Have you watched Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle? If so, what is your opinion? If not, you're going to watch it now that I've mentioned it, right? (Like right now, as you read this. Go.)

Anyways, craziness aside, welcome to CAA, enjoy your stay, and watch out for inflamation and traffic jams. Hope to see you around the forums (if you survive...*ominous background music*)
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:
Image

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
User avatar
ClaecElric4God
 
Posts: 2071
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 9:02 am
Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Re: The [insert clever hello here] trick

Postby John_Smith » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:37 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:Anyways, craziness aside, welcome to CAA, enjoy your stay, and watch out for inflamation and traffic jams. Hope to see you around the forums (if you survive...*ominous background music*)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d1WDUfPk8E
Play music to make this post sound even more epic than it really is.

PandaPop wrote:How do you do sir! ooh comparative religion I bet that is fascinating, I do a bit of studying different religions on my own, so I'm sure it is really interesting. I just finished SOA a week or so ago, very fun anime indeed!

Yup, it definitely is. I'd have to say, most interesting part about it is actually meeting people of other beliefs in the class. It's one thing to learn and write about them. But actually having a civil conversation with Buddhists and Muslims and to hear them describe it in person is... well, interesting.

drill wrote:Welcome to the forums John_Smith! Hope you enjoy your stay :D

Thank-you!

ClaecElric4God wrote:I must say, your book's title has piqued my interest. If you feel like it, you should share a snippet of it here. We'd love to read it.
So you're a college student, eh? Tell me, is it as awful as they say it is? I've heard that at least 30% of people who enter college come out with more knowledge than when they began. Is that really true? It almost sounds like it's worth trying. However, it's my sworn duty to remain behind in the ranks of the uneducated and irresponsible, to boost the ego of the smarter college people.


Book: hm... Maybe...
College: The only difference I've noticed between it and high school is that you don't have to deal with other obnoxious students who disrupt the class. Generally, the concept of 'paying for this with my money...' has a remarkable affect on attitude.

ClaecElric4God wrote:Well, here it is, the inevitable question that all newcomers must be asked. It's simple, to the point, and one of the most important questions you will ever answer. Answer wrong, and there will be consequences. So before blindly typing in a jumble of words, consider your response, and answer wisely. It could mean the difference between failure and success, life and death, victory and defeat, hope and despair, love and war.
. . .

Have you watched Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle? If so, what is your opinion? If not, you're going to watch it now that I've mentioned it, right? (Like right now, as you read this. Go.)


...Adds TRC to anime watch list.
User avatar
John_Smith
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Sharing orange chicken with lurkers

Re: The [insert clever hello here] trick

Postby Never thirsty! » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:16 pm

Ciao, I love books can't wait to read yours! Hope you enjoy your stay here at the greatest site on the whole internet even better than facebook, Twitter and instagram combined because it never gets old.
User avatar
Never thirsty!
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:15 pm
Location: I don't even know anymore.

Re: The [insert clever hello here] trick

Postby LastLfan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Welcome John Smith, I know we have a few writers here, myself included. While I doubt i will publish anything i would love to chat with you about ideas and concepts in novels. What is your opinion of anime-esque shows? Ones that, while drawn in an anime like style, are not anime. Two I HIGHLY recommend are avatar: the last airbender, and code: lyoko. SAO is a downright amazing anime. Dub or sub? I like both but prefer the sub because of Asuna's voice and A couple of other's voices, and it had a WAY Better opening. Anyway that was my welcome ramble, it won't happen again(begins laughing uncontrollably)
User avatar
LastLfan
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: Pallet town

Re: The [insert clever hello here] trick

Postby Vilo159 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Good day to ye, John Smith, and welcome to the CAA! :thumb:

I'm the resident Mormon hereabouts, glad to meet you! I'm looking forward to seeing you around.
User avatar
Vilo159
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:19 pm
Location: The kingdom of Guardia

Re: The [insert clever hello here] trick

Postby John_Smith » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:21 pm

Thanks for the welcomes!

On SUBs vs. DUBs: typically I'm a sub fan, (that way I get to say I’m studying the Japanese language simultaneously) but I'm by far not a dub hater. I'm probably going to have to watch the SAO dub soon... I have heard the opening though, and I'm now of the opinion that if the translators are going to change the soundtrack, then they should probably start from scratch.

I never got to see The Last Airbender, but I am impatiently waiting for Korra to start back up again. And I’ve seen Code Lyoko. So, in short, non-anime, anime is cool.
User avatar
John_Smith
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Sharing orange chicken with lurkers


Return to Who's Who

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

cron