IPod Touch question

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

IPod Touch question

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Hey, guys, I was thinking about getting an IPod Touch or an IPhone or something, mostly because you can download Japanese language software like Kotoba, which allows you to use the touchscreen to look up the definition of certain kanji. Now what I was wondering is, can you download the same software for a Touch as for an IPhone, and if you get an IPhone, do you have to get service? Does the Touch work anywhere there's wifi?

I've never gotten an IPod or anything like that before so I'm a complete n00b as to how they work. I can get an electronic dictionary that will do the same kind of thing but I think a Touch is a better use of my money because I'd be able to use it for a lot more types of things. But I want to make the best investment possible because these things just aren't cheap.

Does anyone here use Kotoba or similar software on their I-product? What has been your experience with the touchscreen Apple products?
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:40 pm

You can pretty much get the same apps on the iPod as you can the iPhone. If you get the iPhone, you have to buy a plan through AT&T, or whatever company happens to carry it. But anyways, you need a plan. With an iPod Touch, you just need Wi-Fi to access the Internet, but it's not required for anything that doesn't need the Internet. It's not as fast as using a laptop or desktop, but that's to be expected. There are also some things you can't do with it, such as view Flash on the Internet. But, for general use, it's probably worth it. I've even used the CAA chat with mine. I don't think I've ever tried Kotoba before, but the touchscreen is usually pretty good. My 2nd gen, which is a couple years old, still works great (I usually keep it in a good case and put a screen protector over it, and overall don't abuse the thing; I recommend doing that.).
Anyways, I suggest you go for the iPod over the iPhone.
Ante Bellum

Postby goldenspines » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:56 pm

I echo what Ante said. I also own an iPod touch (the newest one) and I have Kotoba on it. Works like a charm and actually, once you download Kotoba, you can look up things on it outside a wi-fi zone.

Most (if not all) apps can go on the iPhone, since they were originally designed for the iPhone before the iPod Touch and the iPad (I believe). Not all of them can go on an iPod, but a lot of them can.

In terms of investment, it would depend what you were going to use it for and how much you wanted to pay (the iPhone isn't useful without internet, which you have to pay for (but you can get it anywhere, or so I hear), while the iPod Touch can get it at any wi-fi spot)
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:00 pm

I don't have any personal experience with any i-products, but I will say this.

Ankh wholeheartedly endorses the iPad and iPhone. If he finds it invaluable for keeping track of the Core Medals, imagine what it can do for less important things like dictionaries and such!

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Return to Tutorials