Manga Recommendations Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Manga Recommendations Thread

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:33 pm

If you are interested in finding a new series to follow, ask here. Do not create another thread, as it will be locked and redirected here. Please do give some specifics of what might interest you or some of your favorite series, however, so that people can make good recommendations.

Anyone can offer a suggestion, of course, though please try to respond to what the person said instead of just plugging your favorite series. Also, keep discussion of them down to whatever is required for the recommendation. Posts with no more substance than "Oh, I love that too!" will be deleted.

That said, I hope that all of you can find satisfactory series.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:18 pm

If you can't set a good example, you can at least be a horrible warning.

I've been meaning to look into a new Manga series, and I thought some of you might be able to help me out here. I tend to enjoy darker, more suspenseful Manga, but I'm also on the lookout for a good casual or light-hearted series (preferably comedic) as a "Counterbalance." I like good characters and a good plot, preferably together in one neat little package, but whatever. Works with historical background (specifically Japanese or European) are fine. Supernatural Manga are also fine. Absolutely no never ending stories (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc.). I can handle violence and such to a point, and I have no beef with religious content, as long as it's not hatefully condescending towards me. Nudity and the like can be tolerated, based on the situation. Gratuitous fan-service is a no.

Manga's I have read and enjoyed
-20th Century Boys
-Death Note
-FullMetal Alchemist
-Hellsing
-Monster
-Pluto

Manga's I've tried/am trying
-Basilisk
-D. Gray-Man (watching the Anime)
-Hayate the Combat Butler (friend of a friend told me to try this)
-Old Boy
-One Piece (average, just not my personal taste)

Manga I've been disappointed by
-Read or Die
-Samurai Champloo
-Trigun Maximum (ran out of steam after the first five volumes)

So can you people lend me a hand?
Fish and Chips

Postby rocklobster » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:51 pm

Ones I love:
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
Yu Yu Hakusho
Rurouni Kenshin
Please Save My Earth
Death Note
The Seikai Trilogy
Trigun/Trigun Maximum
Maisson Ikkoku
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:03 pm

UC, you're brilliant. good thinking.

anyways, Fish and Chips, if you're looking for a lighthearted comedy manga, you could try Eyeshield 21. it's a football manga, but it has plenty of great humor and awesome characters to back up all the football action. it's an excellent sports/comedy manga. i highly recommend it.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:57 pm

jon_jinn wrote:UC, you're brilliant. good thinking.

I can't take credit because I'm not acting unilaterally. Many people including myself have been thinking we needed a thread like this for a while and in discussing forum changes the mods decided to enact this one.

Fish and Chips wrote:If you can't set a good example, you can at least be a horrible warning.

You do yourself too little credit. That's pretty much exactly what we want here.

In any case, I would recommend trying Claymore. Read two or three volumes and see if it appeals to you]Absolutely no never ending stories (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc.)[/quote]
Unless we're speaking of different terms, I think Bleach doesn't deserve to be in that list. Though it is extremely long, to me it feels as though it has one central plot that was planned from the beginning and that the manga will end once this plot is resolved. It takes a long time in the process, but for me there is a significant difference.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:33 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:You do yourself too little credit. That's pretty much exactly what we want here.

Doing what I can with what I got.

So, Claymore and Eyesheild 21, eh? I'll give them both a shot next time I stop by a bookstore. Not a big fan of the sports genre, but I'll flip through a chapter or two before I have anything to say.

And I haven't really read Bleach, I just know it's very, very long and usually grouped with those other series in terms of progression, length, etc. Still, I'd prefer a series that feels like it will have some definite ending.

And another Manga I gave a try was Yakitate!! Japan, which was amusing, but I'm not sure how far bread-jokes will last over 26 volumes.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:34 pm

rocklobster: were you making a specific request? That might be helpful in addition to a list of series you enjoyed.

Fish and Chips wrote:So, Claymore and Eyesheild 21, eh? I'll give them both a shot next time I stop by a bookstore.

I hope you like Claymore (not that you should feel obligated). Like all Monthly Shonen Jump series it isn't terrible popular, and I would like to discuss it with some fans that aren't either speaking Italian or into the series for the wrong reason.

Fish and Chips wrote:And I haven't really read Bleach, I just know it's very, very long and usually grouped with those other series in terms of progression, length, etc. Still, I'd prefer a series that feels like it will have some definite ending.

And I won't deny it's mainstream archetypal shonen. But I hope that it is a new breed of shonen with better planning and power progression instead of new arcs with continually stronger enemies.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:00 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I hope you like Claymore (not that you should feel obligated). Like all Monthly Shonen Jump series it isn't terrible popular, and I would like to discuss it with some fans that aren't either speaking Italian or into the series for the wrong reason.

Right, I hear ya.
Fish and Chips

Postby Stephen » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:27 pm

The only manga I have really gotten into so far, and love is Hellsing. I adore the artstyle, and I love the story. Now if the writer can just stop being so slow and lazy and actually finish it...that would be dandy.
Stephen

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:53 pm

Well, you want have all that long to wait. Hirano's promised to end it within the next year and a half to two years, topping it off in 2008. And considering that's how long it's going to take for 20th Century Boys vol. 1 to even hit American shelves, count yourself lucky.

What volume are you on, anyway?
Fish and Chips

Postby Stephen » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:23 am

I finished volume 5 like 2 weeks ago. Got 6 and 7 coming off Ebay right now.
Stephen

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:24 am

Well, least you've got the war to look forward to.
Fish and Chips

Postby MasterDias » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:06 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I hope you like Claymore (not that you should feel obligated). Like all Monthly Shonen Jump series it isn't terrible popular, and I would like to discuss it with some fans that aren't either speaking Italian or into the series for the wrong reason.

I'm reading and enjoying Claymore and would be up for some discussion.
Is the series actually popular in Italy or was that a crack at the series' general unpopularity?

And another Manga I gave a try was Yakitate!! Japan, which was amusing, but I'm not sure how far bread-jokes will last over 26 volumes.

It's not the best thing I've ever read but it's an entertaining series.
It plays out almost like a kind of parody of shonen fighting tournaments except with bakers.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:58 pm

MasterDias wrote:I'm reading and enjoying Claymore and would be up for some discussion.

Ah, excellent. PM me if you like, or if we have any other fans we could start a thread. Are you reading the volumes Shonen Jump is translating? I've read the first five and flipped through about five international volumes.

MasterDias wrote:Is the series actually popular in Italy or was that a crack at the series' general unpopularity?

It was a serious comment; Claymore is being translated into Italian in Star Comics. The majority of fan sites I could find were in Italian, which does me little good.
uc pseudonym

Postby Adie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:31 pm

I'm looking for some new manga to get into, as I've only read a very small amount. I'm currently following Tsubasa Chronicle and Hikaru No Go, and am enjoying them very much.

My favorite genres are shoujo, drama, fantasy, romance, and adventure, but I'm pretty much open to anything as long as the content isn't over-the-top.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Adie

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:15 pm

adie, try Fullmetal Alchemist.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Adie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:38 pm

adie, try Fullmetal Alchemist.

Okay, thanks. ^^ I'm actually working on finishing the anime right now; is the manga any different?
Adie

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:13 pm

Yes, quite different past a certain plot point, and in my humble opinion a much better storyline.
Fish and Chips

Postby MasterDias » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:15 pm

[quote="Adie"]Okay, thanks. ^^ I'm actually working on finishing the anime right now]
Yeah, the anime follows (mostly) the same plot up until about episode 25, if I remember right, with a few added filler episodes and small changes.
After that, the anime and manga branch off to seperate directions. Anime is decent and I enjoyed it, but the manga has a better and more tightly constructed plot and generally cooler original characters.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:58 pm

I would suggest Yotsuba&!.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Adie » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:30 pm

Yes, quite different past a certain plot point, and in my humble opinion a much better storyline.

Yeah, the anime follows (mostly) the same plot up until about episode 25, if I remember right, with a few added filler episodes and small changes.
After that, the anime and manga branch off to seperate directions.

Ah, okay. Thanks. =) It'll be interesting to compare the two.

I would suggest Yotsuba&!.

Thanks. I'll probably check this one out today.
Adie

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:49 pm

Hey people. I was wondering if you would advise me to give Berskerk a shot. I've never really given it a read, but my roommate loves it, and the last three Mangas he liked and recommended to me (Death Note, 20th Century Boys, and Monster) I ended up enjoying very much. And since I seem to prefer darker, seinen-esque Manga, I thought I might give this too a try.

So how about it?
Fish and Chips

Postby ranma8 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:17 pm

Could anyone suggest me a series? I usually prefer shojo to shonen. I like comedy, parodies, drama, romance, fantasy, and (sometimes) action. I don't want anything thats censored.

Manga Series I've Liked
-Kodocha: Sana's Stage(My favorite :sweat: )
-Yu-Gi-Oh!(original)
-Marmalade Boy
-Ranma 1/2
-Suki
-Cardcaptor Sakura
-Rizelmine

Manga Series I like that I'm currently reading/I've read some of
-MARS
-Paradise Kiss
-.hack: Legend of the Twilight
-Peach Girl
-Wish
-Chobits
-Ceres
-Fruits Basket
-DNAngel
ranma8

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:25 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Hey people. I was wondering if you would advise me to give Berskerk a shot. I've never really given it a read, but my roommate loves it, and the last three Mangas he liked and recommended to me (Death Note, 20th Century Boys, and Monster) I ended up enjoying very much. And since I seem to prefer darker, seinen-esque Manga, I thought I might give this too a try.

So how about it?

check the manga review: http://www.christiananime.com/manga_reviews.php?display=229

if you don't think the content mentioned in the review will be too much for you and if you are prepared for an extremely awesome and exhilarating, yet very graphic ride, then try it out. you could browse through some of the volumes that your friend has (if he has any...) if you want. just be warned that the manga's very grotesque, harsh, and dark. but, i think it is well worth it for the brilliant story, some of the greatest manga characters and action/fight sequences ever, and a whole lot of well-planned development and sharp turns.

oh yeah, if you do end up reading the series, you can help participate in the 'Berserk' discussion thread that only UC and i have been posting in. it's sorta dead now though...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:03 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Hey people. I was wondering if you would advise me to give Berskerk a shot. I've never really given it a read, but my roommate loves it, and the last three Mangas he liked and recommended to me (Death Note, 20th Century Boys, and Monster) I ended up enjoying very much. And since I seem to prefer darker, seinen-esque Manga, I thought I might give this too a try.

So how about it?

I'd say go for it, but if you do give it some time. To be honest, if I hadn't gotten a chance to read a significant amount of it at once I probably wouldn't have gotten into the series. Except for a few hints at greater things, the series starts off very weak in my opinion. But eventually it becomes an epic story that will (I hope; we have yet to see) go far beyond the physical stage.

It is definitely dark and seinen, anyway.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:28 pm

like UC said, don't let the first three volumes prevent you from reading the rest or you would be making the mistake i made. after volume three, the story REALLY starts to get interesting.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:57 pm

Alright then, I'll make a note to check it out.
Fish and Chips

Postby ilikegir33 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:27 pm

I LOVE:
Azumanga Daioh
DEATH NOTE
Naoki Urusawa's Monster
Yotsuba&!
Full Metal Panic series
Pani-Poni (scanlations)
and Bobobo-Bobobobo (scanlations)
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:51 pm

ilikegir33 wrote:I LOVE:
Azumanga Daioh
DEATH NOTE
Naoki Urusawa's Monster
Yotsuba&!
Full Metal Panic series
Pani-Poni (scanlations)
and Bobobo-Bobobobo (scanlations)

...um...GTO would serve as a possibility. your list mainly consists of mystery/suspense and comedy and you didn't really go over the limits in terms of offensive content; so i dunno...you could also try Akira simply because it's such an awesome must-read manga.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Alexander » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:36 pm

Konichiwa.

Has anyone here read Aishituze Baby? The story seems appealing to me, but I'm a little weary of the PG-13 rating on the back cover. I looked for a review on the site, but there doesn't appear to be any for it.

Could anyone please tell me what content is in it just to be extra safe? Thank you very much.
Alexander

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews