Worst anime ever!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Neane » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:27 am

Well, there are lots of shows that I really don't care for [After all, it is impossible for everyone to like any show with the same amount of love], but I will never say that they are bad...it just means it's not my type of show. But the ones that I listed are the only anime that I would say are "bad".

Liking a show and a show being objectively good or bad are two different things entirely. You may not like certain shows but you should be able to see its objective and artistic merits...even if you don't like it or even if you hate it. Even if you hate Fooly Cooly or Cowboy Bebop or Death Note or Baccano! or Chobits or Ninja Scroll or Monster or Highschool of the Dead or whatever popular anime out there, you should still be able to admit that they have pretty good animation and have a a pretty sweet Soundtrack to boot and thus they are not objectively any where near being the worst anime ever.

This thread is for anime that have no objective and artistic merits...they have nothing good about them. Anime that are physically painful to watch due to the fact that they have NOTHING good about them.
Neane

Postby Nate » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:48 pm

Neane wrote:I'm not sure I can find a single positive quality about MD Geist

CAN'T STOP, HE'S JUST A SOLDIER

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Neane » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Nate (post: 1579442) wrote:CAN'T STOP, HE'S JUST A SOLDIER

He's the hero that anime deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
Neane

Re:

Postby primetech » Wed May 01, 2013 6:50 am

Neane wrote:Speaking of Cats, I am thankful that FUNimation licensed the utter masterpiece that is Cat Planet Cuties

Remember the Abh aliens in Banner of the Stars? They were cat-lovers as well. Yet what do we learn of the Catia aliens in the entire show? They are nothing more than all super hot nekomimi chicks on heat, who love to cosplay. Ok… I mean, it is about cat women coming to Earth to have fun and mess with the life of the Archetypical Loser TM; anything other than that is just smokescreen. There are supposed to be conspiracies and alien invasions every now and then, spies double crossing, mecha firing energy beams and huge spaceships blowing up. All of these are presented in the most simplistic and rushed way possible, just as filler for the real focus of the show, which are excuses to have cat girls doing sexual stuff.

To be honest, the premise of the story could lead to something really interesting if it was taken seriously. I mean, it is about aliens coming to study human life and have fun while at the same time preventing their technology from being abused by shadow organizations and protecting the planet from being destroyed by their arch-enemies. Yet all we see is oversexualized nekomimis indulging in all sorts of deprived fetishes because it is supposed to be learning about the human culture… which in the context of the series consists of nothing other than hentai magazines and cosplay shops. Seriously, WTF? I know it is a comedy which makes fun of otaku culture but it is doing it in such a blunt way, it is offending to any sane person...especially to a cat lover like me. A special note must be given to the mascots of the show, those small cat android helpers. They are supposed to be cute and eye-catchy for us to like them. Only thing THEY ARE UGLY F**KERS. Their faces are just emotionless globes with two black spots and their movements are simplistic and not perky at all. They are distasteful critters and I hate them with all my heart! This show is not special in any way; neither does it try to offer anything out of the ordinary. In fact, it hardly tries to be average.

You gave Cat Planet Cuties way too much credit (but thanks for trying :P)

This show literally takes one or two brilliant ideas (virtual reality rooms and non-lethal weapons) and makes them into plot points for fan service and awkwardness. The weapons are used to shoot girls' clothing off, and the VR rooms are used for the cat girls to sate their apparently uncontrollable sexual desires.

Speaking of which, at least the main girl in this show wants sex, which, you know, defeats any of the possible innocence that it had about halfway through. If that wasn't demeaning enough to your intelligence, she wants underage sex the most. After the guy voices his concern about it being, I don't know, illegal, the undersexed cat girls even pull out an excuse for it: "It's our culture, so you can do what you want with us." Great.

And, just in case you didn't get the point, they created an (otherwise) pointless last episode where girls show off their boobs, then show off their boobs, then.... show off their boobs again. It's a whole episode about girls who don't want to be seen semi-naked.... showing themselves off fully naked, no creativity involved.

I can't even start to say where this show does women, children, other anime, and even anime fans, injustice. I don't think I've ever seen an anime that's made me more nauseous.

Don't watch it.
There are no good messages.
Its only messages could lead to teen pregnancy...
or possibly arrest.
primetech

Re: Re:

Postby Nate » Sat May 04, 2013 12:51 am

primetech wrote:And, just in case you didn't get the point, they created an (otherwise) pointless last episode where girls show off their boobs, then show off their boobs, then.... show off their boobs again.

Sounds like it had a point to me!
I don't think I've ever seen an anime that's made me more nauseous.

Ha ha...ha ha ha. Oh wow. To be that innocent again. Asobi ni iku yo! is pretty much entirely harmless. You can make arguments about objectification of women and all that, and sure, I'll grant you that, but it's no worse than most other anime out there. I could name at least three anime off the top of my head that are more nausea-inducing than this show.
Its only messages could lead to teen pregnancy...
or possibly arrest.

Yeah I remember a huge spike in teen pregnancies and arrests when this anime came out. It was almost as high as the string of kids performing alchemy after Full Metal Alchemist came out.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Re: Worst anime ever!

Postby AndrewinIce » Sun May 05, 2013 9:59 pm

"Vandread. Defiantly.
Aside from incredible weak and annoying characters (Only two characters were cool, with the main character being the worst), it was boring. Only one episode was what I would call good.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It also strongly hints that two female characters are in a romantic relationship. Due to the separation of the sexes in the show's past, the women and men(except 1) are all implied to be homosexual. Or in two cases Bisexual. One character turns out to be a transsexual, and a a character of his sex says that he still loves him...Yeah...Not my kind of Anime..."
AndrewinIce

Postby SierraLea » Sun May 05, 2013 10:04 pm

As far as art goes, Boys Over Flowers has got to be one of the worst, especially where facial expressions are concerned.
SierraLea

Postby skreyola » Sun May 05, 2013 11:10 pm

Nate wrote:
primetech wrote:Its only messages could lead to teen pregnancy...
or possibly arrest.

Yeah I remember a huge spike in teen pregnancies and arrests when this anime came out. It was almost as high as the string of kids performing alchemy after Full Metal Alchemist came out.

Primetech said the message could lead there, not the anime itself.

I don't really feel I can say the names of any of the series I've watched all the way through (and it probably isn't fair to name series I haven't watched at least half of), because I don't know of any I've sat through that didn't have some redeeming qualities. There've been anime series I've hated, but very few that I felt were just out and out bad (and where I did, I haven't watched all the way through). Even the shows I've given a 1 or 2 have had some bright spots.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Xeno » Sun May 05, 2013 11:54 pm

skreyola wrote:
Nate wrote:
or possibly arrest.

Primetech said the message could lead there, not the anime itself.

Kind of like how the message in Dexter has led me to become a sociopathic serial killer, and the message in Breaking Bad has caused me to start making crystal meth in the shed in my back yard.
Xeno

Postby skreyola » Mon May 06, 2013 8:37 pm

Xeno wrote:
Nate wrote:
or possibly arrest.

Kind of like how the message in Dexter has led me to become a sociopathic serial killer, and the message in Breaking Bad has caused me to start making crystal meth in the shed in my back yard.

You and Nate seem to be mistaken about a couple of words here. A show's message is not just something that's present but something that's portrayed as right, or the way things really are. And a message leading to a behavior is not the same as causing a behavior... that is, leading to something means that if you followed it to its logical conclusion...
Oh, never mind. Ice cream sales and violent crime rates.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Xeno » Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 am

You're trying to imply that that because sex is portrayed as okay in an anime that viewers may perceive it as being okay, and thus go out and have rampant unprotected sex. This is no different than trying to imply that because Don Draper is a raging alcoholic that people who watch Mad Men could start drinking a lot of alcohol because the show portrays it in a not-so-negative light. Which is deceiving, because they could start drinking a lot of alcohol for a lot of reasons, and teen pregnancy is caused by a number of factors, hardly any of which have to do with video media.

Nate and I know exactly what you and Primetech are trying to say. We're pointing out that it's a logical fallacy to draw that conclusion.
Xeno

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:48 pm

skreyola wrote:A show's message is not just something that's present but something that's portrayed as right, or the way things really are.

You do know you can feature a behavior in a story without condoning it, right? Half of The Great Gatsby is describing huge drunken parties, but you'd be hard-pressed to say that Fitzgerald's message was that everyone should live that same lifestyle.

Also, I'm pretty sure most people can tell the difference between reality and Stupid Ecchi Harem Anime #17. Sadly, I don't think that I'll ever have a mob of beautiful young women with improbable proportions who follow me around because they want my hot bod, something that happens all the time in Japanese cartoons. This is not to say that Cat Planet Cuties isn't total crap (in all likelihood - I've got no desire to see it), but it's not the end of Western civilization as we know it.
Davidizer13

Postby skreyola » Tue May 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Davidizer13 wrote:
skreyola wrote:A show's message is not just something that's present but something that's portrayed as right, or the way things really are.

You do know you can feature a behavior in a story without condoning it, right?

I do know that, thanks (see bolded text).
What I was trying to point out is that people are reacting to the comment that was made as though the comment were an order of magnitude stronger than it was.

@Xeno: See above.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Mullet Death » Wed May 08, 2013 11:17 am

By far the worst anime I've ever seen is Upotte. I watched it all the way through because when it comes to anime I always finish what I start because I'm a helpless completionist.
It is nothing more than underage unbelievably perverse fanservice and has no plot, character development, legitimate interrelationships, or any redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby skreyola » Wed May 08, 2013 8:47 pm

I'd second Upotte for that, though I don't think I made it through even the first episode.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:34 pm

Guin Saga.
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby Mullet Death » Sun May 12, 2013 10:47 am

I'd like to add "Bodacious Space Pirates" or "Mini-Skirt Pirates." Okay, maybe not THE worst ever, but certainly one I love to hate personally. Probably because I went in thinking, "Hey, this might be like One Piece in space, but with their own spin!" NO it isn't. So then I kept giving it more chances, thinking, "Hey, this isn't what I expected, but it could get better!" It doesn't. Yuri, stereotypical characters, a complete lack of real action, little character development a TERRIBLE ending that left me with no closure somehow...and ugh, I could forgive all that, if it weren't just the most boring thing ever. Hours of riveting scenes of staring at augmented reality screens and underage girls playing futuristic privateer.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Dabstract » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:52 pm

I'm pretty picky with my anime because I like to avoid perverted themes, themes of yaoi or anything spiritually destructive. As for being worst anime, in my opinion, I'm gonna say Hetalia. I'm sure many would disagree and some time ago I would have too. But the thing that bothers me most is France's bisexuality. It just doesn't fit in with my beliefs you know? Plus I'm pretty sure atleast 90% of the fanbase for it was into yaoi. Other than that it was pretty decent. Funny and a tad educational. Plus a majority of the characters were attractive males so if you're that type of fangirl then that's a plus. Keep in mind this is only my opinion.
Dabstract

Re:

Postby KnightofSeven » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:18 pm

KnightOfFive wrote:I have posted a more complete general apology elsewhere but I must emphasize my apologies for my rude demeanor.

I, KnightofSeven am here to take KnightofFive back. It's time we left off. He has much training, in many ways, for he carries an important will. The will of K!
KnightofSeven

Postby srso » Tue May 25, 2021 11:29 am

I'm not sure if this counts, but it's a 2 minute short called utsu musume sayuri. It's very perverted and appalling to watch. The characters look like garbage, it's very un-christian, and has some of the ugliest animation I've ever laid my eyes on. Don't watch this anime, don't even look it up.
srso

Postby Rose Faerie » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:52 am

Hmm... I finally have found something worthy of this list. Brothers Conflict.

I do not know why the heck this exists. I watched the first three or four episodes with my sister because we were bored and wanted something to make fun of.

The plot is basically this girl's dad is getting remarried and his new wife has 13 sons. And get this! She'll be living with all those strange boys, while the parents live separately for whatever reason. All of her step-brothers fall in love with her and are pretty creepy about it. She also has a talking squirrel who is also in love with her. Only she and one of the brothers can understand said squirrel.

I'm going to summarize the first episode to make my point. The main girl moves in to the house. Her squirrel is spazzing out about her existing in the same house as a bunch of guys. (Said squirrel refuses to stop talking about this the entire time, but he is right to worry.) The girl meets her brothers, who are weirdly flirty and obsessed with her. She randomly contracts a fever. Her oldest brother is a doctor who magically heals her. I think three of her brothers have offered to sleep in her bed with her at this point. The next day she accidentally walks in on one of her brothers in the bathroom. She panics because he's holding a water bottle for some reason. Also two of her brothers pretend to be into each other. It turns out to be "part of a script" since they're voice actors (not actors, voice actors). It was part of a "joke" they were playing on our protagonist. (If you watch the scene, it does not seem like they were playing a joke. These ain't the Hitachiin brothers.

Our characters are as awful as you would expect. Our leading lady is very boring and has nothing special about her. The only reason I can think of that the brothers would like her so much is that she's conventionally attractive. She's also very dense and just lets all these obvious red flags slide by. Most of the brothers are adult men and she's 16. The creepiest are the pop idol son (who is actually around her age) and the priest one (he is disgusting). We also have """"""identical""""""" twins! They literally look nothing alike. They have a fraternal triplet, who is non-identical because he has a mole on his chin instead of his cheek. I wish this was a joke. I really do.

The characters I hated slightly less than the others included the talking squirrel because he could actually see red flags. I didn't mind the one brother who actually had a moral compass and questioned whether he should allow his feelings to continue since their parents were going to get married. The fraternal triplet seemed normal and didn't try to flirt with her, he almost seemed to act like a sibling. Each episode begins with random brothers confessing their love as the main girl floats through space, so we'll see how long this lasts.

Also the ending song is the brothers and the squirrel preforming a song like pop idols. It was weird.
Rose Faerie

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews