Metal Crafting

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Metal Crafting

Postby Mister » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Can anyone give me a decent guide to various types of metal Crafting?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so6IQ4GYm2o&feature=related

I'll never be the same, after meeting you. I'll never Love the same after Loving you. i'll never breath the same after breathing in your Life. Lord you change me.
Mister

Postby Esoteric » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:55 pm

Crafting metal for what purpose? Metal fab is a BIG field.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabrication_(metal)
Esoteric

Postby Mister » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:05 pm

for commercial sales, and personal pleasure :P

yard ornaments, signposts, gates, tables, chairs, candleholders/sticks, etc...

I'll never be the same, after meeting you. I'll never Love the same after Loving you. i'll never breath the same after breathing in your Life. Lord you change me.
Mister

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Chainmaille, possibly?
Ante Bellum

Postby Mister » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:58 pm

kinky, but no.

possible, but not likely

Mister

Postby Sheenar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:50 am

What type of welding? Stick? Mig? Another kind?
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Mister » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:33 am

i'm thinking stick, but i'd love to learn the technique from the old days, neh?

Mister

Postby Esoteric » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:27 am

I see. Yeah, if you plan to work with steel, iron, aluminum, you'll certainly want to take a class on welding and learn which sorts to use for which materials. As far as tables, it depends on the look you want. If you're thinking wrought iron, you're going to have to learn some blacksmithing. If you're thinking tube metal or sheet, you're going to need to cut, bend/brake-form pieces and then either weld, rivet or bolt the pieces together. Each of these methods present their own set of challenges and considerations.

Stuff like candlesticks...well material and shape is a big consideration. If you're thinking ornate stuff with a frilly carved appearance, you'll either be looking at welding chunks or iron together or learning to cast metal in forms.
If you're looking at slim symmetrical curving candlestick shapes, you can turn brass or aluminum on a lathe for an elegant look.

Basically, methods and tools requires are determined by the material being worked and the desired outcome. You cannot work with brass and steel for example in the same way. And even within a metal type there are often different alloys designed with certain purposes or manufacturing processes in mind. So, if you have a community or vocational college nearby, I'd strongly suggest you see what sorts of classes they offer in your area of interest. It's the best way to learn what you need.
Esoteric

Postby Sheenar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:29 am

Mister (post: 1490364) wrote:i'm thinking stick, but i'd love to learn the technique from the old days, neh?

That technique would require a forge and lots of money for tools and fuel for the forge. Modern-day welding is much less costly and time-consuming.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Mister » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:08 am

i see, i'll have to look into the local colleges. i'm sure there will be something. i still do not know much, but what you've both told me is helpful. thank you very much. please continue to instruct me as you deem necessary.

Mister

Postby Sheenar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:46 am

At my university, the Agricultural Mechanization program teaches many different types of welding techniques--I haven't taken any, but hang out with a lot of Ag Mech people and watch them work on stuff --like the rainwater harvesting system we built for a class.

Most IT/Technical/Trade -type colleges should have a welding program or at least welding classes.

Sheenar

Return to Tutorials