How to Multi-Quote

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

How to Multi-Quote

Postby GeneD » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:18 am

A guide to simultaneously quoting and replying to more than one post in a thread. Hopefully it will help reduce "post clutter" and streamline things better, especially in some of the discussion heavy threads. As far as I know you can multi-quote as many posts as you want, my example uses 3.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5008/multiquote.png

Feel free to let me know if anything is unclear.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:50 am

Wow, I didn't bother to find out what that button did... I just manually clicked quote on all the posts, then copied them all to one of the quoted replies. But that way's better.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Okami » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:43 am

I used to do what Warrior mentioned...I *very* recently started playing with the Multi-Quote button and learned how to work it that way. xD
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Lynna » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:41 am

Wow!! Thank you soo much!
Sometimes, I would quote one person, then use the quote button fr the rest, sometimes manually adding their name and post number.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:45 am

Cool! I've been here all this time and never knew that. Thanks.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Lilac#18 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:51 pm

[color="Plum"]I'd figured it out myself on the year I've joined. Thanks for this thread because there are some members that don't know how to mult-quote.[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Lol, I remember asking in the FAQ thread since I saw others doing it XD I never payed attention to the buttons.. lol

I think this will do better in Tutorials ^__^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:50 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1462095) wrote:Cool! I've been here all this time and never knew that. Thanks.

Selenite (post: 1462122) wrote:[color="Plum"]I'd figured it out myself on the year I've joined. Thanks for this thread because there are some members that don't know how to mult-quote.[/color]

Tsukuyomi (post: 1462170) wrote:Lol, I remember asking in the FAQ thread since I saw others doing it XD I never payed attention to the buttons.. lol

I don't get it.

:grin: Couldn't resist!
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:39 pm

I used to always use manual quote tags but this is pretty convenient.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Oh man this is the best thread! I love the multi-quote feature and have explained it to users on more than one occasion, but it's so nice to have this as a resource! XD Thanks for taking the time to make this!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby TopazRaven » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:06 pm

I just wanted to let you know I love you for this.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby SnoringFrog » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:13 pm

I've tried on several occasions to get that thing to work, but was never able to, or at least not able to remember whenever I finally did get it right. Thanks for posting this! You're probably in my top 231 favorite people now.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Furen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:57 pm

Because I always see so many people multi quoting, I thought everyone else already knew...
Thanks for showing some people a way to post faster!
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Ella Edric » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:09 pm

GeneD (post: 1462052) wrote:A guide to simultaneously quoting and replying to more than one post in a thread. Hopefully it will help reduce "post clutter" and streamline things better, especially in some of the discussion heavy threads. As far as I know you can multi-quote as many posts as you want, my example uses 3.

Warrior4Christ (post: 1462053) wrote:Wow, I didn't bother to find out what that button did... I just manually clicked quote on all the posts, then copied them all to one of the quoted replies. But that way's better.

Okami (post: 1462084) wrote:I used to do what Warrior mentioned...I *very* recently started playing with the Multi-Quote button and learned how to work it that way. xD

Lynna (post: 1462092) wrote:Wow!! Thank you soo much!
Sometimes, I would quote one person, then use the quote button fr the rest, sometimes manually adding their name and post number.

ShiroiHikari (post: 1462095) wrote:Cool! I've been here all this time and never knew that. Thanks.

Selenite (post: 1462122) wrote:[color="Plum"]I'd figured it out myself on the year I've joined. Thanks for this thread because there are some members that don't know how to mult-quote.[/color]

Tsukuyomi (post: 1462170) wrote:Lol, I remember asking in the FAQ thread since I saw others doing it XD I never payed attention to the buttons.. lol

Rusty Claymore (post: 1462174) wrote:I don't get it.

:grin: Couldn't resist!

ShiroiHikari (post: 1462189) wrote:I used to always use manual quote tags but this is pretty convenient.

Radical Dreamer (post: 1462192) wrote:Oh man this is the best thread! I love the multi-quote feature and have explained it to users on more than one occasion, but it's so nice to have this as a resource! XD Thanks for taking the time to make this!

TopazRaven (post: 1462201) wrote:I just wanted to let you know I love you for this.

SnoringFrog (post: 1462204) wrote:I've tried on several occasions to get that thing to work, but was never able to, or at least not able to remember whenever I finally did get it right. Thanks for posting this! You're probably in my top 231 favorite people now.

Furen (post: 1462246) wrote:Because I always see so many people multi quoting, I thought everyone else already knew...
Thanks for showing some people a way to post faster!

Like this? XD
[color="LightBlue"]"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." --Thomas Jefferson [/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Pink"]~Proud member(and starter), of the sisterhood of CAA.~ [/color][/font]
[color="YellowGreen"]Furen: Without you Canada would be feeling bad. we'd all be depressed [/color]
CognitiveGear 07:08 - I hear that Jesus is a pretty rad dude who teaches us to love everyone.
[color="Silver"]Midknight74012 09:04 - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine[/color]
[color="Red"]@)}~`,~[/color] [color="SeaGreen"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="RoyalBlue"]This is MOES[/color]:dance:
Ella Edric

Postby Furen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:54 pm

Ella Elric (post: 1462421) wrote:Like this? XD

Nope, you spelled my name wrong...
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Ella Edric » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:40 pm

Furen (post: 1462450) wrote:Nope, you spelled my name wrong...

huh? XD
[color="LightBlue"]"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." --Thomas Jefferson [/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Pink"]~Proud member(and starter), of the sisterhood of CAA.~ [/color][/font]
[color="YellowGreen"]Furen: Without you Canada would be feeling bad. we'd all be depressed [/color]
CognitiveGear 07:08 - I hear that Jesus is a pretty rad dude who teaches us to love everyone.
[color="Silver"]Midknight74012 09:04 - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine[/color]
[color="Red"]@)}~`,~[/color] [color="SeaGreen"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="RoyalBlue"]This is MOES[/color]:dance:
Ella Edric

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:51 pm

...I used to quote one by one, then cut/paste, until my brother showed me how to multi-quote. I assumed everyone but me knew. XD

However I didn't know that you only had to use the quote button on the third post. I thought you had to hit the multi-quote button, then the quote button. I guess either way works. I'll save a few clicks now. Thanks for posting this!
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Furen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:43 pm

NAME CHANGE! (Much more obvious now.) wrote:huh? XD

Oh wait, never mind, I spelled your name wrong in the quote button
Furen

Postby ST. Attidude » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks for the tip GeneD! I will certainly put that into memory! :)
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:08 pm

You know what's even cooler? METAQUOTES.
GeneD wrote:A guide to simultaneously quoting and replying to more than one post in a thread. Hopefully it will help reduce "post clutter" and streamline things better, especially in some of the discussion heavy threads. As far as I know you can multi-quote as many posts as you want, my example uses 3.

Warrior4Christ wrote:Wow, I didn't bother to find out what that button did... I just manually clicked quote on all the posts, then copied them all to one of the quoted replies. But that way's better.
Okami wrote:I used to do what Warrior mentioned...I *very* recently started playing with the Multi-Quote button and learned how to work it that way. xD
Lynna wrote:Wow!! Thank you soo much!
ShiroiHikari wrote:Cool! I've been here all this time and never knew that. Thanks.
Radical Dreamer wrote:Oh man this is the best thread! I love the multi-quote feature and have explained it to users on more than one occasion, but it's so nice to have this as a resource! XD Thanks for taking the time to make this!

So meta, man.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:46 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1463153) wrote:You know what's even cooler? METAQUOTES.

So meta, man.

Um, as in nested?
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Return to Tutorials