Art help: Making hair for a [unique] project?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Art help: Making hair for a [unique] project?

Postby airichan623 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:13 pm

In my art class, I'm doing a very unique and original art project in an unusual medium. I am painting a picture of a woman on a mirror, using make up. In other words, the eyelashes were drawn with liquid eyeliner, the lips were drawn in lipstick and covered in lip gloss, and the face was painted in two kinds of foundation (and concealer). however, I currently am having an issue: i have no idea how I'm going to add the hair! i could potentially use a wig cut up, but the proportions and placing would be both difficult and messy. I have considered hair dye, but it might be too watery or, for that matter, too expensive. I would prefer not to use paint since it would conflict with the other elements, so I'd like to avoid pure paint if possible.
Any ideas? Any would be helpful.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:20 pm

What about some kind of eyeliner pencil or eyeshadow crayon?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby airichan623 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:42 pm

it would work, but I was looking for a possibility that more 'hair related'

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Diamond Dragon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Hair glitter?
(Pic made by Bio! <3)

DiamondDragon - the Sky pokemon
Ruling the skies on its thick wings, this Pokemon is feared by all flying beasts. Its twinkling wings change in the sunlight. Some people believe that this pokemon actually has diamonds that grow on its skin. Despite its intimidating size, it is an extremely friendly ally and a very dangerous enemy.
@)}~`,~
Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
http://dragcave.net/view/JXKV4
Diamond Dragon

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:22 pm

What about that hair color that you spray on? Like the kind you find in stores around Halloween?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:17 pm

Aren't there like Hair color markers (like they are strange colors and stuff) Or maybe you can find some of those clip on fake hair things. (which might beexpensive too)

Hmm maybe a trip to google, and looking up hair products or anything related would be helpful? Sounds like an interesting idea though, keep it up! :)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby c.t.,girl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:34 pm

actually i don't think hair dye would be too watery...if you just use the color paste maybe? hair dye can cost up to $12 but as low as $6. /shrug
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby goldenspines » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:43 pm

To go off of what CTGirl said, there is also foaming hair dye you could try (not sure how well it dries or sticks to a surface though). But, I've seen that for a little less than $20, which is a bit spendy. :\

Otherwise, you could draw it on with an eyebrow pencil (using your awesome art skills to make it look like hair), or you could buy cheap hair extensions things (I know some accessory shops sometimes sell them), or yes, you can buy a cheap wig and cut it up. Depending on the hair style you go for, buying an extra long wig may be able to work for you.

I wish I had more ideas than that. I'll think about it more, though. You may have to stretch out and use something that's not really "hair" or "makeup" related, but still able to give you a great result.
goldenspines

Postby c.t.,girl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:45 pm

OR you could print out hair dying instructions on different color paper, rip up the paper and make hair by pasting on the paper? :D that'd be pretty cool!
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Return to Tutorials