The Glory That’s Unsurpassed

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

The Glory That’s Unsurpassed

Postby John_Smith » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:01 am

". . . the Lord Jesus . . . has sent me that you may receive your sight . . ." —Acts 9:17

When Paul received his sight, he also received spiritual insight into the Person of Jesus Christ. His entire life and preaching from that point on were totally consumed with nothing but Jesus Christ— “For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified” (1 Corinthians 2:2). Paul never again allowed anything to attract and hold the attention of his mind and soul except the face of Jesus Christ.

We must learn to maintain a strong degree of character in our lives, even to the level that has been revealed in our vision of Jesus Christ.

The lasting characteristic of a spiritual man is the ability to understand correctly the meaning of the Lord Jesus Christ in his life, and the ability to explain the purposes of God to others. The overruling passion of his life is Jesus Christ. Whenever you see this quality in a person, you get the feeling that he is truly a man after God’s own heart (see Acts 13:22).*

Never allow anything to divert you from your insight into Jesus Christ. It is the true test of whether you are spiritual or not. To be unspiritual means that other things have a growing fascination for you. Since mine eyes have looked on Jesus, I’ve lost sight of all beside, So enchained my spirit’s vision, Gazing on the Crucified.

from My Utmost for His Highest

*Acts 13:22: "And when He had removed him, He raised up for them David as king, to whom also He gave testimony and said, ‘I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My own heart, who will do all My will.'"

I'll be posting these daily, or at least, as much as I can. If you'd like to help out, or have questions, you can go to this thread, or pm me. That being said, I don't know anything about anything, and for all I know, I'm jumping the gun just by posting this.

My thoughts on today's devotional:
For the past few days a phrase has been stuck in my head: "The heart is a flighty thing." I don't where it came from, with my best guess leading me to Jeremiah 17:9: "The heart is deceitful above all things and is desperately sick; who can understand it?" Perhaps someone here has a better guess as to where this phrase came from, but either way, both the phrase and verse hold truth. How many times do we commit our lives to God (or to anything for that matter?), but then slowly find ourselves giving in to something else? We end up playing the harlot against God (Hosea 9:1).
Chambers stresses the importance here about going after God's heart. This is life-long endeavor; I certainly cannot say with confidence that my "entire life [is] totally consumed with nothing but Jesus Christ." You can never love God enough!
John_Smith

Re: The Glory That’s Unsurpassed

Postby ClaecElric4God » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:03 pm

"The overruling passion of his life is Jesus Christ." I love that line. Overrule - To disallow the action or arguments of, especially by virtue of higher authority.
That's such an awesome application. If we could just embrace the idea that Jesus Christ is the highest authority in or lives, it would be so much easier to overrule the lesser desires we have. The problem is that we rely too much on our hearts. The expression "follow your heart" is such a prevalent idea these days, but if we're to go by Jeremiah 17:9, that's the most ignorant thing anyone could do. I think so often we let our heart direct our lives, instead of giving everything to our Lord.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Return to Devotional Readings