It's a Virus!

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

It's a Virus!

Postby DangoDaikazoku » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:34 am

I got a virus on my computer a couple days ago. It seems like it is a common virus (that my AVG that I just updated still failed to pick up!). It is that "Can't Open Anything" virus. Even in safe mode I can't get to system restore it keeps telling me to "Choose the program you want to use to open this file." The other message it will give is "aplication not found." The virus seems to have turned everything into an "exe" file.
When I looked on other ask-answer places they all said "go onto safe mode" but obviously that isn't helping since I still cannot get into system restore (or any programs!). The other option was to download a malware/free anitivirus scan onto a USB and then onto the infected computer. Do you have any other suggestions? And which malware should I use? (If I get a third virus on my computer this year my mom is going to flip out). Can you guys help me?
:?:
Thank You For Your Time,
DangoDaikazoku
DangoDaikazoku

Postby Ante Bellum » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:47 am

I wonder if Rkill will help. It's supposed to shut down malware, but you're not supposed to restart the computer after, you have to get antivirus/antimalware and get rid of the virus/malware. I'm sure others will know more though.
Ante Bellum

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:50 am

I use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Hasn't failed me yet. Might try putting that on a flash drive and seeing what happens.

Also you might consider switching to a more secure browser to help prevent this sort of thing. Firefox with the AdBlock Plus add-on installed would be one option.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Okami » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:53 am

I was going to recommend Rkill and Malwarebytes, since I just used both of those to purge a friend's laptop of a similar-sounding bug last week... So, yeah, what they said! XD
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Dante » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:48 pm

Can't guarantee anything, but I would try starting windows up in safe-mode with command prompt alone. Then, according to this, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-System-Restore-from-a-command-prompt

type,
rstrui.exe

press enter and see if it runs. If you can restore your computer to a time before you got the virus, it should run happy and fine.
Dante

Postby Jingo Jaden » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:15 pm

Malwarebytes anti malware. Saved me from a similar sort of virus.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Arya Raiin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:17 pm

Pascal (post: 1467446) wrote:Can't guarantee anything, but I would try starting windows up in safe-mode with command prompt alone. Then, according to this, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-System-Restore-from-a-command-prompt

type,
rstrui.exe

press enter and see if it runs. If you can restore your computer to a time before you got the virus, it should run happy and fine.

That could work. :thumb:

Since it won't let you run programs I guess this won't be much help. Spybot is a favorite program of mine that does a nice job of cleaning up your computer. However, be careful using it. It can destroy necessary files if you go crazy with it. :/

Once you get your computer fixed install WinPatrol to help keep your computer safe. The worst case scenario you'll have to take out windows (or whatever OS you're using) and reinstall it. I've heard of this virus before and from what I know there isn't much you can do about it. :( I wish I knew more!
Arya Raiin

Postby Peanut » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Out of curiosity do you happen to still have the CDs for your operating system? I ask because if all of these recomendations fail, it might just be easier to back up what you have and wipe the thing. I can think of a specific program that will get rid of that piece of malware through wiping your computer. So yeah, if all else fails, there's that.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:05 pm

I would second what Peanut says if all else fails, too. I got a very horrible virus/series of malware a few years ago, and it made my computer freak out completely. Wiping it clean did the trick, and I didn't lose any important information (since it was backed up and I could easily put it back on my computer). So if worse comes to worst, definitely give that a shot. It's not the most appealing way to deal with it, but it's a lot cheaper than buying a whole new computer.

Oh and if this happens (or even if it doesn't), I'd recommend getting some strong security systems to avoid it happening again. I use Malewarebytes' too, and I also have a security system called Microsoft Security Essentials to ward off viruses. With both systems on my computer, I've found myself saved from malicious software countless times. I'd recommend getting both, since (from what I've seen) Malwarebytes' specializes in malware and Security Essentials specializes in viruses.

I also use Firefox with Adblock and NoScript applications, to make sure I don't get any malicious scripts over the Internet. Between my Firefox/Adlbock/NoScript, Malwarebytes', and Microsoft Security Essentials system, my computer's almost invincible now. :)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby TheMewster » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Spyware Doctor plus Antivirus works for me. It's 30 or 40 bucks, but it's awesome. I heard AVG was useless, and Trend Micro stuff doesn't work, as when we switched to SDpA, my mom and I found 900 something infections of 22 viruses, some high risk ones, that Trend Micro never caught. :(
But since ya cant run programs, your best bet is to reinstall Windows. I did that once and had ALL my files on the computer still, just new settings, no viruses (then again, we were still using Trend Micro) and I had to reinstall my programs, but I still had my pics and Sims 2 Custom Content.
Then again, we probably just used the system restore program.
I hope your comp gets better and God bless you!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:52 am

AVG and Avast are two of the best free anti virus programs out there. I use Avast, because AVG has been known to take up RAM on the computer. Just about everyone that I know that deals with computers uses Avast with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Firefox with the AdBlock Plus add-on, No Flash add on and NoScript add-on.
Roy Mustang

Postby DangoDaikazoku » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:44 pm

Hey guys thanks for the advice! My computer's is all fixed up (I am on it now ^_^). Malwarebytes took care of it nice and dandy. We need to install our Nixon antivirus software onto it (Mom doesn't know why AVG was our anitvirus since all our other computers have Avast/ESET Smart Security 4.). You guys are pretty awesome! Thanks for being that way. CAA FOREVER!!!
Thank You For Your Time,
DangoDaikazoku
DangoDaikazoku

Return to Tutorials