Teach me Korean.

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Teach me Korean.

Postby Ingemar » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:54 pm

*waits for Mr. SmartyPants to come rushing in*

This Thanksgiving, I'm traveling to my folks' house and they are currently hosting a Korean [student?] who is 28 years old and male. So far the only thing I know how to say is "yobahseoh" or however you write that; and I know that's only for saying "hi" on the phone.

Any other basic things/etiquette/???
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:01 pm

Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mr. Rogers » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:27 pm

There's a great Korean course called integrated korean
Mr. Rogers

Postby Ingemar » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:14 pm

Woah.

The Korean word for "yes" is exactly the same word used in Greek.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:41 pm

I miss watching k-dramas 8( I'd hear those phrases all the time when I did ^__^

*Runs off and bookmarks page* \o.o/ Thank you RyanFace ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Strafe » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:21 pm

lol. i'm Korean... and I speak very little korean. But Here's an interesting thing though. There are two ways to say goodbye, depending on whether or not the other person is leaving. It's really weird.

So you go Ahn-yong-he-ka-se-yoh if they're leaving

and Ahn-yong-he-keh-se-yoh if they're staying.

(I could have gotten them mixed up though.)

and mind your Ls. Unlike Japanese Ls that are Rs, Korean Ls are thick and heavy. Do this by putting your tongue back and sort of speaking below your throat-ish. You really have to hear it to know what it sounds like.
This is an original signature
Strafe

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:12 am

I'm surprised that outside of the two phrases I learned before I got here, I haven't picked up a single bit of Korean... I almost got a few things today, I think, but I've forgotten them.

The whole three letter system of syllables is really strange... The pronunciation of nearly all consonants changes depending on what position in the syllable it is, and the syllable system is a lot more complex in Korean than in Japanese...

i'm not sure if I'll make a dedicated effort to learn Korean thoroughly... I've put too much effort into japanese to start another language (even if I'll be living here the next year), and I haven't mastered it enough to be able to keep if and move onto a third... I know I should just learn numbers and towns and how to read hangul (which seems to be how they say the Korean language in general, and not just the writing, though it could be that I'm hearing it wrong...) and that should be enough. I actually find alphabets harder to learn than syllabaries, though... If there were a third Japanese syllabary, I could probably pick it up in a week... This honestly seems a lot harder because of the weird rules about it (though I suppose English has worse ones)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Return to Tutorials