Prayer in the Father’s House

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

Prayer in the Father’s House

Postby John_Smith » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:13 am

. . . they found Him in the temple . . . . And He said to them, ’. . . Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?’ —Luke 2:46, 49

Our Lord’s childhood was not immaturity waiting to grow into manhood— His childhood is an eternal fact. Am I a holy, innocent child of God as a result of my identification with my Lord and Savior? Do I look at my life as being in my Father’s house? Is the Son of God living in His Father’s house within me?

The only abiding reality is God Himself, and His order comes to me moment by moment. Am I continually in touch with the reality of God, or do I pray only when things have gone wrong— when there is some disturbance in my life? I must learn to identify myself closely with my Lord in ways of holy fellowship and oneness that some of us have not yet even begun to learn. “. . . I must be about My Father’s business”— and I must learn to live every moment of my life in my Father’s house.

Think about your own circumstances. Are you so closely identified with the Lord’s life that you are simply a child of God, continually talking to Him and realizing that everything comes from His hands? Is the eternal Child in you living in His Father’s house? Is the grace of His ministering life being worked out through you in your home, your business, and in your circle of friends? Have you been wondering why you are going through certain circumstances? In fact, it is not that you have to go through them. It is because of your relationship with the Son of God who comes, through the providential will of His Father, into your life. You must allow Him to have His way with you, staying in perfect oneness with Him.

The life of your Lord is to become your vital, simple life, and the way He worked and lived among people while here on earth must be the way He works and lives in you.

from My Utmost for His Highest

*Luke 2:46-49: Now so it was that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. And all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers. So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, “Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously.” And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?”

*Matt 18:1-6: At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me. “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea.”

*Ecc 3:1 To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven.

"Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of God no matter what the conflict". –Anonymous quote

Even hard times have an appointed time by God. We are allowed to ask God why, and we may or may not get an answer in this lifetime (See the entire Book of Job). But do we stumble through the cliché: Run to God and pray and promise during tough times, and then forget about Him during the good? That’s not a healthy relationship with God. What if we didn’t have to run to God at all during rough times, and if we’re already meandering along together?

Peace is a part of the fruit of the Spirit. It is something which should envelop our lives. This means we should both be peacemakers, and should have peace inside; a trust that our Lord has control over all matters of our life.
John_Smith

Re: Prayer in the Father’s House

Postby John_Smith » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:09 am

So... yes, I'm back! I don't know if I'll be posting these daily or not... I’ll try, despite of the failure previously. I can state right off the bat that I’ve forgotten what an Easter Egg hunt Chamber's comments could send me on... so much so that I end up having to hold back for fear of writing too much. These 'daily' devotionals have done me better good than anyone else.
John_Smith

Postby John_Smith » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:19 am

Ignore this, accidental triple post. Sorry.
John_Smith

Re: Prayer in the Father’s House

Postby ClaecElric4God » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:55 pm

I'm so late in posting in these devotionals. First off, thanks so much for bringing these back. Hopefully I'll get my act together and start participating in this again. I really do appreciate you bringing these devotions and sharing your thoughts.

I've been thinking a lot about my father/child relationship with God lately. And honestly, I've spent the last few months (years?) in a spiritual place where I'm struggling with things and going to God and asking why, so it's been awhile since I've had a chance to see whether I would keep walking with God even when things aren't rough. But yeah, that's a thing we do a lot. This spare tire theology, where we only "use" God when we need His help with something, we don't treat Him like a Father who deserves our love, honor, and a relationship with us no matter what's going on in our lives. That's something I'm having to learn as all I do is cry out and complain to Him, but don't sit quietly and wait for His guidance.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Return to Devotional Readings