Japanese Help Thread

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:03 pm

How do you say/write "I like video games", "I'm bored" and "I want to get married"?
Selenite, I don't think you should get married just cause you are bored... XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Masaru » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:09 pm

Selenite (post: 1438241) wrote:[color="Plum"]How do you say/write "I like video games", "I'm bored" and "I want to get married"?[/color]

"I like video games" = テ]

I'm not sure on "I'm bored" yet.. all I know is that つまらない [tsumaranai] is boring but that's not quite the same thing.

As for "I want to get married", it's けっこんしたいです。 [kekkonshitai desu]
I can explain how to make verbs into wanting statements if you like but I'll leave it at that for now. =P
Masaru

Postby Lilac#18 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:13 pm

[color="Plum"]Thanks. Can you please explain the verbs?[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby Masaru » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:18 pm

Alright then.. well, among all the different verb forms, the place you'll most often start when creating other ones is the "dictionary form". I'd use the same verb I gave you but "to get married" is an irregular verb and explaining all that might be too much at once. x.x; I'll use たべる [taberu], "to eat" as an example 'cause it's pretty straightforward. xD

In order to explain wanting though, a quick thing about conjugating them into polite present form: (dictionary form is used in casual speech)

To turn taberu into polite present, you just drop the -ru and add -masu, so it becomes tabemasu. (Sorry if you already knew all this x_x;; I felt I had to mention it though because there's another kind of verb that works slightly differently.)

Then to change your statement into wanting to eat, you get rid of -masu and change it to -tai desu, so it'll then become tabetai desu.

I hope everything's clear/it wasn't too long, but if you're still wondering about anything feel free to ask!
Masaru

Postby Lilac#18 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:06 pm

[color="Plum"]So how would you say "I want to get married" in a more polite form?[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

Lilac#18

Postby Masaru » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:36 pm

Well, kekkonshitai desu pretty much is the polite form. =P
There is another one that's even more super polite but I don't know it yet and you probably wouldn't need it; it's the equivalent of addressing people with "sir" or "ma'am" in English.
Masaru

Postby Lilac#18 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:54 pm

[color="Plum"]Oh, o.k., thanks.:)[/color]
FKA Selenite

Lilac#18

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:35 pm

@Ms. Stella : ありがとうございます . あなたはとても親切だ .
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Previous

Return to Tutorials