[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Quick Japanese Phrase to Translate? - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Quick Japanese Phrase to Translate?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Quick Japanese Phrase to Translate?

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:30 pm

My mom is writing the speech for my uncle and aunt's wedding and wants to know how to say "Welcome to the family, Yuri" in Japanese (I'm not sure how well online translators would work and I don't think that they would give it in romanji anyways.). If someone could help that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Ante Bellum

Postby JaniceMcPherson » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Unless you are attending the wedding in Japan, I suggest not speaking in "Nihongo" or Japanese. You should say it in your language, because if you do mention it incorrectly, it can be taken as offensive.

At the end of the speech, add "Yuri-san, omedetou gozaimasu."
(pronounced O-MEH-DA-TOE GO-ZAI-MAS)

(Which is the proper general 'congrats' for a wedding from a person who is not Japanese. It means "Congratulations very much". Only people who are Japanese are required to give a more formal congratulations. I don't say that to insult your intentions, it's just the proper way of Japanese culture.)

If he responds with "Arigatou" or "Arigatou Gozaimasu" (Thank you), then you can say "Dou Itashimashite" (DOE ITA-SHEE-MASH-TAY - You're welcome - which is best for your situation. Honorifics and Humble forms aren't required for weddings from outsiders.)
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.
JaniceMcPherson

Return to Tutorials