Younger members, please read

Talk about anything in here.

Postby goldenspines » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:37 pm

*gives Nate a golden star*
You make a awesome point, Nate.
It's sad to see so many people revealing they're whole lives on the internet, totally unaware a that someone like Nate could be stalking them.
goldenspines

Postby soul alive » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:18 pm

So true - thanks for the warning, Nate.

Another scary thing is Facebook - while it is a networking website, it's now open to anyone, not just students... though you can make your information available only to friends, something I highly recommend doing.

Thankfully, I should be fairly hard to track down where I'm currently living - going to college out of state, no local phone number, no listed address.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby samuraidragon » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:47 pm

soul alive wrote:Thankfully, I should be fairly hard to track down where I'm currently living - going to college out of state, no local phone number, no listed address.
Ditto. I homeschool, I have an unlisted number and address, I live in a large city.

With what Nate said though, I read a story recently where a stalker-type used only a photo and the name of a girl's city to find her. Albeit it took him quite a while as he was looking pretty hard-core.
Don't everybody freak out though, it was one of those they-where-chatting-together-online-and-she-gave-him-her-picture things, there probably isn't much danger in just posting your picture online. Which reminds me to say, if someone on a chat or something makes you uncomfortable, or seems not quite right, don't continue to talk to them.
-マックスウェル

"My my, the cruelest lies are often told without a word; my my, the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." Ben Folds, The Last Polka

No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friend - John 15:13
samuraidragon

Postby AsianBlossom » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:37 pm

Thanks for posting this. This is why I won't even make my age public on here.
AsianBlossom

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:15 pm

I hate to rain on the "picture without location is OK" parade, but if you click a link on someone's forum/blog/etc, you may as well be giving your town away. The IP address you view the page from is sent everytime you look at a webpage, etc. Since you guys visit my server, I can see every town you come from. If I examine the packets more closely, I can see every switch your data packets come from - this lets me track the internet route the packet took and narrow down exact local and in some cases get within a thousand feet of where you were using the internet.

And you don't have to be a computer geek to get this information. There are websites where you can just give the iP address to the site and get all the pertanent data back.

Just be cautious how much you trust people, out there.

- Mithrandir
Mithrandir

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:49 pm

Wow. That's interesting. Younger members need to really careful not only on this this site, but other sites not as safe as this....mainly Myspace. There have been girls tracked down and raped from what they considered "harmless" information on Myspace. That's all I have to say, really, most of it has already been mentioned. Just be careful.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Alice » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:50 pm

I wonder about this stuff sometimes.

I'm definitely not a kid anymore, (25), but I'm not always sure how much I should post my name on the internet.

On the one hand, as a writer, I should want my name "out there." And lots of authors do have websites, and it works fine for them.

But part of me is wary of posting anything like my name, or picture... or in some places, even my gender.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Sonicbomb77 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:35 pm

Since I first used a forum sometime, prolly in 2003 or sooner, I always thought this was obvious, yet even to this day I still here parents saying this. Its rather sad that no one listens or better yet sees why they should listen. I don't need to be shown an experiment to believe it, I know that kids these days know and have known the capabilities of the internet, but I suppose the reason why they still do it is the common refrence of "It won't happen to me" which then bugs me because then I would have to ask, why risk it? :\ What makes you so much more special because you have now pinpointed yourself to a recently made friend you made in a country several thousand miles away (or w/e they say about themselves).

This has to be one of the few topics I hate to bring up because it makes me feel like im extra stupid living in this generation.

And yes this topic did just cause me to rant >: (

EDIT: cleaned up most of the pointless ranting stuff to get to the point faster.
Sonicbomb77

Postby rocklobster » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:54 pm

I feel the same way. I mean, why does the Superman suit have to have the stupid "Cape does not enable user to fly" warning. :dizzy:
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Casull » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:09 am

I didn't read any other posts, just the main post in the thread))

Tracking IS awfully easy. I played a game with a guy from CA once -just for fun!- . I found him a few minuets before he found me along with high school pictures of him (he's not a kid (23) don't ask ;P ) , the tracking took about five minuets. the point is all these people out there are so afraid of being "stalked" and yet someone wouldn't have to actually do much at all to know where they are, it's crazy.

people may want to try to track themselves with google, or something else -like I did- with the information given on a profile they might have online. if they don't have one, just track with info you might give out. try it!

I've found that there are three ways to find me... but I'm not telling ;P if you find them, you're good.

now once you find your kinks, learn them, and cut them off if you can/wish.

as a side note: I am not a stalker, tracker, whatever! some people actually think I am, and it's not true! I respect the privacy of where people live! I may know how but I am not at all tempted to find/track ANYONE so leave me alone! if you have concerns you may PM them to me.

also, this thread is not at all to suggest you should stalk/track other people, even me. thank you

thanks for postin' this thread Nate.
@}-------
Casull

Postby Reba » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:44 pm

Yes Nate, Good point..I was wondering though...Since I don't go to public school and I'm not even a registered home schooler, Could you still find me?

[SIZE="1"]A blue, black shade of love.

Sent from above.

[align=center]My hands are tied to worlds
alone,
And this I know.
Your breath's like wine,
And just like clouds, my skin crawls.
It's so divine, the sky it glows with fields of light.
Did you know that I love you?
Come and lay with me.
I love you.
And all this day, I will love you.
You make me feel alive,
and I'll love you
Until the end of time.[/SIZE][/align]
Reba

Postby rsnumber2 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:59 pm

Mithrandir wrote:I hate to rain on the "picture without location is OK" parade, but if you click a link on someone's forum/blog/etc, you may as well be giving your town away. The IP address you view the page from is sent everytime you look at a webpage, etc. Since you guys visit my server, I can see every town you come from. If I examine the packets more closely, I can see every switch your data packets come from - this lets me track the internet route the packet took and narrow down exact local and in some cases get within a thousand feet of where you were using the internet.

And you don't have to be a computer geek to get this information. There are websites where you can just give the iP address to the site and get all the pertanent data back.

Just be cautious how much you trust people, out there.

- Mithrandir

I'm not all that IT savvy, but I have an account at statcounter.com. Everyday I pull it up just to see how many hits I got on my websites. It shows the town that the viewer came through (sometimes it is way off). It even has a google map type feature that shows balloons over each visitor. Althought I wouldn't use this info for ill will, it could be done in the wrong hands. On the other hand it is quite useful. For my father's business, we can see where to concentrate advertising (if traffic is steady) or increase advertising (if business shows signs of decreasing). I use it to track my freinds to see if they had visited regularly. It's also interesting to see how far across the globe your little page can be pulled up.
It takes bad jokes to appreciate the good ones.

rsnumber2.com - A directory of all things rsnumber2.
Goufy Shumi - People think my shumi is goufy.

Titus 2:11-14 - What I strive for.
rsnumber2

Location: As a square peg, I am currently trying to fit in a round hole.

Postby Casull » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:08 pm

Himura Kaoru wrote:Yes Nate, Good point..I was wondering though...Since I don't go to public school and I'm not even a registered home schooler, Could you still find me?
Well.. I'm not Nate but, yes, it is possible. but a school makes it much more easy to at the very least pin-point your location during school hours.

Nate, anything to say? *shrugs* sorry. lol
@}-------
Casull

Postby Sonicbomb77 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:12 am

yes you would still be able to be found, just prolly not as easy. Your registered into the system at birth, and tho it may not be in records until age 18 of your exact whereabouts, the census would know about your parents and thus youd be expected to be with them.

Also, I believe private school is the same as public school as in the county has data regarding you and your whereabouts. Might be the same for orphanges :\
Sonicbomb77

Postby Miss WWE 2007 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:43 am

Interesting...we do have to be careful...
"I wanna heal, I wanna feel what I thought was never real
I wanna let go of the pain I’ve held so long
(Erase all the pain till it’s gone)
I wanna heal, I wanna feel like I’m close to something real
I wanna find something I’ve wanted all along
Somewhere I belong

I will never know myself until I do this on my own
And I will never feel anything else, until my wounds are healed
I will never be anything till I break away from me
I will break away, I'll find myself today

"-Linkin Park (Somewhere I Belong)

Miss WWE 2007

Postby Mave » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:19 am

This certainly encourages us not to make enemies online as well. It's not like I want someone who hates my guts to track me down right at my own doorstep. You know what I mean?

......No, I do not hate anyone enough to do this. Neither have I had anyone hate me enough to do this. <.<;;; It's just a random thought.

On a more light-hearted/joking note, never invoke the wrath of OldMith. You'll never know when you'll find him at your doorstep, only to have him greet you with a solid fish-slap on the cheek (an old salmon in particular), yelling "Quit PM-spamming me and leaving smart-S remarks on CAA, you Internet junkie brat. I'm [] this close to hacking your school records and ensuring that you'll never graduate. EVA."

XDDDD
Mave

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:56 pm

That only happend ONCE!!!

:lol:
Mithrandir

Postby Tommy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:57 am

Just to clarify, when someone says they're from Boston it usually means the Boston area.

I don't live in the city of Boston specifically but rather one of the many towns in the Boston area.

Just thought I would let you know in case the person Nate "experimented" on was me.
Tommy

Postby Kenshin17 » Sun May 27, 2007 11:55 am

And what if our router is set up for NAT? Does this not muddle with ones ability in realtion to IP tracking?
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby Mithrandir » Mon May 28, 2007 7:15 am

Kenshin17 wrote:And what if our router is set up for NAT? Does this not muddle with ones ability in realtion to IP tracking?

On a consumer model DLS/cable router, that won't help in the slightest. It hides your INTERNAL IP address, but not your external. The external IP on your router is still linked to your ISP.

e.g., You could be tracked to your house, but not to your bedroom.
Mithrandir

Postby Kenshin17 » Mon May 28, 2007 7:58 am

Thats what I figured after I thought about how NAT works. Kinda answered my own question.
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby Seppuku » Mon May 28, 2007 10:38 am

^^ i agree even though i have mine posted XD

[url=myspace.com/seppukuasylum]myspace.com/seppukuasylum[/url]

"Theres no such thing as trolls!"
Then how do you explain the dead unicorns?
Seppuku

Postby JesusFreak84 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:17 am

My reply is a little late in the game, but this is definatly an important thread, one I'm quite glad to see stickied.

And yes, Mith can track you pretty close to where your buns are planted in front of the computer. (*Cough*.hack* ;) ) One solution would be to install Tor (The Onion Router,) or just use TorPark (Firefox + Tor, all configured and ready to go right "out of the box," so to speak. Also runs on a USB key.) There are also many anonymizing {sp?!} websites out there, but I don't know how good any of those are. Things also get weird when you access from a school network. >_> Anyway, that's a solution to that. Also all the stuff already posted.

Stay safe, folks! ^_^ :angel:
Papist Pest :angel:

http://jesusfreak84.livejournal.com
http://www.adorem.us/forum
http://www.omegarock.com
Warning: I'm prone to the following--
:rant::comp::bang::poke::forehead:
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?" (Plagiarized from Mithradir.)
JesusFreak84

Postby Cardinalman » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:18 pm

I agree because if they know these things they could track you down and things could happen before you knew it
Cardinalman

Postby Little T-chan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:51 pm

Wowww...X_X; Good thing I've always been cautious about giving out my personal information ! *pats self on head* Be careful, everyone!! <3
[SIZE="6"][color="Pink"]♥ [font="Impact"]t-chan[/font]![/color][/SIZE]

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="Pink"]Everyday, it's You i live for!
Everyday, i'll follow after You!
Everyday, i'll walk with You, my Lord![/color][/SIZE][/font]
Little T-chan

Postby RubyJewelStone » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:35 am

They shall nevar find mah computer chair! *spins*

My city is too big anyways. And technically it isn't named what everyone calls it, and all kinds of confusing stuff like that...>.<

The only problem is when the church/school/organizations put stuff up. That's why I make sure not to put my last name.
I believe in the sun even if it isn't shining. I believe in love even when I am alone. I believe in God even when he is silent.
~Author Unknown
RubyJewelStone

Postby HyperSock » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:18 am

Um... Wow...

Uh, I know I'm not supposed to give out personal infos and stuff.

And I'm a little kid.

And I can juggle.

:dance: :dance: :dance:
HyperSock

Postby Sohma » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:33 pm

I'm very glad you posted this. My family watches the news quite often and we see what can happen to kids who give out thier info. They talk to me and my siblings about these things so we know the dos and don'ts of the internet. And we wouldn't dare go against these rules for the things we see happening everyday. I hope this shows others the dangers of the internet.
I honestly didn't know if there were other members my age around CAA but I'm glad to know now that there are! (;
[SIZE="6"]ily.[/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"]Genesis 27:4
"When you prepare the tasty food that I love, bring it to me, and I will eat. Then I will bless you before I die."[/SIZE]
Sohma

Postby Sanji07 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:38 pm

I completely agree. You deserve a plum. ^_^
[color="SeaGreen"]@)}[/color][color="black"]~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature
Servant of: Hypersocks-the leader of extrolling hyperness! ^-^
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too and are not scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Sanji07

Postby eternalprincess » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:47 pm

Good point made. :D

I never post anything besides my Sate or First name. On any of the forums I am on.

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Previous Next

Return to General