Manga Recommendations Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Atria35 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:36 am

All of CLAMP has pretty artwork and flowers, so there's no escaping it! I've read a lot of their works, and it's their longer series that tend to be their best. Most of their shorts/one-shots are pretty mediocre.

I would say their best works are
Gate 7 (publishing)
xxxHolic
Tsubasa Chronicle
Magic Knight Rayearth

and I've heard good things about Legal Drug and RG Veda especially, but I haven't read them myself. ... Wow. Looking at that list, I'd say their shounen tends to be above average.
Atria35

Postby Neane » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks. I am a bit sad that X/1999 has never been completed [Cliffhangering us for two decades]. Such a good manga.
I will be looking at RG Veda & Legal Drug next.
Neane

Postby Maokun » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:24 am

It's interesting that X has never been officially dropped (and they do drop lots of stuff! By the way, be warned that Legal Drug is one of such.) It still may happen that they pick it up some day. My recommendation is Tokyo Babylon, which you'll surely enjoy of you like X. Also, you should give a go to Card Captor Sakura if only because its seminal character.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby samurai10 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:06 am

Hey guys! ^_^

I was wondering if you guys could give me a recommendation on a manga. I'm looking for a shojo manga who's anime counterpart I haven't watched, and that's NOT ongoing. Any ideas?

MAL: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/samurai10

Thanks!
"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." ~The Silver Chair

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel." ~Johnny Depp

"MOES! Sign up and sig down!"

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~ [/color]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Sami-The warrior pokemon

This pokemon is stout in stature, but extremely loyal. it's head and ears make the shape of a samurai helmet. the scales from said helmet can be pulled out and used as kunai.
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:26 am

From Far Away is pretty awesome. I highly recommend it.
1/2 Prince is good fun, but being scanlated slooowly.
Arisa has completed, it's a great manga, I highly recommend it.
Karakuri Odette - this one is also pretty sweet and enjoyable.
Mixed Vegetables is rather fun and lighthearted.
Baby and Me - simply adorable and very sweet!
NG Life - it's one of my favorites, so I'm going to highly recommend it.
Someday's Dreamers is fantastic, very sweet. Short, too, at 2 volumes.
Ultra Maniac is one I read recently and really enjoyed.

I see Kitchen Princess on your PTR, that would be a great choice.
Atria35

Postby Kaori » Thu May 24, 2012 9:44 am

These are pretty much my standard recommendations for the shoujo demographic:

Basara, by Tamura Yumi – “Epicâ€
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby SakuraMist » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:27 am

Hey guys. :3 I'm looking for more (good) shojo manga. XD I am slightly addicted to them. Nothing with a lot of sex or perversion please.

A couple I have really enjoyed are:

Sugar Princess
Kimi ni Todoke (ongoing. XD)
Karakuri Odette (not finished yet, cant get any more from the library, they dont have the rest)
Wild Ones (Going to start reading this one anyway XD)

I hated "Just a Girl" and am not interested in Ouran Host. So....let me know if you know of anything. :3
SakuraMist

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:39 am

Well, I've been enjoying Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun for something more in the normal realm. If you want to try something out of the box a little, Basara is one of my personal favorites. I also remember liking Akagami no Shirayuki Hime, though I've stopped reading it for the moment because I forgot everything that happened in it. I also enjoy the Library War manga adaptation, though I like the anime quite a bit more.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:21 pm

SakuraMist (post: 1567900) wrote:Hey guys. :3 I'm looking for more (good) shojo manga. XD I am slightly addicted to them. Nothing with a lot of sex or perversion please.

A couple I have really enjoyed are:

Sugar Princess
Kimi ni Todoke (ongoing. XD)
Karakuri Odette (not finished yet, cant get any more from the library, they dont have the rest)
Wild Ones (Going to start reading this one anyway XD)

I hated "Just a Girl" and am not interested in Ouran Host. So....let me know if you know of anything. :3

Glad to know someone disliked "Just A Girl" as much as I do! Anycase, From Far Away is a very nice series, as is Ultra Maniac and Magic Knight Rayearth. I've also heard great things about Basara so I will second that, as I have been planning on reading that soon anyway.
Atria35

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Seconding From Far Away and Akagami no Shirayuki Hime-- they're both clean, and both excellent.
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Cadence » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:21 pm

Yay, a fan of Karakuri Odette! I only read it recently, but it is now one of my favorite shoujo titles. =) A few people have brought up Basara, and it is pretty good, but I would throw out the caution that there is quite a bit of sexual content in it. Have you tried Mixed Vegetables? I really enjoyed that one, and it is pretty clean. You might like Land of the Blindfolded or Happy Cafe (Shiawase Kissa Sanchoume) as well. Oresama Teacher and Natsume's Book of Friends are my personal ongoing favorites, but neither of them is very romantic, if romance is what you are looking for - Oresama Teacher is a comedy and Natsume is a really slow-paced and quiet supernatural story. Both are really clean, though.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby SakuraMist » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:21 am

Guess I scratch Basara off my list then. XD A lot of sexual content is something I didn't want.

I'll check out the rest. :D Thanks guys. <3
SakuraMist

Postby wildpurplechild » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:18 pm

So I read the series Alice in the Country of Hearts (Alice no kuni no heart) and I want to read the next series, Alice in the Country of Clovers but I scanned through it quick at the book store and it looks like it is more objectional than the first series. Can anyone tell me what type of content it has and if it is worth reading?
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Exlon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Arisa is completed? Really? Anyway, I got the first volume recently, and I liked it. I guess I'll have to get the next ones eventually, but I'm trying to open up a short list of different new manga series I can try out.

Others I want to try:
Dawn of the Arcana
A Devil and Her Love Song
Dengeki Daisy
The Earl and the Fairy

How would you all rate those in terms of content/entertainment?

P.S. Finished the last Ouran volume earlier this month--not as dramatic an ending as I would've expected, but I think it was all right.
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:22 pm

Exlon (post: 1569748) wrote:Arisa is completed? Really? Anyway, I got the first volume recently, and I liked it. I guess I'll have to get the next ones eventually, but I'm trying to open up a short list of different new manga series I can try out.

Others I want to try:
Dawn of the Arcana
A Devil and Her Love Song
Dengeki Daisy
The Earl and the Fairy

How would you all rate those in terms of content/entertainment?

P.S. Finished the last Ouran volume earlier this month--not as dramatic an ending as I would've expected, but I think it was all right.

Arisa is finished in Japan, but it hasn't finished publishing in the US (it's 12 volumes total).

Dawn of the Arcana has a bit of innuendo (spoken) and some blood (implied death, perhaps could even be called genocide) and slavery. But it's really overall PG-13 material.

Dengeki Daisy has a lot of innuendo (spoken), but I know someone else can fill you in better on that.

I was about to start on Devil and Her Love Song since it's been highly recommended to me, so I could PM you after I read it, if you'd like.
Atria35

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Yeah, the dialogue in Dengeki Daisy can get kinda edgy; but it's one of my favorite series right now because the story is interesting, and-- even more importantly-- the characters are fantastic. :thumb: (Also, even when certain plot cliches are used, there's always a really neat twist on them.) So I'd certainly suggest going ahead and giving it a few volumes.

Also, @Atria, I actually wouldn't mind a PM on Devil And Her Love Song, too, if that's okay. :)
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:44 pm

MangaRocks! (post: 1569761) wrote:Also, @Atria, I actually wouldn't mind a PM on Devil And Her Love Song, too, if that's okay. :)

No problem! ^.^
Atria35

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:48 pm

Thanks! :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Exlon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:10 am

The PM sounds like a great idea! I think I can put up with a little innuendo, I mean, Arisa had some, didn't it? And it's not as blunt as Absolute Boyfriend, is it? I read the first episode of that and decided "...Nope, not reading it."
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:31 am

^ It was really only one or two lines that were a little ... more mature than I usually find, but not explicit. It was meant to be, though, because it was meant to be degrading to her (since there's a lot of racism towards her and her bodyguard). Then it went back to Arisa levels, but I only read the first 4 volumes, so take it with a grain of salt.
Atria35

Postby Exlon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:46 am

Atria35 (post: 1570128) wrote:^ It was really only one or two lines that were a little ... more mature than I usually find, but not explicit. It was meant to be, though, because it was meant to be degrading to her (since there's a lot of racism towards her and her bodyguard). Then it went back to Arisa levels, but I only read the first 4 volumes, so take it with a grain of salt.

Oh, meaning Dawn of the Arcana, right?

Sorry, my mind was on Dengeki Daisy for a moment there. :P
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:01 am

xD" Whoops! I should have clarified! Yes, I'm talking about Dawn of the Arcana.
Atria35

Postby Exlon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm wondering if I should get the first volume of 4 different series I'm interested in, or if I should pick 2 series and get the first two volumes of each (since I usually feel like 2 volumes is easier to judge a sample by). What do you guys think? And of the four series, if I had to pick 2, which should I try first? (The Earl and the Fairy, A Devil and Her Love Song, Dawn of the Arcana, Dengeki Daisy)
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:30 pm

^ I agree that two volumes is easier to tell. I wasn't that fond of the Earl and the Fiary anime, so I'd go with two of the other three. You'd probably enjoy Dengeki Daisy, so of the other two... Well, whichever you're feeling like. Dawn of the Arcana is both a dark fantasy/political shoujo. Things are not happy-happy-joy-joy, she deals with potential assasinations, slander, there is slavery/genocide that happened a while back and racism that's ongoing because of it. I know I enjoy that sort of thing, but I don't know if you do. But that can help make the decision.
Atria35

Postby Exlon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:50 pm

So, now I've read 1-3 of A Devil and Her Love Song, 1-2 of The Earl and the Fairy, 1-2 of Dawn of the Arcana, and the first volume of Dengeki Daisy. I like the first two fine, but I think I like the latter two more (or find them more interesting I guess). So yeah. ^^' The only question is whether I should pursue one series at a time or just take the next volume of each. Must learn to budget somehow (not my skill at all, especially when I'm hooked on a series).
Exlon

Postby BTE2280 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:19 am

Mangas I've enjoyed reading and still reading: Bold=Still Reading
Naruto
One Piece
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Reborn!
Rurouni Kenshin
Case Closed
Sword Art Online
Kingdom
Psyren
Fairy Tail
Trigun/Trigun Maximum
Yu Yu Hakusho
Beet The Vandel Buster
[B]+C Sword and Cornett

HandxRed
Fire Emblem Hasha no Tsurugi (Champions Sword)
BTE2280

Postby goldenspines » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:34 pm

Hello there, BTE2280. This thread is for giving or asking for manga recommendations. For just listing manga that you are reading, we have a thread just for that here: http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=8724

Though, you do seem to be giving recommendations of manga you enjoy reading, but it's a bit vague. Perhaps a bit of explanation on why you like those particular manga would be beneficial to all the members that want to know a bit more about each series you suggested so they can check out the ones that would be of interest to them. Thanks! ^__^
goldenspines

Postby wildpurplechild » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:18 am

I'd like to read Okami-San and her seven companions. Does anyone know what the content is like?
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

recommend me a new manga?

Postby Meira » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:02 am

i originally posted this as a thread but i hadn't seen this one yet so its been moved.

anyways i am looking for a manga to follow, a new manga that has just started and isn't finished, maybe something thats only got a few volumes so far maybe only like 5 or 6 volumes in, it can be more as long as its not near to being finished, I'd like something a bit long i can follow over time. so far i have read only finished mangas but i really would like to get into something that isn't finished, I've never really had that anticipation of waiting for each volume and following a story as it is made. it doesn't need to be popular or be by a popular mangaka, in fact i find a lot of obscure things interesting.

here is basically the kinds of things i like, a list of manga's and animes i have read/watched and enjoyed maybe you can recommend something for me going by this.

i have enjoyed: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Ouran High School Host Club and Fruits Basket, those are the only mangas i have read, i have seen the animes to each.

animes i have enjoyed are Inuyasha, Code Geass, Black Cat, Kaze no Stigma

i know some of you may not have read and watched what i listed, if so then i would just like something with enough action and fantasy, a good complex plot, some romance. i also like shoujo and slice of Life too.

also i know that if its just starting out then it most likely wont be in English, but i am hoping there are some out there that are scanned and translated as their released. i WILL buy the official translated release once it is available, so i dont mind if its online. however if by chance there are some new mangas that are also being released in English so i can buy each volume that would be even better that waiting and reading scans.
Last edited by Meira on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world, there is only the inevitable."
- Yuko Ichihara

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Meira

Re: recommend me a new manga?

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:26 pm

For future reference, here's the thread for manga recommendations. A mod will probably be along soon to merge this thread with that one.

I'm only reading one manga that's just a couple volumes in: A Bride's Story, which is kind of a historical romance with just three volumes out so far.

I read more that are incomplete, though. If action is most important to you, there's Shingeki no Kyojin (translated as "Attack on Titan") and Tegami Bachi, both of which are licensed. There isn't really romance in either. Yotsuba&! is a slice-of-life and licensed.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun and Kuragehime ("Princess Jellyfish") are both romantic comedies, without action or fantasy elements. Chihayafuru is a sports/friendship/drama thing with a little bit of romance in it. It's lovely and you might like it if you enjoy stuff that balances characters' relationships with pursuing their objectives ("I wanna be the very best at [skill]!"). All three of these have unlicensed manga, but licensed anime.

One title I haven't read but heard good things about is Akagami no Shirayuki-Hime, which is a fantasy romance. It's unlicensed.
FllMtl Novelist

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews