Steelblood

Calling all self-proclaimed mangaka!

Postby inkhana » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:12 am

uc pseudonym wrote:Mmm. Looked at this previously, never actually posted anything about it. Very good, as would be the usual. Though I was somewhat surprised to see it in traditional black and white. You might want to have a minor note about style in different chapters. It worked fine, however.

[color=darkgreen]It was meant to be that way...>.> <.< (Yeah...that's my story...covered up for that one real good...^^) The next chapter consists entirely of stick figures! ]

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Shinja » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:37 am

lol yes stick figures, i liked the black and white, very cool
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby MasterDias » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:37 pm

Nice.
I'm looking forward to the next chapter and the introduction of Kyla.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Straylight » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:01 am

I've been late on this whole "steelblood" thing. Here's my opinion on it

:rock: :rock: :rock:
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby inkhana » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:52 am

Cool! ;) Thanks! :D

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Macross » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:32 pm

It´s really good! I really like it!! have you thout about publishing it!?!? :dance: :hits_self :thumb:
Macross

Postby inkhana » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:46 pm

Since the beginning, I have known that I was not going to publish it. The reason for this is that I want it to always be free for everyone to read...^^ (Besides, I wouldn't make anyone have to pay to look at that awful opening page...;) :P) LOL

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby JediSonic » Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:32 pm

I like your attitude! lol

I feel the same way about my work. Actually, not art, I mean my programs/games.

Besides, if you make something really cool that's free, then stick your name all over it, when you DO come out with something that you charge for, people are more likely to buy it :thumb:

BTW, do you use a straightedge to draw the frames in your manga, or cg/cropping, or both?
JediSonic

Postby inkhana » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:50 pm

Actually, it's kinda a weird method I have, LOL But I do it in Photoshop. Make a new layer on top, mask off a square and floodfill it with black (don't remove the mask!), go select/modify/contract, put in a pixel width of 1, hit ok, and then hit delete. I'm left with a completely clean, perfectly square box. I'm sure there are better ways of doing it, but I haven't found them yet. Drawing with a plain line tool tends to leave ragged corners for me...:grin:

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Gypsy » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:19 am

That's what I'm doing for the Pilgrim's Progress stuff too, but I tend to stay away from masking. I like the marquee tool too much. Amazing how half of the stuff you do in photoshop ends up being typing from the short-cut keys, eh, Ink?
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby inkhana » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:59 am

LOL, that's true...;)

I don't remember which is the mask and marquee now...I know PS makes a distinction. The first program I ever used had "masks" so I stuck with the terminology.

*checks* Yes, it is the marquee tool. I should find out this stuff before I post it...LOL :sweat:

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby shooraijin » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:02 pm

I'm really developing a dependence on the shortcut keys for using the Graphire while I'm working in Photoshop.

Hey, since all the Photoshop gurus are around at the moment, I can't find a good way to draw just a simple, stinking circle or Bezier curve in PS 7. Anyone got a nice procedure for that? I can't even find one in Painter Classic!
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Icarus » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:34 pm

Hey, hey!! Ink,your manga is swingin'!
(cool)
(to the nth degree)
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:44 pm

shooraijin wrote:I'm really developing a dependence on the shortcut keys for using the Graphire while I'm working in Photoshop.

Hey, since all the Photoshop gurus are around at the moment, I can't find a good way to draw just a simple, stinking circle or Bezier curve in PS 7. Anyone got a nice procedure for that? I can't even find one in Painter Classic!

I have yet to figure this one out :?: :waah!:

Can't wait fer the next chapter, Inkster :]
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mr. Rogers » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:59 pm

looks like the next chapter of steelblood is almost done. im looking forward to it. :)
Mr. Rogers

Postby inkhana » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:43 pm

Shooraijin: the only way I know of is to use the marquee tool and a paintbrush/fill tool (as you prefer). Although I'm far from a guru...:sweat:

Yup, working on getting the next chapter out! Now if I could get rid of all these other distracting projects...*grrr*

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby shooraijin » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:12 am

> the only way I know of is to use the marquee tool and a paintbrush/fill tool

The problem is that I want just a line circle. In PS 7 you can draw an ellipse and circle shape -- oddly you get this from the tool group under Line (*smack* to the head of Adobe product design dept.), but it's only solid fills.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby madphilb » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:55 am

shooraijin wrote:Hey, since all the Photoshop gurus are around at the moment, I can't find a good way to draw just a simple, stinking circle or Bezier curve in PS 7. Anyone got a nice procedure for that? I can't even find one in Painter Classic!

I use GIMP myself, but I'm guessing since PS is supposed to still be better than GIMP, you should be able to do this as well.

Can you make a selection into a bezier? or better yet, can you "stroke" a selection?

I've got at least one really good PS Tutorial site floating around in my bookmark list if you're interested. (sadly I can't find it at the moment).

PHIL
madphilb

Postby Gypsy » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:31 am

shooraijin wrote:I'm really developing a dependence on the shortcut keys for using the Graphire while I'm working in Photoshop.

Yeah, I know what you mean. :P

I'm not a guru by any means, but I can move around in the program. If there's a horribly simple way, I don't know of it. But here's what I do: (all my short cut keys included for those that might now know very many yet)

Ctrl+Shift+New = create a new layer
U = (considering I already had it on the ellipse setting and set to fill pixels instead of new shape layer ect.) make a totally black fill
Ctrl+click layer = all this does is select all the pixels in the layer, in this case, the black circle that was just created. Also a good time to make sure you have the right layer highlighted as well.
Select>Modify>Contract = then set how many pixels you want your selection to move in
Delete = just hit the delete key and you'll see your circle outline
Ctrl+D = this just deselects the pixels

It looks like a lot, but once you do tons of these for something like speech bubbles and such - it's not that bad. If I confused anyone instead of helping, I'm sorry.

And if anyone has a quicker way, please share. :sweat:
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:39 am

Ooo, okay. That makes good sense ... I'll translate to Macintosh keystrokes ;) and give it a shot when I'm back at my desk. Thank you! :)

shooraijin

Postby inkhana » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:58 am

It really messes it up that PS uses vector graphics like that...I'd rather they were always rasterized but what do I know. I usually make a solid fill (in PS 5), go under select/modify/contract, and contract the marquee the degree I want, and hit delete to clear the rest away. A thoroughly annoying process, but I don't know any other way to do it.

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby inkhana » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:06 am

Sorry about the dual post, but I'm changing topics. Since I changed my avatar, I have had a LOT of people comment on it, usually in a somewhat negative fashion considering my previous avs. Just to prevent further confusion: this av is more in character than the previous ones were; people have made an assumption (subconsciously or otherwise) as to Kyla's character based on the avs, were not really accurate representatives. I will remain the scary hypno-eyed kitty mod...til I get tired of it...:evil: Just so you know.

Edit: BTW, some of you are scared really easily. Bwa ha ha...

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:56 am

I beg your forgiveness, Ink. I'm getting so used to it. It's a really great picture with such nice textures. The eyes are done so well. Okay, and I'll shut up now. *bows out the door, backing away as Ink throws something at her*

And BTW, I do scare easy. :waah!: I'm a wimp. :sweat:

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby madphilb » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:21 pm

Chloe and me agree I think... I was already thinking I was going to have to comment that it was kinda freaky at first, it's starting to grow on me (and the art itself is great).

It's a good looking avatar (I've got to revamp mine at some point, I did a very poor job of converting it over from the web comic UberSoft, it's their lead programmer, Phil :D )

Keep up the good work Ink.

PHIL
madphilb

Postby inkhana » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:05 pm

>it was kinda freaky at first, it's starting to grow on me

Awww, darn. Now I won't be able to scare off the n00bs. Great. ;) LOL

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby inkhana » Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:56 pm

UPDATE TIIIIIIIIIME! *throws confetti* Chapter three is officially up! :jump: Woo hoo! PLUS: two new sections, fan art and wallpapers! And, knowing myself, a number of site tweaks I can't remember.

Go here to read the manga: Steelblood

Or click on my sig pic and go under "fun stuff" to see the new sections! w00t!

Um, I guess that's it! ^^

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby shooraijin » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:09 pm

Whee! *ready to invest hours of happy reading* ;)

shooraijin

Postby Mr. Rogers » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:09 pm

:thumb: :rock:
Mr. Rogers

Postby Razgriz » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:28 pm

sldr4Christ1985 wrote::thumb: :rock:

I agree, the third chapter is awesome, funny too.
Razgriz

Postby Mave » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:01 pm

:thumb: Good job! Where are you getting all those screentones?
I might incorporate that in mine one day. I like your shadings and I see you improving more and more each time. Also, how do you create your conversation bubbles? They sure look very clean. ^^

Some comments (not to be taken personally, I'm learning how to be tactfully honest):
1) Erm..was the pond/lake scene necessary? If it was in order to see someone skid on the pond/lake's surface, OK then coz that was a funny scene!
2) The cat person reminds me of Escaflowne's cat character. Sorry, but she's a bit annoying. :sweat: :sweat:

Ink: I am so sorry MichiruT...I accidentally clicked edit instead of reply and I didn't notice it til I had already posted...*slaps herself silly* But I put it back together so I think I got it all right...I'm so tired...
Mave

Previous Next

Return to Webmanga/comics