KingdomCome webmanga

Calling all self-proclaimed mangaka!

Update

Postby Mave » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:15 am

Boy oh boy...*looks back at the date when Chap 4 was released* :sweat:

I seriously think I need to minimize the number of manga projects or get some help from other artists, in order to keep the current projects consistent (from "frequency of chapter releases" point of view).

Anyway, the MAIN reason I could release this chapter while I'm in the moving transition (some of you know that I'm temporarily homeless and bunking in my friends' apt until the end of the year heh) is because I had them inked and scanned prior to moving. <-- haha "yeah, smart move, Mave!" - pun intended. XD

The second reason is I discovered the pattern tool last night, which made life easier for me as an mangaka wannabe. (Yes! Thank you, God!) :eyeroll: It takes me forever to learn all these techniques...

Still, screentoning and texting consumed a significant amount of time and it felt like eternity completing this. Any thoughts on the screentones in particular? This time, instead of experimenting so much with the 50+ screentones, I limited my tones to ~4-5 tones to dig a more consistent feel. Eh...did it work? I was tempted to scrap screentoning completely but hey, if you think they're effective in this particular chapter and want to see them in future chapters, pls let me know, thanks!

You can view the new chapter HERE or at the very first post of this thread. ^_^

Alright, time for Chloe's project! XD;; *runs off to search for files buried somewhere in her moving boxes*

PS: Thanks to everyone who has been very patient and encouraging with this project!

EDIT: Nuts, I forgot to mention that I kinda "twitched" Richard's looks to differentiate him from Kim. Did that work as well? I will make the followup changes in the previous chapters if all seems good.
Mave

Postby Hephzibah » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:04 pm

YAY! A new chapter!! *runs around happily*
I think it looks awesome the way it is Mave :grin:
Now, if you will excuse me... I have a very important date with a certain webmanga.... *bounces out of room*
Hephzibah

Postby Gypsy » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:40 pm

Yay!! *runs off to read*

Excellent update - so excellent I won't even scold you about the cliff you left us all hanging off. ;)
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:26 pm

My full comments are elsewhere (you know what I mean), but I'll drop in here to comment for the sake of general reading flow. I approve of the modifications to Richard, and I do think that it would make the scene in which that was an issue work much better.
uc pseudonym

Postby Aka-chan » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:13 pm

*runs around in little circles* Wowie; nice update (especially ink and screentone work), but what a cliffhanger!!
Aka-chan

Postby Ducky » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:20 pm

Yay! I thoroughly enjoyed the new chapter (twas a nice early Christmas present ;)). I liked the screen tones and Kim is getting to be even more of a hottie;). The new richard was very nice, certainly easier to differentiate from Kim. I wanna hear more about Dougy though. Okay...not going to complain and beg for new chapters, I guess we can cut you some slack as you're moving and all... Merry Christmas
Ducky

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:13 pm

Thanks for the effort Mave! Have a great CHRISTmas!
(by the way, how long on average does it take you to complete a page of your manga?)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby true_noir_chloe » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:28 pm

Finally read it. :hug: I loved it. ^________^ You did great with the screentones. It's your best art, I think. You handle the panels really well. I have nothing to criticize, except for a few typos. FANTASTIC!!! :jump:

I especially like how the story is progressing. And, Doug's sister is one of my faves; however, I'm with Ducky and want to see more DOUG. XD

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:12 am

woo! what a great update ^_^ your screentoning and inking has improved so much! it looks great :3

lol, yeah, Doug is teh bishie XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mave » Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:56 pm

*hugs everyone in this thread* ^___^ What a great support team!

Thanks! I can now go ahead and fix the previous chapters with Rich in them. I'm planning to edit the first few chapters too for the sake of uniformity and will update everyone with that. Since so far everyone has OK'ed the screentoning job, I will stick with it.

Ducky, I'm glad you commented about Kim coz that was one of my intentions in this chapter. *looks at the other comments*.....OK OK I know...more Doug ^_^

To answer your question, Warrior 4 Jesus, How long does it take to complete one manga page? I work on all pages at the same time step by step. You know, the storyboarding --> inking --> scanning --> texting --> screentoning drill. I estimate that it would take about 8-9 hours to complete one page depending on the complexity of the page itself.

On a more serious note, it's getting harder for me to work on manga projects on my own especially if I were to release chapters on a regular basis. I suspect any other CAA manga artists would agree that they're suffering the same challenges.

I have an important question for everyone:

Considering that I'm doing this on my own and that I have a life offline (LOL), what's the longest duration a webmanga chapter ought to be released in order to retain interest?

Once every 2-3 months? >_<; Doesn't matter? Ideally, I would like to release a chapter every month BUT that's really unrealistic at the moment looking at my personal schedule. Any thoughts on this?
Mave

Postby Hephzibah » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:31 pm

1 every 2-3 months would be just fine, esp since you release whole chapters together. Maybe you could set up something like Shelter of Wings, where people can suscribe and be notified whenever an update occurs.
But, the last thing we want to see is you getting burned out Mave! If need be, take a break and don't get stressed about this. Remember to keep Jesus as the centre of everything you do, and you can't go wrong! ;)
Hephzibah

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:59 am

Ultimately, I would advise you to do what seems reasonable to you and what you believe is God's plan for you. But to actually answer the question...

The time it seems reasonable to wait for a new chapter varies, primarily depending on the nature of the comic. What is key is how well it remains in the mind. Manga that slips from my memory easily will be cumbersome to read after a long period, but some (yours is much closer to this category) I can pick up from a long pause without any difficulty.
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:44 am

I read a lot of webcomics, but if they don't update at least once a month they tend to sink lower on my favorites list. However, Kingdom Come is different to me since I know you. I'd keep reading it even if it went a year between updates, so I really can't give you an unbiased answer. Sorry. :sweat: I will say that I prefer your way of updating rather than one page every M-W-F type of thing. It makes the story flow so much better. Actually, sometimes I intentionally leave some of my frequent webmanga alone for that very reason - to let the new pages piled up so I can read a few in succession. I imagine it's probably less stress on the artist/writer as well.
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Update: Revisions

Postby Mave » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:39 pm

la la la *strolls into Manga Mania*

Good griefy, where is my thread?! :eh:

*gravedigs*

Updates:

This may be news to some of you but KCome is going through major revisions. I'm contributing the chapters of this title to the Anime Angel's Mangazine and just submitted the revised version of Chapter 2.

This chapter is not available online at the moment but I will post the whole thing after the mangazine is released. This policy might change if I get approval from Shandra and Rose to release future chapters online ahead of time. :)

Anyway, FYI, some of the revisions are pretty major so don' t be surprised to see changes in some characters' personalities and storyplot.

1) Kim has more issues. <.< >.>;; I've decided to portray Kim more 'imperfectly.'

2) Doug remains cynical as usual. LOL I didn't change anything about him. Yeah for Doug fans.

3) Linda has lost her airheaded-ness and takes on a more sensible personality. However, the damsel-in-distress plot will be retained.

4) Richard has been changed to Paul. I've decided to integrate a character which I was saving up for later, into Richard's current role. This character is a tribute to one of my real-life friends whom I served together in the music ministry. Paul remains the leader he was, although he can be a bit weird (just like my friend haha).

Now that Home is done, I can take KCome more seriously. ^^ I will also take one more long term project with true_noir_chloe and hope to see that one kick by the end of the year.

I highly doubt I'll be taking on any more long-term manga projects unless I find another artist to help me out in these current titles. :?: I'll do short stories every now and then but there's only so much I can do at one time. ^__^;;

Thank you for your attention. ^^
Mave

Postby Hephzibah » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:30 pm

Mave wrote:la la la *strolls into Manga Mania*

Good griefy, where is my thread?! :eh:

*gravedigs*

Bad Mave! Bad! XD

2) Doug remains cynical as usual. LOL I didn't change anything about him. Yeah for Doug fans.

YAY! I am so a Doug fan, and I'm glad you aren't changing him XD

4) Richard has been changed to Paul. I've decided to integrate a character which I was saving up for later, into Richard's current role. This character is a tribute to one of my real-life friends whom I served together in the music ministry. Paul remains the leader he was, although he can be a bit weird (just like my friend haha).

awww bummer! I'm in a youth group where the leader's name is Richard, and he acts exactly like Richard from K-Come (well, the un-changed one anyway XD). If you change his name, I can't say that my youth group is the K-Come youth group anymore!
*pouts*

Aaah well, I'll live I guess :thumb: Yay for Mave!
Hephzibah

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:01 pm

Mave wrote:This may be news to some of you but KCome is going through major revisions. I'm contributing the chapters of this title to the Anime Angel's Mangazine and just submitted the revised version of Chapter 2.

This chapter is not available online at the moment but I will post the whole thing after the mangazine is released. This policy might change if I get approval from Shandra and Rose to release future chapters online ahead of time. :)

Technically I knew this already, but I don't think I've ever posted that I'm glad to hear it. I think I haven't even given you a response to the fifth chapter of Home...

Mave wrote:2) Doug remains cynical as usual. LOL I didn't change anything about him. Yeah for Doug fans.

Doug.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sakura15 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:46 am

Cool ^^ I think I like these new edits. (although, I'll probably still be calling Paul Richard for some time aftwerward :lol: ) It should be interesting to see Kim being less perfect hehe ^.^
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby Mave » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:50 pm

Aww Talame, I had no idea. XD;;

Here's some fun FYIs: Some character designs were created based off some of my real life Christian friends whom I served together in a music ministry. To get the characters' names, all I did was ask my friends to name their favourite biblical personalities.

EDIT: Oh wait, I might have already said this before. But oh well.....:sweat:

One of my best buddies admired Paul very much and that's why the name has been switched. Btw, I like Joshua. *hint hint* ^__^
Mave

Revised Chapter 2 release

Postby Mave » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:50 am

Shalom,

Chapter 2 has been released for your viewing pleasure. Pls visit my website ==> [url]http://www.kcome.net[/url] and clickety-click on KingdomCome under "Personal Webmangas." >^^<

Any feedbacks on the changes I've made will be great (especially from you long-time readers who read the very first original chapters).

Like what I posted before, character-wise, I've revised Linda, Paul/Richard and a bit of Kim. Basically, I've made Linda and "Paul" more involved than I originally intended. And to do that, I had to personally like them to a certain extent so I changed them with hopes of making them more likeable. :lol:

Art-wise, I've decided to simplify my screentones and to use more inking. The downside of getting too enthusiatic about screentones is getting confused with all the screentones I'm using. So to make life easier and mangakaing more enjoyable, my screentones have been dropped to only 4-5 tones.

Plot-wise, some minor changes are made to accomodate more pages (more extended panelling) and to help make the transition smoother. I used to cram everything into 9-10 pages but I feel comfortable working with 15+ pages.

:) Have fun! I'm having a blast with this ~
Mave

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:00 pm

Ah. I believe I see definite improvement in terms of storytelling procedure (and, though I'm biased, I'd say that is partially because you have a fair idea where you are going). I approve of what I see so far, and I shall look forward to more. In some ways, it really isn't as if this is the same manga, so reading it feels very new and fresh.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sakura15 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:08 pm

I love the changes you've made, they are awesome ^^ :thumb:

Ah. I believe I see definite improvement in terms of storytelling procedure

*nods* I agree ^^
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby Gypsy » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:09 am

I loved KCome before, but this is an excellent improvement. It's like getting a special edition webmanga. ^^
Gypsy

Postby Hephzibah » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:05 pm

XD Another awesome job Mave!! :grin: It is so fun to see the differences and similarities between the updated version and the old ;)

Btw... can I just say that when I read this (below), I absolutely cracked up cause... well... it's so me! I've done that too many times to count (having someone ramble on about a popular secular band and me just say "never heard of them" ) XD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hephzibah

Postby Shinja » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:06 pm

your art always looks great,
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Kewl Girl » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:23 pm

Youre comics are so TOTALLY AWESOME!!!! Everything looks great! ^^
Formerly Kewl Girl 16

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
:jump: "I say BOO to lust, and DOWN with "hot"!!" :jump: , a quote from Felix.

I suppose I should be puttin this in here to although I dont have much on it yet: http://kewlgirl.deviantart.com/
Kewl Girl

Location: In front of my computer with my headphones on, trying to drown out the world around me..

Postby martinloyola » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:01 pm

I read them and I must say (first a good job!) that I can relate to several of the characters. I feel like I've been at their level at some point in my life. I really liked how it spoke to me.
Vash: In the end...he just couldn't kill a man in cold blood. His daughter's murder goes unpunished. Call him weak, but...it saved both of us.

want to tell your fantasy or science fiction story and need help, try here :cool:

Headbangers United :rock:
martinloyola

Postby Linksquest » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:11 pm

Mave! Awsome job! your anime skillz surpase my own XD. Look forward to seeing more in the series. You have a really great style going there! Scenes are soo hard to draw, but you have mastered them!
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Mave » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:06 pm

Thank you, you all! *hugs* I will keep doing my best! <(*-*)>

Alright, I have Chapter 3 completed and the first 4 pages are posted online. I will subsequently post the rest in the next week or so.

Pls click on webmanga in my signature for the link. ^_^
Mave

Postby Hephzibah » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:08 pm

Three cheers for Mave! XD The new pages are absolutey awesome matie :grin: You are doing such a great job
Hephzibah

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:08 pm

Well, what to say about the beginning of this new chapter (other than that I'm glad to see it). There's the obvious thing: a new character. I think, from the very limited view we get of him, that I will like Gil.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Webmanga/comics