Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Anime Recommendations Thread

Postby Kaori » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:29 pm

Hi ShenValleyLewis,

Welcome to CAA.

I have to confess that not a ton of titles come to mind for me from looking at the list of shows you like, but I thought I would give it a shot since no one else has given you any recommendations yet. (They don't have to be 2019 anime, do they?)

Yotsuba&! - I haven't actually watched this (I read a bit of the manga, and it wasn't quite my thing), but if you like Usagi Drop, you may like this, because it's a similar story about an adult man raising a young girl as his daughter.
Princess Jellyfish - I haven't watched the anime but read quite a bit of the manga, which was very good. It's about a bunch of college-age NEET women and a cross-dressing (straight) man who meets and starts hanging out with them as they try to keep the building they live in from being sold. I've heard good things about the anime, and from the summaries I've read, it leaves off in a very logical place with good closure.
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - Another one for which I've read the manga but haven't seen the anime (there's an OVA series). The manga is a mild, relaxing slice-of-life with a bit of a bittersweet tone set in a world where ocean levels have risen dramatically.

If you're interested in anime movies, not just series, then I would definitely recommend most of the Studio Ghibli catalog if you haven't seen those films (Princess Mononoke may be too violent for your taste, and Grave of the Fireflies is tragic, but others should be fine), the movie Wolf Children, and pretty much anything directed by Makoto Shinkai (just be warned that 5cm/s is pretty heartbreaking).
Kaori

Postby Dazaifan91 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:36 am

I am new here but I am a Baptist Christian anime fan and have seen all kinds of different anime shows good and bad. So my question is what are some good mecha anime to watch with more mature and darker themes that are not gundam, bokurano, or full metal panic.
Dazaifan91

Postby Kaori » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:02 am

Hi, welcome to CAA!

I haven't watched tons of mecha anime (though I do like the genre), but I'll give it a shot.

Do you have any familiarity with the Patlabor series? I've only watched the TV series, which is mostly pretty lighthearted, but I've heard that some of the other Patlabor media got darker. (I think some of the later stuff, movies maybe?) Unfortunately I can't personally vouch for that, since I haven't seen them. The TV series was, like I said, *mostly* lighthearted, though it did have some episodes that dug into some more serious psychological things, and is well worth watching. It also has characters who are adults, not teenagers, and they do have to face adult concerns like "I got offered a promising new job, should I leave the one I have now and take this new job, or stay where I am?" So there's that at least.

Martian Successor Nadesico
is a series that is comedy at the outset, so I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, since it has that slapstick romcom surface. But despite the comedy premise, it deals with some very serious things like death and SPOILER: Highlight text to read: suicide and has characters grappling with really serious doubts about what they are doing, and sometimes voicing really cynical or disillusioned viewpoints. It's deceptively deep if you can get past the comedic premise.

Then there's Evangelion. Classic, and certainly deals with "mature and darker themes," but it has a lot of content that's rather disturbing from a religious viewpoint and is also on CAA's "do not discuss" list for having stirred up excessive controversy in the past. (Not sure how that's being enforced nowadays, but maybe Shooraijin can weigh in.)

A bit further afield, Gasaraki was a nice underrated mecha anime which I recall liking but don't have much of a clear memory of. I wouldn't say its themes came across as particularly "mature" or "dark." "Subtle" maybe. But it had a more restrained and understated feel than, say, a shonen-like anime with a hot-blooded hero running around shouting and winning battles through his determination and guts, so I guess it is more mature in the sense of being "not child-like," but not in the sense of having "adult content."

I feel like none of these is really spot-on for what you're looking for, so I'm sorry I can't think of anything that fits what you're asking for more precisely, but maybe at least this can help you decide whether you think the above shows would interest you.
Kaori

Postby shooraijin » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:59 pm

There's so little discussion I'm not really enforcing the DnD much. But I'll put a vote in for Nadesico for all the reasons you said. The OST is great too, one of my road trip albums.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:44 pm

Giant robot stuff, huh? Give these a try:

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still is one of the gold standards. The backstory behind it is wild: in the early '90s, someone wanted to do an animated version of a classic manga called Giant Robo. While the manga author's estate allowed this, they added the condition that certain characters from the manga couldn't be used. What the anime's director did, however, was to take basically every other character the author had made up for other series - magical girls, sharp-suited spies, martial artists from Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and one colossal nuclear-powered sentient robot - and jammed them together into a big happy dieselpunk wuxia heartfelt action extravaganza. It pushes around the concept of a world based on a colossal coverup revealed and re-revealed over seven extra-large episodes, centered around the question: Can happiness be achieved without sacrifice? Despite an initial appearance as just another kid's show, it grows well beyond that in scope. If you want to see a mecha story done as an opera, here it is, driven as it is by a symphony orchestra score. And if you're worried about fanservice or other content, this one keeps it clean. (Just, for your own sake, skip the Ginrei Specials.)

If you like Evangelion, or the first Pacific Rim movie, give Gunbuster a try. It starts as a parody of a tennis show, but then jumps straight into Ender's Game territory - an interplanetary war, time dilation played for tragedy, child soldiers sent to fight unknown enemies. It ladles on the teenage girl angst on top of some great action sequences. If nudity bothers you, this might be one to skip, or at least the blatant fanservice segment in one of the episodes - you'll know it when you see it. But if it doesn't, this one is a treat.

I know you said no Gundam, but if you haven't seen Zeta Gundam, Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, or G Gundam, you're missing out - to me, those are the highlights of the franchise. G is so radically different from the rest of the other shows, it's worth a try, especially if you end up trying and liking Giant Robo.

I personally didn't like FLAG that much, but it's got a great concept: set in near-modern times, a war photographer in Not-Afghanistan is attached to a unit fighting insurgents with an experimental mecha-like weapons platform. The focus isn't really on the robot itself, but the relationships between the photographer, her mentor, and the unit running the robot. If you're looking for more mature, this one fits the bill.
Davidizer13

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews