Home remedies for sinus infection?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Home remedies for sinus infection?

Postby Ella Edric » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:53 pm

Hey you guys! I have a sinus infection, and I was wondering if anyone knows any home remedies to dull the symptoms. ^^ I really dont know if there are any, so this thread may be completely pointless. xD But I dont really want to rely on drugs. XP
Thanks! :hug:
Ella Edric

Postby Nate » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Google wins again.

http://www.ehow.com/about_4762328_home-remedies-cure-sinus-infection.html

If these don't work though, definitely get some medical treatment. I also will note I haven't tried any of these before, so I can't vouch for how well they work, but just using logic it seems like it'd do the trick (you don't want to make the mucus thick because then it won't drain well, so avoid foods that thicken it, like alcohol).

YOU HEAR THAT? No more beer for you. You drunk. :l

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Ella Edric » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:21 pm

Oh! Thats quite helpful! Thank you Nate! :hug: And dont worry, I'll resist the bar temptations for a while. XD
Ella Edric

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:43 pm

Oh my goodness, my home remedy for a sinus infection is called medicine. XD Honestly though, infections of any kind are a nasty, nasty thing to deal with, and your best bet is to go to a doctor for professional medical help if that's what you really think it is.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:24 pm

There's also over-the-counter help, like salt water nasal spray (that didn't really help me, but my infection was too far gone at that point for it to work >.>") But that's supposed to help clear out the sinuses.

And if it lasts for a few days, definitely consider going to a doctor.
Atria35

Postby shooraijin » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:30 pm

Yes, you can use things like saline nasal sprays, or neti pots (they are sold with instructions). None of this will do any harm if you have a real infection; they just won't work. However, absolutely avoid spray decongestants such as Afrin and generic versions. They end up doing more harm than good, especially if used for more than a couple of days.

Keep in mind sinusitis is actually not all that common. It happens, but it's frequently confused with severe sinus congestion, which is not an infection but can be almost as uncomfortable. Only a thorough examination by a medical professional will tell the difference and the treatment is different. Simple congestion does not resolve with antibiotics, and antibiotics alone are sometimes not enough for complicated sinusitides.

My suggestion to you is try something like the above. If you don't get relief in a few days or it gets considerably worse, have it checked out.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby wildpurplechild » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:56 am

I hear netty pots work well. it's basically a mini teapot type thing with warm salt water in it that you poor through your nose. Sounds weird, and I've never used one, but I hear they work.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Mr. Rogers » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:15 am

Most go away on their own after about a week, but it's never a bad idea to get it checked if it starts to get bad or doesn't improve in a few days.
Mr. Rogers

Postby Ella Edric » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:47 pm

Thanks guys for all your help! This all has been very useful! ^_^ :hug:
Ella Edric

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:57 pm

Garlic works for a lot of people, though I seem to be rather resistent to it (Trying 9 cloves a day next time) and you need to build up to a consequential amount. Garlic can destroy your stomach. In addition to helping cure infections, it also helps with Diarrhea, which is a common side effect of fungus based antibiotics.

That only gets rid of the infection, and may not treat the cause of the infection, which is your nasal passages not opening and draining properly, and the excess production of mucas.

I did a variation on the neti pot, and... Well, it didn't stop my nasal allergies, and it was a hassle every day... I eventually stopped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Furen » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:18 pm

Garlic works for a lot of people

Although don't use garlic on your feet because you DO end up getting garlic breath...
Furen

Return to Tutorials