Japanese Language Help...

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Postby Myoti » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:15 pm

Sounds like it would be saying "Don't talk about yourself." Translations can be... funny. o.o
Myoti

Postby Aka-chan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:28 pm

"Jibun katte" is treated as a "na" adjective and literally means "selfish" or "self-centered." So a literal translation of that would be "Don't say selfish things." It sounds a bit awkward, though, when put like that, and it's meant as a character critique, so the translation you've seen gets the spirit of it pretty well. It may also be just a common phrase that's been generally translated to capture its feeling a little better.

For instance (excuse me while I go off on a tangent), you may hear "suki na shiro" in some anime/manga. It literally means "do what you like" but has the tough-guy nuance to it and a hefty helping of cool indifference regarding the other party's next course of action. So in certain situations, I might translate it as loosely as "Whatever" in order to capture that.
Aka-chan

Postby yukinon » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:54 pm

Loose translation does not make for helpfulness for the casual/lazy Japanese learner.

I wonder if any of that made sense.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Aka-chan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:58 pm

Sorry, translation's just so fun! But I did include the literal translation in the second sentence, so feel free to ignore everything else if you so desire. ^__^
Aka-chan

Postby Myoti » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:15 pm

I translated an entire verse of this song the other day. It was awesome, though it wouldn't make much sense without a good of putting it together. XD

In fact, is was this line (it just sounded cool in the song, so I had to do it):
"Tatoe kurayami no naka
Michi o miushinattemo
Akiramenaide
Te o nobase
Hikari e to"

I got (hopefully something close to what it is, though very 'rough' translations >.>):
"For example, if you're inside the darkness
And lose sight of the path,
Don't yield,
Stretch out your hand
To the light and--"

Having Kanji lyrics really seems to help, too. o.o
たとえ 暗闇の中
道を見失っても
あきらめないで
手を伸ばせ
ヒカリへと
Myoti

Postby Aka-chan » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:09 am

The comp I'm on at the moment can't view the kanji, but that looks like an excellent translation, Myoti! What song is it? It sounds lovely. <3

Just one thing, the -temo in "miushinattemo" means "in spite of" or "even if", so it would be, "for example, even if you're inside... etc." But you did a great job!
Aka-chan

Postby Myoti » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:54 pm

Alright, I wasn't totally sure of the -temo form.

The song is called "BRAND NEW WORLD," by D-51. I'll PM more about it.
Myoti

Postby Aka-chan » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:58 am

It just occurred to me this morning that I forgot about the "tatoe" in looking at this. This is more of a side note, because it does literally mean "for example", but the nuance on this with the "tatoe..-temo" means not only "even if" (-temo), but something more emphatic. More like "no matter what" and the "tatoe/for example" indicates a kind of "worst case scenario" for you to fill in (in this case, being in the darkness, etc.) It comes with a "come hell or high water" attitude that you'll probably see a lot in songs like these, so I thought I'd put that out there for later reference.

Example: "Tatoe ooame ga futtemo zehi kuru yo." "Even if it pours tomorrow, I'll definitely come."
Aka-chan

Postby Myoti » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:50 pm

Alright, I was wondering about that. Somehow "for example" didn't quite seem like it should have fit. =p
Myoti

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:14 pm

Vocabulary Word of the Day:

Hanakuso

Translation: Booger

Literal Translation: A combination of the single words 'nose' and 'crap'.

Because of it's literal meaning, it is apparently commonly written with the last part in kana rather than the actual kanji character.

Yes, this is the same 'kuso' you hear often in subbed anime, often given translations unmentionable here.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Myoti » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:04 pm

'Nosecrap.' That's great.
I must use it regularly now. XD

ハナクソ!
Myoti

Postby Aka-chan » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:53 pm

XDD Thanks for sharing...

The "kuso" probably makes it mildly vulgar--for those who want something acceptable in conversations with host parents and the like, you can also use "hanamizu" ( 鼻水 )
Aka-chan

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:31 pm

I actually have a question to try and confirm something^^ Well, there's a few ways to say "no" in Japanese (each varying and stuff a little bit, like "dame" means no but can also been translated as "stop!" or "no good" etc) but I'm trying to get how to write/say one word properly: for the longest time (since it sounded that way) I always thought the word was written as "yada", but now that I'm payign closer attention to the woord, there's more of an "ii" emphasis on the end. So is it really more of an "iie da"? Even though the 'e' sounds alot more like an 'a'?
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Myoti » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:25 pm

Hanamizu? Sounds more like 'snot' or a runny nose. XD
Myoti

Postby Aka-chan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:19 pm

Tenshi no Ai wrote:I actually have a question to try and confirm something^^ Well, there's a few ways to say "no" in Japanese (each varying and stuff a little bit, like "dame" means no but can also been translated as "stop!" or "no good" etc) but I'm trying to get how to write/say one word properly: for the longest time (since it sounded that way) I always thought the word was written as "yada", but now that I'm payign closer attention to the woord, there's more of an "ii" emphasis on the end. So is it really more of an "iie da"? Even though the 'e' sounds alot more like an 'a'?

It's actually a conversational pronounciation of "iya da" ("iya" meaning "distasteful, unlikeable"). I believe it's kind of a "shoot down" no, giving the connotation of "your suggestion/order/etc. finds no favor whatsoever with me and therefore I refuse." But all that wrapped up in "no."
Aka-chan

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:51 pm

Myoti wrote:Hanamizu? Sounds more like 'snot' or a runny nose. XD

Hanamizu's literal translation is 'nose water', so you are pretty much correct.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:01 pm

Aka-chan wrote:It's actually a conversational pronounciation of "iya da" ("iya" meaning "distasteful, unlikeable"). I believe it's kind of a "shoot down" no, giving the connotation of "your suggestion/order/etc. finds no favor whatsoever with me and therefore I refuse." But all that wrapped up in "no."

Oh ok, so it's "iya da" then^^ Yeah, it's one of the "no"'s that I was somehow able to distinguish how it's different from somethign like "dame" or "iie". A little different, but yeah I still use it properly^^ Thanks for the help!
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Shia Kyosuka » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:50 am

Quick question.

What is the equivelent of "-er" in japanese?

as in, Driver, Builder, Maker, Gamer...?
had enough.
Shia Kyosuka

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:43 pm

Don't take my word for it, but I think adding "ka" to the end makes it so. For example, a mangaka is someone who creates manga, and an Aikidoka is someone who practices the martial art Aikido. But that's just my theory.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:37 pm

Raiden no Kishi wrote:Don't take my word for it, but I think adding "ka" to the end makes it so. For example, a mangaka is someone who creates manga, and an Aikidoka is someone who practices the martial art Aikido. But that's just my theory.

.rai//

Yes, that is correct.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Aka-chan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:49 am

It really depends. It can also be "sha" or "shu" (kanji later) as in "untenshu" (driver) or "gakusha" (scholar). Or you could even just put "hito" on the verb to make it "the person who [verbs]" ("taberuhito"="the one who eats/the eater").
Aka-chan

Postby Shia Kyosuka » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:16 pm

Honto ni arigatou! ^_^

another thing...

"or" in japanese?
had enough.
Shia Kyosuka

Postby Aka-chan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:38 pm

Generally you'd use "ka." As in "Neko ka inu ka, dochira ga suki?" "Do you like dogs or cats?" (Literally, "Cats or dogs, which do you like?").
Aka-chan

Purty please...

Postby RubyJewelStone » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:18 pm

First of all, I would like to know if that kanji was somewhat accurate.

I was told that the meanings were as follows:

(from left)
Sherise: to exceed in/ special/ especially – a (crown) gem – mainly/ master
... a special gem

Dionne: to go/let out – great/ grandeur – gratitude
... a great person with gratitude

Alexis: beautiful – beauteous – eternal/ eternity – aspiration/ hope – to protect
... to have eternal beauty and to protect hope

Also, if it's possible could someone type it out so I can be able to copy and paste?
I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks. :jump:
I believe in the sun even if it isn't shining. I believe in love even when I am alone. I believe in God even when he is silent.
~Author Unknown
RubyJewelStone

Postby dyzzispell » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:51 pm

Could someone tell me if this is right? I am trying to write the word "fearless", or "no fear". Is this the right way to do it? Image
(osorenai)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
In Christ,
Dyzzi

Also on Smackjeeves
"Work In Progress" Facebook Fan Page
My DeviantART

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..." - Colossians 3:23 NIV
dyzzispell

Postby Aka-chan » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:47 pm

So those names…here’s the kanji, their readings, and meanings:
殊 – shu (read “kotoâ€
Aka-chan

Postby dyzzispell » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:12 pm

Aka-chan wrote:Also, dyzzispell, that looks right. ^__^

Yay! Thanks so much!! ^_^
In Christ,
Dyzzi

Also on Smackjeeves
"Work In Progress" Facebook Fan Page
My DeviantART

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..." - Colossians 3:23 NIV
dyzzispell

Postby RubyJewelStone » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:04 pm

Slightly belated thanks.
I believe in the sun even if it isn't shining. I believe in love even when I am alone. I believe in God even when he is silent.
~Author Unknown
RubyJewelStone

Postby Shia Kyosuka » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:47 am

Boku no nihongo wa totemo ii natteiru yo!

So like, Probably the only thing I've needed to know is how do you say things like:

"Behind the chair"

"under the stairs"

"over the table"

"beside the TV"

Ya know, words that show placement.

Afterwards, it seems like I'll only need to learn kanji and fatten my vocab.

:)
had enough.
Shia Kyosuka

Postby Aka-chan » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:28 am

Congrats on your Japanese work! Though, should you go to Japan, no matter how good your Japanese is, it's customary to deny it. People will constantly be exclaiming "Nihongo ga jouzu desu ne!" ["Your Japanese is so good!" Note: use "jouzu" (skillful), not "ii" (fine, good)], but even an "Arigatou" can sound arrogant. So, while I know exactly what you mean, if talking to someone Japanese, look somewhat shy (you can still look pleased) and tell them, "Iie, iie..."

For placement, use the noun, "no," and then the placement word. And because you're giving a location, chances are, you'll need a "ni" after it. Depends on the situation.
The mouse is behind the chair: "Nezumi wa isu no ushiro ni iru."
"Doko da?" (Where is it?)
"Kaidan no shita da." (Under the stairs.)

Over/on = ue
Beside = yoko

Ganbare ne!
Aka-chan

Previous Next

Return to Tutorials