May 30, 2009

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

May 30, 2009

Postby Rev. Doc » Sat May 30, 2009 6:28 am

Who Cares?

"Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."
Galatians 6:2

Bob Perks writes:
"How are you today?"

"I'm fine, how are you?"

"I'm not so good today."

Silence.

Most of the time we take conversations like this as simple chit-chat. Nice words spoken as a courtesy without real concern or obligation.

"How are you today?" He asks the next person.

"I'm doing great! How are you?"

"I've been better," he replied.

He rings up the sale, hands her the bag and she leaves.

The next person moves up, "How are you today?"

"I'm doing fine," she said. But she never asked him. I could see this empty look on his face.

I was in a local discount dollar store. I was looking for wrapping paper which was located near the front register.

Over and over I heard the same conversation as customers were leaving the store.

No one took the next step. No one asked the clerk why he was having such a bad day.

In general we go through these niceties but we really don't want to know how someone is doing. Most times we don't really tell the truth anyway because we figure it's none of their business or no one really cares about our troubles.

So, when I checked out I took it a step further. I always do.

"How are you today?" He asked me.

"Wonderful, thanks. How are you?"

"Not doing well today," he replied.

"Work getting to you?"

"No, well, I don't want to be here."

"The day's almost over. I hope it gets better," I told him.

"This won't get any better."

"I'll say a prayer for you."

"That won't help. I have someone who is dying."

I set the bag on the counter, leaned in and said, "I'm so very sorry. Is it a family member?"

"My grandfather. He's filling up with fluid.

His body is swollen and they say he only has a few days."

I went on to tell him that my Gramps was my favorite. "I really loved that man."

"He's my last grandparent," he added.

We talked a little more and looking at his name tag, I reached my hand out and said, "Clark, I am so very sorry. I promise to remember you and your grandfather in my prayers.

We shook hands and I left.

I wondered how many other people didn't ask.

How many times have you heard someone express sadness, frustration or disappointment and you didn't respond.

Sure, the line might be long. Step aside and continue the conversation.

Sure, you might be in a hurry. This will only take a few minutes.

Sure, in essence you might not really care. You'll need someone to care one day, too.

But when someone is honest enough to tell you things aren't so good today, they are hoping that someone cares enough to ask why.

Is anyone listening?

"The Christian faith is meant to be lived moment by moment. It isn't some broad, general outline--it's a long walk with a real Person. Details count: passing thoughts, small sacrifices, a few encouraging words, little acts of kindness, brief victories over nagging sins."
~Joni Eareckson Tada
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby rocklobster » Sat May 30, 2009 12:06 pm

great food for thought. Thanks for the thought, Doc.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Reon » Sat May 30, 2009 3:09 pm

It was funny and a weird experience, I don't normally do this but truly respect friends who go to the city and talk with homeless people on a regular basis. After leaving a church in Oakland, California with my family (my original Church and having spoken in tongues for the first time) a homeless person walked passed me as I walked to my car asking for change or something... ended up stopping and talking with him (no clue why). We ended up sitting down and he explained his views on religion etc and just what he was going through. It was an educated conversation, I didn't agree with hardly any of his views, but when I had to go legitimately he reached into his thick jacket to grab me a can of Coca-Cola for taking the time out of my day to talk with him. As much as he was looking to get something from me, a spare buck, or more - when I gave him my time he was ready to give me something of his (on top of his time). I don't know if I had an impact on him, but the fact I got to share that moment of my life with him is something thats pry gonna stick with me. I hope I'm able to reach out to them on a realer level one day, God willing.

Totally know what you meant with your devotional considering I work at two jobs where you need customer service and I can talk to well over 200+ people a given day if only for a few seconds. There's many road blocks to get over and sometimes its not always the right time, but like I guy name Sal I met at Starbucks the other day said "The more I give my time even when I feel like I have no energy to give, the more I feel like I increase." A little trippy, but I think he means to say that after just breaking up with his girlfriend and feeling like he has nothing, the more he does stuff for other people, the better his situation seems to get. Now while I'm typing I'm pondering psychological things and situational occurrences... gonna stop myself ^^ Thanks for the devo Rev
[color="DimGray"]
[SIZE="1"][font="Arial Narrow"]....[/font][/SIZE]
[/color]
Reon

Return to Devotional Readings