Manga Recommendations Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:32 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1530228) wrote:...main characters are illegitimate children...
Er... admittedly, it's been a while since I read the volumes that pertain to this :sweat:, but I'm actually pretty sure that's not the case...

Anyway :), here are my current top five manga:

#1: Fruits Basket (Current Personal MAL Rating: 10/10)
- Content: Already stated.
- Why you should read it: There's definitely a reason that it still is (and, in fact, likely always will be) my #1 favorite manga. First, there's the main character, who is absolutely amazing-- she just pours light and hope and life into everyone around her, no matter what. So, when she comes into contact with this big extended family of generationally-cursed (and thus, at this point, pretty seriously screwed-up :P) people, the effect is truly awesome. Add to that the fact that (despite their large number) all of the characters, complete with their personalities, mental states, emotions, relationships, and etc., are fleshed out extremely well and are very believable (even the outrageous ones)]Death Note[/B] (Current Personal MAL Rating: 10/10)
- Content: Lots of what you'd guess from the title :P, though the violence was really not very graphic from what I can remember. Also a couple instances of fanservice.
- Why you should read it: Supernatural Mystery Thriller that it is, my favorite way of describing this series is that it's like Sherlock Holmes on supernatural steroids-- and with the bad guy as the protagonist! The good guys are awesome, the battle of wits is utterly, addictingly genius, and the writing is nothing short of brilliant all-around-- which made it the most mentally-stimulating thing I'd read in a long time.

#3: Fullmetal Alchemist (Current Personal MAL Rating: 10/10)
- Content: Already stated.
- Why you should read it: This series has a great concept, awesome characters, and an equally-excellent, complex plot-- complete with plenty of humor, plenty more fairly-intense action, and a great conclusion. What more needs to be said? :)

#4: The Lucifer And Biscuit Hammer, a.k.a. Hoshi no Samidare (Current Personal MAL Rating: 10/10)
- Content: Some violence. Also contains a fair amount of fanservice, though some of it seems to be rather satirical.
- Why you should read it: It's kinda difficult to describe this series properly without giving away any spoilers, but what I can say is that there's a good reason why it's one of the few manga I've rated a full 10/10 on MAL (and also why I set it into a close-4th-place spot on my top-favorite-manga list). The story-- and, again, I can't do it justice here without spoilers, so I'll just mention that included in this is an excellent ending and some fantastic character growth throughout-- pretty much erase any possible negatives (of which there's little anyway).

#5: Kimi to Boku. (Current Personal MAL Rating: 9/10)
- Content: Nothing that I can recall aside from one minor character having a slightly pervy mind (and thus somewhat embarassing the other characters with what he says :P) during one chapter.
- Why you should read it: It's a well-paced slice-of-life series focused on a group of boys who feel like real people, (almost :P) all of whom I absolutely adore; humor that is spot-on (and usually downright hilarious! :lol:); and, really-- after you get past the first chapter-- is just plain excellent all-around.

Hope that helps! :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:30 pm

I dunno guys, I don't remember where it was but Ed specifically mentions that his parents weren't married, which is why his last name is Elric (Trisha's last name) and not Hohenheim (Hohenheim's last name). It may be hard to remember since we're kind of used to referring to each other by first name, so we can assume Hohenheim is his first name (even though it is Van), I know I used to have that problem with Dumbledore. Anyways, yeah, I can go look it up later but I am like 99% sure I am right on this.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Exlon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:20 pm

So I got the first three volumes of Yotsuba&! off Amazon. I liked the first one okay, but I didn't find the rest all that fun or interesting, sadly. It could be that for once, this sort of thing isn't my cup of tea, or, I wondered if it might have something to do with the version. Apparently ADV or something was the first publisher, and their translation was better done than Yen Press's? As in it carried over better? 'Cause all three volumes I have are the newer ones published by Yen Press...

I like Ouran though. That's fun stuff. :) And I'm okay re-reading it.
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:13 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1530662) wrote:I dunno guys, I don't remember where it was but Ed specifically mentions that his parents weren't married, which is why his last name is Elric (Trisha's last name) and not Hohenheim (Hohenheim's last name). It may be hard to remember since we're kind of used to referring to each other by first name, so we can assume Hohenheim is his first name (even though it is Van), I know I used to have that problem with Dumbledore. Anyways, yeah, I can go look it up later but I am like 99% sure I am right on this.

Ohhhhh, I remember that now. You are correct.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:04 pm

Exlon (post: 1531339) wrote:So I got the first three volumes of Yotsuba&! off Amazon. I liked the first one okay, but I didn't find the rest all that fun or interesting, sadly. It could be that for once, this sort of thing isn't my cup of tea, or, I wondered if it might have something to do with the version. Apparently ADV or something was the first publisher, and their translation was better done than Yen Press's? As in it carried over better? 'Cause all three volumes I have are the newer ones published by Yen Press...

I like Ouran though. That's fun stuff. :) And I'm okay re-reading it.

ADV never published Yotsuba. It's probably just not your cup of tea.

So if you like Ouran, you should probably try

Special A
Penguin Revolution
Beauty Pop
La Corda d'Oro
Kuragehime
Gakuen Alice
High School Debut
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:22 pm

Atria35 (post: 1531398) wrote:ADV never published Yotsuba. It's probably just not your cup of tea.
Uh, yes they did. ADV put out the first five volumes of Yotsuba&! before their manga division collapsed.You can even pick up some of their old releases on Rightstuf
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Well, I still don't think that a different translation will make a difference as to whether Excelon likes it- a story about a little girl doing cute stuff is a story about a little girl who does cute stuff. I think the Yen Press version is simply hilarious and have never had an issue with it.

BTW- Excelon, nothing else on our lists appealed to you? Sorry to hear that. Had you already asked for recommendations for manga like Ouran?
Atria35

Postby Exlon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Atria35 (post: 1531403) wrote:Well, I still don't think that a different translation will make a difference as to whether Excelon likes it- a story about a little girl doing cute stuff is a story about a little girl who does cute stuff. I think the Yen Press version is simply hilarious and have never had an issue with it.

BTW- Excelon, nothing else on our lists appealed to you? Sorry to hear that. Had you already asked for recommendations for manga like Ouran?

Not specifically for manga like Ouran, I was just seeing which manga series would be available where I could get them (B&N or Amazon), and which ones looked interesting or non-objectionable. Sorry if I seem picky about trying to find stuff I like that doesn't contain any inappropriate images or odd stuff (ghosts, demons, whatever). It's hard figuring out exactly what type of manga I'd like. Maybe some stuff I don't bother looking up because I dislike the artwork, or don't find the description of interest. I'm so picky. XD

I picked up the first volume of Kimi no Todoke today though (as I read about half or so of it online), so I'm going to see how I like that one. At first I only wasn't sure 'cause the big deal about the main character is that she's supposed to look like the girl from a horror movie, and I think that only bugged me because I have a bad relationship with horror movies. XD Not to mention that the horror movie mentioned pretty much is my most badly-terrified-of movie. XD But I think I can get over for a manga.

I'll probably try re-reading Yotsuba later and see how I like it on second try. Maybe I just shouldn't read three volumes in a row or something, and it's the kind of thing to read in small doses. :P Kind of like how you can't play Nintendogs for 3 hours straight without getting bored soon enough.

And maybe I'll try Natsume's Book of Friends. 'Cause really, with all the Japanese mythological creatures he sees, it's not much different from a fantasy novel where the character finds out fairy tale creatures are real, right?
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:05 pm

Exlon (post: 1531479) wrote:And maybe I'll try Natsume's Book of Friends. 'Cause really, with all the Japanese mythological creatures he sees, it's not much different from a fantasy novel where the character finds out fairy tale creatures are real, right?

Actually, now that you've made that parallel, you're right! That is exactly the type of fantasy it is.

And it's okay to be picky, I am when it comes to certain things. It will severely limit what you end up reading, though... But I do recommend taking a chance on some even if the art doesn't appeal or the synopsis doesn't (because goodness knows I'm really bad at describing things and making them appealing!), at least for a few chapters, to see if you can't find something else that could interest you, story-wise.
Atria35

Postby Exlon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Atria35 (post: 1531508) wrote:Actually, now that you've made that parallel, you're right! That is exactly the type of fantasy it is.

And it's okay to be picky, I am when it comes to certain things. It will severely limit what you end up reading, though... But I do recommend taking a chance on some even if the art doesn't appeal or the synopsis doesn't (because goodness knows I'm really bad at describing things and making them appealing!), at least for a few chapters, to see if you can't find something else that could interest you, story-wise.

So I've probably read about half of the first volume online...at least two episodes anyway. I think I like it, and it's kind of interesting, but the problem is I'm kind of a wimp. Some of the spirits scare me. XD Like when I see one that particularly disturbs me (even though I know it's not that bad) I get a thrill/chill (whatever it is) running up my spine and my face and ears get hot the more I think about how creepy it is (this was more for the mistaken "bulb-boy" one than anything else. I think I read a fan translation though, so pardon me if the term makes no sense). XP I'm weird. So maybe that book's not for me. :P
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Well, can't help you with that! xD Glad you thought it was interesting, though!

I'm out of ideas, though. I feel.... :( Maybe you'd be willing to give Twin Spica a shot? Nothing really scary in it, it's about a girl who's attempting to be an astronaut.
Atria35

Postby Exlon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:38 pm

Atria35 (post: 1531527) wrote:Well, can't help you with that! xD Glad you thought it was interesting, though!

I'm out of ideas, though. I feel.... :( Maybe you'd be willing to give Twin Spica a shot? Nothing really scary in it, it's about a girl who's attempting to be an astronaut.

Gotta go to bed now, but maybe I'll look it up later. xD I'm such a wimp. I'm getting the second volume of Kimi ni Todoke just 'cause I feel like it's better to judge with 2 or 3 volumes than one. The fact that she's supposed to look like what was one of my worst nightmares doesn't help though. XD Slightly tense and keep glancing around. (Whatta wimp.) If I feel like after the second volume it still bothers me because I'm such fraidy cat, I'll quit, but I'll at least try to read it. Or maybe I need to get out of the house more. Something. Ha. xD
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Having seen the movie that Sawako is supposed to look like the lead from, I don't see any resemblance apart from the long hair- and there's no reason to be afraid of long hair, right? xD And since her personality is the direct opposite, it just goes over my head.
Atria35

Postby Exlon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:28 am

Atria35 (post: 1531554) wrote:Having seen the movie that Sawako is supposed to look like the lead from, I don't see any resemblance apart from the long hair- and there's no reason to be afraid of long hair, right? xD And since her personality is the direct opposite, it just goes over my head.

Yeah, I guess. I was thinking pretty much the whole time, "Solution! Get a short haircut like me! :D"
Exlon

Postby Maokun » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:24 am

So I see it falls to me to recommend 20th Century Boys and Monster (though perhaps you'll find Monster a lil bit disturbing, going by your reaction to other suggestions. 20th Century Boys should be alright, though. The only bad content I can think of is some cussing and that the bad guy starts a new religion, but it's pretty clear that early on that he's a fraud with delusions of grandeur trying to deceive people into thinking he's sort Of a prophet.

Besides that, it's a most excellent manga.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:59 pm

While I could never recommend Monster because I don't think it is a good manga, I can recommend 20th Century Boys because it is awesome, but it is worth pointing out that there is some nudity/sexual references, if that bugs you. It's not really servicey, barring a couple panty shots, but it's worth pointing out.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:40 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1532539) wrote:While I could never recommend Monster because I don't think it is a good manga,

You're right- it's 1000x better as an anime :grin:

I'm having some trouble with what to read next, and am hoping some of you could help me prioritize- on my list is:
Lucifer and the Buscuit Hammer
GTO
Arcana Soul
Battle Angel Alita
Eternal Sabbath
Tista

I'm not worried about the content, just need help prioritizing!
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:05 pm

Oh lolololol the Monster anime is way worse than the manga. All the writing problems but with new pacing issues to add to it!

Anyways, of the three of those I read, I definitely liked Biscuit Hammer the most, but Tista is short so you can take it down pretty fast, whereas I'd probably put Battle Angel last, but that might just be my hate for the romance.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Maokun » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:10 am

L&TBH first because sheez, what took you so long. Then Battle Angel Alita, and then something happy to serve as a chaser. BAA is excellent but it's not the most uplifting thing out there.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
Maokun

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:18 pm

Joining in on the "Read The Lucifer And Biscuit Hammer ASAP!" chorus. :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Atria35 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:24 pm

lol! I've already started it, and have finished the first two volumes. Never fear! (ps- it's awesome!!)
Atria35

Postby SakuraMist » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:10 am

I'm looking for some new Manga series to read, and was wondering if you guys could help me decide. XD

I've been trying out different mangas but...nothing has appealed to me so far.

Things I don't care for in a manga/anime: Yaoi/Yuri/Hentai (or anything along those lines) Strong sexual content (like...constant comments about chest size or sex itself), Occultic Magic (you know, summoning demons, pentagrams, hexagrams, pentacles, etc), blasphemy against God, etc.

I can handle simple fantasy magic as long as there are no occultic symbols/demons being summoned by "good" characters. Romance is fine, as long as it isn't overly sexual. Violence, I can handle.

Before anyone recommends FMA...I'm not too sure about that one. I heard the alchemy symbol used in it looks like a Hexagram, and that Edward goes on a rant about God, etc. So...I don't know. Death Note is a major no, for me.

I loved Rurouni Kenshin, so anything like that. I can handle darker mangas, but not with any of my avoided content. XD
SakuraMist

Postby SakuraMist » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:12 am

I'm looking for some new Manga series to read, and was wondering if you guys could help me decide. XD

I've been trying out different mangas but...nothing has appealed to me so far.

Things I don't care for in a manga/anime: Yaoi/Yuri/Hentai (or anything along those lines) Strong sexual content (like...constant comments about chest size or sex itself), Occultic Magic (you know, summoning demons, pentagrams, hexagrams, pentacles, etc), blasphemy against God, etc.

I can handle simple fantasy magic as long as there are no occultic symbols/demons being summoned by "good" characters. Romance is fine, as long as it isn't overly sexual. Violence, I can handle.

Before anyone recommends FMA...I'm not too sure about that one. I heard the alchemy symbol used in it looks like a Hexagram, and that Edward goes on a rant about God, etc. So...I don't know. Death Note is a major no, for me.

I loved Rurouni Kenshin, so anything like that. I can handle darker mangas, but not with any of my avoided content. XD

(Sorry if this posted twice. o_O XD)
SakuraMist

Postby Exlon » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Em...well, I've been reading Kimi ni Todoke, and that seems pretty clean to me. I'm only on volume 3, but that's my impression anyway. It's kind of simple and cute. You could try reading a bit of a fan translation online, that's what I did to try it out. I personally really enjoy Ouran High School Host Club, although there might be some mild sexual references every now and then, but they're not done in a vulgar way so much and it just comes across as light humor. I'm not even sure I really think of them as "sexual" references because they're so light. None of the characters get into anything like that though (read up to volume 10 as of now).
Exlon

Postby Maokun » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:44 pm

If you liked Kenshin, you may like Naruto: another action series starring not samurais, but ninjas. It does have one little thing that you may dislike: from time to time, the main character employs a technique that allows him to appear to other people like a naked woman (though nothing explicit is ever shown) that he uses to comedic effect to defeat some guys. It's handled very lightheartedly and only appears in a handful of occasions, most of them at the beginning of the manga, because as the series advances, he becomes a bit more serious and his stronger enemies are not the likes to fall for that trick.

One Piece is another great action series, much cleaner but also, much goofier compared to Kenshin. The only thing that you may not like is that there are some magic fruits that give strange powers to the characters in that world and they're called "Devil Fruits." However, that's just a name, there's no devil to speak of nor any other occult meaning hidden in it.

Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:49 pm

SakuraMist (post: 1534367) wrote:Before anyone recommends FMA...I'm not too sure about that one. I heard the alchemy symbol used in it looks like a Hexagram, and that Edward goes on a rant about God, etc. So...I don't know.

1. You are aware that the hexagram being used in such a way is waaaay more offensive to Jews than it is to Christians, right? ]One Piece[/B], it's a great manga. In terms of story it's no different from American superheroes that get zapped by radiation.

Hikaru no Go- the only offensive content is the ghost of a guy who was murdered, but that's barely even mentioned, and he goes to heaven during the story.

Trigun
- I really should mention this one, because it was written by a Christian and has strong Christian themes in it. Content is about equal, probably less than Kenshin.

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle - Is there magic? Yes. There's nothing remotely looking like magic-magic. There is a 'time witch', but her powers are limited, and she doesn't show up that often. It really is best understood when read with the crossover manga xxxHolic, which does deal entirely with mythology and imaginary beings. But it's very easy to take it as just that- *mythology* and *imaginary* beings, just there to make a good story. No more offensive than the mythology class at school.

Hrm.... If you want to get a bit into some classic manga, there's
Black Jack, which is a story about a doctor who treats extraordinary cases. There's a little language (I've read the first 9 volumes, it's about 1 d-word per volume, and these volumes are HUGE, so not often at all), and one or two glimpses of a breast when he's trying to treat someone. He does wrestle occasionally with why tragedy happens, when God shows that He's really the one in charge- and questions why God lets tragedies happen regardless of what he does. I think this is something a lot of doctors deal with, and it's not done in a way that's offensive at all.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:02 pm

Shingeki no Kyojin is a recent favorite of mine and definitely one of the best shonen things to come out as of late.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby steenajack » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:10 am

Has anyone read anything by Mark Crilley? http://www.markcrilley.com/

I'm curious to buy some of his work, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. I'm thinking of trying Miki Falls, Brody's Ghost, and his manga drawing instructional book "Mastering Manga with Mark Crilley". Has anyone read/enjoyed his work?
Could anyone give me the low-down of the content involving:

Sex/nudity/fanservice:
Yaoi/yuri:
Violence:
Swearing:
Drugs:
Other strange themes:

I'd appreciate the help. :) Thank you.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Exlon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:01 pm

So, two new series I'm thinking of as I browse more manga options. Otomen and Black Butler. Can anyone give me a rundown of content + rating please? :)
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Otomen - .... Um, perhaps 13+? I wouldn't say the content is any worse than Ouran, and I don't remember any implied homosexuality to boot.

Black Butler - The main character has summoned and made a contract with a demon. If you're still with me here, I would put the content a little higher, at about 15-16+, with some fighting, and.... and... jeez. It's been so long and the fandom has warped my memories of it >.>
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews