photoshop manga pens?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

photoshop manga pens?

Postby Dante » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Recently, I made a major acquisition in life. I purchased a 10x12 inch Wacom tablet ^_^. Before you think I'm that rich, I picked it up used for $140 of Craigslist. But anyways, I've been trying to ink in my artwork with it and having a slight bit of trouble.

While I can get the brushes to curve like I want (I'm adapting far faster then I thought I would), I still can't find a way to make my ink LOOK like actual manga pen ink. It just looks like a standard brush in PSP 11, PSP7 and Photoshop Ellements. I thought I would be clever and purchase Manga Studio Debut. This works OK, but they were cheap and didn't alias the line so it looks either dead black or dead white - killing the organic feel I went out to buy a tablet FOR.

Then it hit me over the head. There are so many different people drawing manga on tablets, someone must have designed a good manga pen set! Right? Well, maybe, but I sure can't find them. I've done the standard dumb Google searches but nothing has shown up that really looks like what I'm talking about.

So my question is this. Does anyone know where I can get a photo-shop brush set (I'll see if I can drag it kicking and screaming into elements) that looks like an organically drawn manga pen?
Dante

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:06 pm

can you MAKE brushes in elements? I usually just make the brush I need at the time in PS. If not, check Deviantart, brushpacks abound there.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Dante » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:43 pm

Hmmm... that's a good question. I've also checked Deviant art, but they try too hard. I'm not looking for a brush that creates galaxies, or has extremely jagged edges, I just want a brush that subtly looks like a drawing line from one of my manga pens XD.
Dante

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:41 pm

And how does that look?
Ante Bellum

Postby Dante » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Well it doesn't look good. Admittedly though I think I found a brush in elements that I can live with. If I just play with the pen 'just right' it tends to give me a rather nice edge. You know, kind of like a pen, but with a little bleeding on either side. Not bad really. If I find something better, I'll be sure to post it on here.
Dante

Postby ST. Attidude » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:56 pm

I'm thinking that maybe you can achieve your desired effect by adjusting the brush stroke spacing, but I'm curious Pascal; which tablet model is it?
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:01 am

A little bleeding...you could make a custom brush with lighter, fuzzier edges.
Ante Bellum

Postby Dante » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:10 am

I'm thinking that maybe you can achieve your desired effect by adjusting the brush stroke spacing, but I'm curious Pascal; which tablet model is it?

It's an Intuos 2, works great and I'm loving it!
Dante

Return to Tutorials