short study i did

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

short study i did

Postby Barracuda777 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:28 am

Hey Guys i was reading my bible in 1st chronicles and i was reading through family lines and all and i decided to do a study on Nimrod. Nimrod is the exact opposite of a Godly king he got to where he was at the expense of his people, where a Godly king would put his people before himself, anyways his name means "to rebel". and he was the first recorded king on the earth, he founded Babylon and in 3200 BC was called KISH. From there i was going to do a comparitive study to a Godly king but God directed me towards King Saul... so i dug deeper to find that Sauls fathers name is also Kish ( spelt exactlty the same as the Kish Nimrod Founded) and Sauls kingship was a direct result of Isreals rebellion to God. Because from the very beginning God was to be there king and Isreal was to be his people.

I just found this very interesting and amazing how no matter what you study, and no matter how mundane or boring you think some books in the bible are ( i know you've all thought it at one point or another) if you havge the right heart towards God and truly want to know him more he will speak to you in such ways that will blow your mind time and time again.

The only thing you learn from studying the bible truly is a understanding of how much you dont know and the vast limitlessness of a God who orchistrated all events in history so beautifully to draw a people to himself.

Anyways i hope those who read this get something from it and never cease to grow.
Luke 2:52 And Jesus kept increasing in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men
(NAS) i like this translation because it has "kept" to signify and ongoing process
Barracuda777

Postby Nate » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:08 pm

I'm not too sure on the "first recorded king in history." If you're going solely by the title "king" that might be true (though I think Gilgamesh, who is widely regarded to be an actual historic figure, might have him beat, but I'm not too sure). However if you're just going by the general idea of a king regardless of the name, I'm fairly sure Narmer, the Pharaoh who founded the First Dynasty in Egypt beats him out.

And yeah, Saul was a sign of Israel's rebellion, because the people cried out "Give us a king!" and God said "No, I am your king." The people still cried out for a king and God said "Okay, you can have a king if you want but if you get one it's going to suck for you, just to let you know." Even knowing this they still wanted one, and so yeah.

It has a lot to do with Israel wanting to be seen on the same level as the other kingdoms surrounding it at the time, it's kind of tough to be seen as credible when you're just a bunch of people without a human leader.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Peanut » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:03 pm

Nice study I especially relate to this:

Barracuda777 (post: 1350736) wrote:The only thing you learn from studying the bible truly is a understanding of how much you dont know and the vast limitlessness of a God who orchistrated all events in history so beautifully to draw a people to himself.

My entire time at college has been one giant lesson in how little I actually know and will know about God. It's been humbling, eye opening and incredibly helpful to me.

Nate wrote:And yeah, Saul was a sign of Israel's rebellion, because the people cried out "Give us a king!" and God said "No, I am your king." The people still cried out for a king and God said "Okay, you can have a king if you want but if you get one it's going to suck for you, just to let you know." Even knowing this they still wanted one, and so yeah.

It has a lot to do with Israel wanting to be seen on the same level as the other kingdoms surrounding it at the time, it's kind of tough to be seen as credible when you're just a bunch of people without a human leader.

I'm going off of memory here, but I recall in the Pentateuch (I think it was Deuteronomy...) that Moses actually said something along the lines of "A day will come when you will want a king so here are some standards for them to follow." They were stuff like, they had to keep a copy of the law at all times and read it daily. You know, things that would have prevented a large number of the character flaws that can come from being king. And...well...not even David followed them...yeah, kind of tells you something about the human condition...Just thought I'd add that to your comment since...well...it seems to fit.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Barracuda777 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:04 pm

Mention of Nimrod in the Bible is rather limited. According to the "documentary hypothesis" of the Bible's origin, the Jahwist writer(s) make the earliest mention of Nimrod.[1]He is described as the son of Cush, grandson of Ham, great-grandson of Noah; and as "a mighty one on the earth" and "a mighty hunter before the Lord". He also appears in the First Book of Chronicles and in the Book of Micah.Nimrod is said to be the founder and king of the first empire after the Flood, and his realm is connected with the Mesopotamian towns Babylon (Babel), Uruk, Akkad and Calneh. He is mentioned in the Table of Nations (Genesis 10), where he is said to have founded many cities. Owing to an ambiguity in the original Hebrew text, it is unclear whether it is he or Asshur who additionally founded Nineveh, Resen, Rehoboth-Ir and Calah, and both of these interpretations are reflected in the various English versions.(Genesis 10:8–10

this is from wikipedia every thing is cited and referenced should you want to look at it. im sorry if i dident say it before but i ment the first king after the flood
Barracuda777

Return to Devotional Readings