The New Official ~One Piece~ Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

The New Official ~One Piece~ Thread

Postby goldenspines » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:10 pm

~Come aboard and bring along all your hopes and dreams~

I think we had a thread for One Piece a long while back, but I can't seem to locate it, thus I'm making a new one specifically for the anime, but manga talk can happen here as well.
In all honesty, while One Piece is one of the most popular shonen series (almost too popular, one might say), I don't know if we have many (if any at all) followers of the show or manga. I will maintain the hope that I'm not alone, but I might be. (;A;)

What is One Piece?
It's a shonen anime series (started as a manga, which is still ongoing) about pirates and following your dreams~
That's all you really need to know, but here's the Wikipedia article just in case you want to know more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Piece

W-w-what? There are 580 episodes out already? I can't watch this, it's too long!
Oh come on, it's only 8,700 hours/362.5 days/51.8 weeks/pretty much a year out of your life. Just skip all the moe stuff you watch already and watch this instead! *is shot*
Though, really, it is difficult to recommend a series that's so long already and especially hard to gain new fans of the series because of it. So while I made this thread mainly for those of you already watching/reading One Piece, I will welcome you with open arms if you want to give the series a shot for the first time.
While the anime adaptation for One Piece is excellent, reading the manga goes a lot faster if you're pressed for time.

Where can I watch One Piece?
Funimation happens to have One Piece and is slowly dubbing it. But, they are super people and are streaming the episodes over at their Official One Piece site: http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx It has all the episodes up the to most recently released one.

This thread is reserved for all discussion about One Piece, anime or manga, or other One Piece related things.

Note: If you are past chapter 655 in the manga, please put all your comments about the story in spoilers, please.
goldenspines

Re: The New Official ~One Piece~ Thread

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:58 pm

One Piece IS, ALWAYS has been and ALWAYS will be my favorite anime of all time. I'm caught up to episode 569 so I have a good bit down. I only skipped one part and if not for the fact that I can't get the spoiler tags working I would saw which cause I felt it was worth skipping.
Broly Ultimatrix

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:45 pm

I read the manga, which I'd recommend for anyone who wants to catch up in a hurry.

When I joined CAA I would have said One Piece was the worst of the big three, but my opinion has inverted. Not only does One Piece gain strength as it goes, I'm confident that it's actually going somewhere and trying to do something meaningful. Since they crossed the Red Line, things have been fantastic. The plots tie into the larger world and it looks like they'll have consequences beyond the island of the day.
uc pseudonym

Postby Crossfire » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:27 pm

I've been meaning to watch this for a good four years... but I can never bring myself to it. I don't know if it's the fact that I'd have to catch up over a decade's worth of airing, or the issues I have with the character designs...
Crossfire

Postby goldenspines » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:39 pm

Broly Ultimatrix wrote:One Piece IS, ALWAYS has been and ALWAYS will be my favorite anime of all time. I'm caught up to episode 569 so I have a good bit down. I only skipped one part and if not for the fact that I can't get the spoiler tags working I would saw which cause I felt it was worth skipping.
You can do the spoiler tags manually until we can get the post buttons to work.
Spoiler tags look like this (minus the stars) [spoiler*] Put your spoiler here. [/spoiler*]

EDIT: Forgot to finish this post.

UC wrote: When I joined CAA I would have said One Piece was the worst of the big three, but my opinion has inverted. Not only does One Piece gain strength as it goes, I'm confident that it's actually going somewhere and trying to do something meaningful. Since they crossed the Red Line, things have been fantastic. The plots tie into the larger world and it looks like they'll have consequences beyond the island of the day.
I recall not liking One Piece in the beginning for various reasons, regarding the "big three" (I think I liked Bleach the most, haaaaha), but I got over my initial worries and just started to watch and read it. It was after the Alabasta arc that I actually really started to like the story and the characters even more. And yeah, it just kept building quality after that. It has a good mix of light-hearted and crazy antics along with serious and touching moments.
goldenspines

Postby goldenspines » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:47 pm

(yes, I will double post)

I forgot to mention in my opening post, but each new One Piece episode comes out on Saturday (in the US timezones). I didn't really comment much on last episode since all they did was SPOILER: Highlight text to read: fight/kill a dragon and the rest of the crew (except Brook) got kidnapped by creepy guys in suits. But this week's episode was a bit more interesting since it's building up to the whole exciting story of Punk Hazard (I thought it was interesting, especially since it contained a trope that I usually hate, but it worked in this story). SPOILER: Highlight text to read: But the Slime monster later is eeeeehh.
But short notes on Episode 581: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: My only favorite part was Nami, Franky, Sanji and Chopper trying to put the samurai's face back together. And I also completely spaced the whole Luffy becoming a centaur thing, which I didn't think could get any weirder than it was in the manga, but I was apparently wrong...
And a glimpse of Master!
Looking forward to the next episode with the actual centaur people, though.
goldenspines

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:25 am

So the anime is close to the start of the Punk Hazard arc? How have they avoided catching up to the manga? Yes, I could look it up, but I'd like some people's thoughts on how that works. Is it filler, slowing the pacing, or what?

goldenspines wrote:I recall not liking One Piece in the beginning for various reasons, regarding the "big three" (I think I liked Bleach the most, haaaaha), but I got over my initial worries and just started to watch and read it. It was after the Alabasta arc that I actually really started to like the story and the characters even more. And yeah, it just kept building quality after that. It has a good mix of light-hearted and crazy antics along with serious and touching moments.

Same here, though I was still skimming during the Alabasta arc. It was the part around the time skip where I got fully invested.
uc pseudonym

Postby goldenspines » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:41 am

uc pseudonym wrote:So the anime is close to the start of the Punk Hazard arc? How have they avoided catching up to the manga? Yes, I could look it up, but I'd like some people's thoughts on how that works. Is it filler, slowing the pacing, or what?
A little bit of both. Slowing the pace is definitely one though (example: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It took them a whole episode to kill the dragon. Plus we've been on Punk Hazard for three episodes already and just barely we found out about the other half of the island.
But yeah, there has been some filler as well throughout the whole anime. Though, because of its story structure, One Piece can pull it off fairly well (between arcs, at least) and still manage to make it work with the story and not disrupt the flow of their journey. Though, looking back, some of the filler was kinda stupid, but it's not terribly far-fetched from the story line at least. (There was actually a mini arc, called G-8 arc, about the crew escaping a marine base they fell on top of/inside after coming back from Skypiea. XD;; )
For reference, here's the color coded guide to episodes/movies/etc.: http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_Guide

Right now, though, they are coming pretty close to the manga's story line. Though, judging by the pace of the anime now, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: we probably won't even get to the body switch for three or four episodes. x.x

Hence, it really is faster to read the manga, especially if you don't mind missing whatever new-ish stuff they throw into the anime. XD I personally enjoy the anime, though, since both the voicing and animation is excellent and a lot more enjoyable as well. But yeah, the pacing is about half (or less) the speed the manga is.

As a side note, the One Piece movies (thus far) are well worth the watch, even if one doesn't watch the anime.
goldenspines

Postby goldenspines » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:59 am

This poor thread, it's sinking! D: I have to keep it alive for the rest of you trying to catch up on One Piece (yes, I know there's at least one of you).

But I held off posting for a while, because this Punk Hazard arc cannot move any slower, I'm sure, but we finally made it to my first favorite part of this arc.
In which our heroes steal coats from centaurs.

I'm so excited because they get such awesome coats, I am not even joking (Luffy's is like a Where's Waldo look-a-like, Robin's is pink and has little ears on the hood, and Zoro's picks the one that looks like it belongs to some mountain man or something. XD; It's bland in color, but looks all rough and weathered. I can't remember which one Usopp gets, since he was too frozen to be gung ho about stealing coats).
Yes, I like the clothes in this show, so coats~

Also, my least favorite trope has showed up, but this is one of the few places I find it tolerable: body swapping. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Though it's only happened for Sanji, Nami, Chopper, and Franky (Chopper as Sanji is pretty adorable, I must admit). I can't remember how much later Tashigi and Smoker switch...but I think it's coming up soon.
Though actually, if anyone reading this has read the manga or has any ideas from just watching the anime, why do you think Law switched the bodies of the four Straw Hat crew members as opposed to chopping them into pieces like he did for the samurai (or doing anything else)? Out of all the things he could have done, switching bodies would only slow them down, not stop them, which I suppose is what he needed, but I just thought it was interesting. Or maybe Law just needs a good laugh? XD;

Regarding the recent manga chapters, since I'm here: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Alliances! That's the main thing that's been going on, at least. And things are starting to turn to turmoil because of Doflamingo resignation from being a shichibukai. And now our pirates alliances are going after the yonkou (I can't remember how these were translated, "four emperors"?) because reasons??? I know Law has some motive that he's brought the Straw Hats in for, though. I might have missed that important plot point, but I'm just rolling with stuff now and laughing about the fact that Law is starting to slowly fit in with the fun antics of the Straw Hat crew. XD; OH BUT THAT CLIFFHANGER TO CHAPTER 700. The plot thickens.
I only recently found out in my One Piece watching/reading up on that not all devil fruit are exclusive, thus making this most recent development make a lot more sense, but also more worrisome.

And I guess for fun, I recently stumbled upon some character songs for One Piece, but this one was by far my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgv-qiVC2tg
If you like Usopp and Chopper, you might enjoy the song. ^_^
goldenspines

Postby Hiryu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:32 am

When I see a series with a goltiath sized amount of episodes, I don't think "OMG this is going to take forever!" I think "People have always wanted more of their favorite game or anime." This series is no exception.
Hiryu

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:47 am

Hiryu wrote:I think "People have always wanted more of their favorite game or anime." This series is no exception.

So is that a good or a bad thing?
Broly Ultimatrix

Postby goldenspines » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:02 am

It's a very kind compliment, I think. One Piece is a great series, but it's really long. But because it's long, fans can enjoy it for longer and somehow keep believing that the adventure will never end. I think we all understand that all great stories have to end, but no one really wants them to. Especially if the story continues to be a fantastic, like One Piece.
goldenspines

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:46 pm

The potential ending of One Piece is actually one of the reasons I like it. Unlike Bleach or Naruto, which are wandering aimlessly with new antagonists, One Piece has a definite ending point. Many pieces of the plot (the World Government, what's really on the last island, the Lost Century, etc) are clearly leading up to something. Most of our antagonists have been introduced and everyone is on a collision course.

One Piece may be a long story, but it isn't an endless story. It's going somewhere, and I think when it arrives it will be the right ending.

Recent stuff:
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: While the real reason is probably the humor value, I assumed that Law was setting up for his alliance with Luffy. He wanted to slow down the Straw Hats without crippling them (especially given the number of enemies on the island), showing he's a threat but not creating bad blood that might prevent an alliance. I liked this whole bit; just changing how the eyes are drawn makes everyone's identity clear.

I'm glad we're getting the Pirate Emperors involved, especially the guy who hasn't appeared at all yet. I enjoy these broader hierarchies. Speaking of which, it seems we have a new Shichibukai, with a mystery member. And Buggy. I've always felt he was one of the weaker elements of the story, but maybe he's actually still around for a reason.
uc pseudonym

Postby goldenspines » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:40 pm

Update for those who may not know yet: http://www.japanator.com/eiichiro-oda-t ... 8230.phtml

Thus, the manga is taking a break for a while (until the 25th so says JUMP), though I have yet to hear if they are pausing the anime as well (there was not a new episode last week, but I have yet to see this week).

Either way, considering how hard Eiichiro Oda works to create a new chapter every week, he has earned some rest while recovering.

In the meantime, as always, I want to open up this thread for everyone reading/watching One Piece. Even if you are not caught up yet, let us know where you are in the story! Do you have a favorite arc? Favorite character? Have you just started? etc.
Feel free to talk about the movies here as well if you would like. O:

uc pseudonym wrote:Recent stuff:
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: While the real reason is probably the humor value, I assumed that Law was setting up for his alliance with Luffy. He wanted to slow down the Straw Hats without crippling them (especially given the number of enemies on the island), showing he's a threat but not creating bad blood that might prevent an alliance. I liked this whole bit; just changing how the eyes are drawn makes everyone's identity clear.

I'm glad we're getting the Pirate Emperors involved, especially the guy who hasn't appeared at all yet. I enjoy these broader hierarchies. Speaking of which, it seems we have a new Shichibukai, with a mystery member. And Buggy. I've always felt he was one of the weaker elements of the story, but maybe he's actually still around for a reason.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I went back and reread those chapters and with what you're saying, it makes a lot more sense.
Also, yes, the fact they changed everyone's eyes to match each character just made the whole body switch thing much more fun. =D

Oh, and because I was doing a bit of backtracking (in the anime mainly), I had forgotten that we did recently get a small peak at one of the four emperors when the Straw Hats were about to leave Fishman Island (after they ate all the food and candy).
But wow, I had apparently forgotten or thought it was not important, but the four emperors now are Shanks, Big Mom (can't remember her real name), Teach, and Kaido(??). The One Piece wiki is my only source for this though since I was too lazy to dig through all the past chapters. :\
Yeah, Buggy sticking around is kind of unexpected, though I can't say unwelcome, personally. When he originally made his appearance, I though it was just a one trick pony villain with a traveling circus, so seeing him again was surprising, but having that sort of "funny" character to balance out the rest of the serious business Shichibukai may turn out to be interesting. Who knows, though.

New chapter developments, though! SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The Island of Toys! My fears of talking puppets and dolls may be tested in this arc, I'm sure. Also, the island has very vengeful women...that's a bit unnerving.
I like how the teams are split up, though. Fun times are ahead
Also, Franky's hair is making me laugh every time I see it.
And I feel like I should know who the mysterious blind man is. Any guesses? Or do we think he's a new character?
goldenspines

Postby SierraLea » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:01 pm

I skipped whole story arcs since my library didn't have them, so I got caught up quick on this and am currently waiting for the 62nd volume. All the characters have had their chance to evolve, something a lot of series lack. I am massively enjoying this. Plus, some of those devil fruit powers are both funny and incredible!
SierraLea

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Anyone else happy about recent developments? I'm probably in the minority, but I think the tournament dynamic has potential for many interesting stories (it's just rarely used properly). Seems like this one will be only three matches long - if Oda doesn't interrupt it before then. I was hoping for a longer tournament with politics and subplots going on with all the other crew members.

The stereotypical way for this to fall out: the finalists are the Block A guy, Cavendish, Luffy, and Rebecca. Luffy beats Cavendish, Block A guy beats Rebecca (and is brutal about it to make Luffy angry). Then we have the obvious final face-off. Let's hope we get something more interesting.

Also, I'm not usually one for OP's sight gags, but those beards...
uc pseudonym

Postby Vilo159 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:17 pm

I remember when I was like 10 and friends talking about this show where some guy has stretchy arms and this cool guy used three swords. Then later a friend once talked about a show called One Piece and showed me the theme song, which time ended up really distorting in my memory, and some crazy fight scene, but I didn't make the connection. It was only when I came on here that I put the two together. I've been meaning to watch it since I first joined.

Anyway, I started watching it a week or two ago. I'm on like episode 11, where SPOILER: Highlight text to read: they're meeting Usopp and helping him stop a plot to kill some rich girl. I really like it so far. The characters are all building really nicely. And if the villains are all as good as Buggy, then its gonna be really awesome.
I do share the common concern of, "Man, what am I getting myself into?" but if what you guys say is true, then that won't be a concern. I'll just accept that I'll never catch up and enjoy watching at my own pace.

I'm watching the dub that Funimation has; I don't know why, I thought since its been aired so much on american TV then the dub is probably pretty good. That and I think it's more familiar to most people that way. I like it. Anyone able to give a comparison of the two?

Unfortunately, I know nothing of the manga; I haven't read any mangas at all.
Vilo159

Postby KazeShiki » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:34 pm

Oh man if you already like One Piece, you're in for a real fun ride. The general consensus is One Piece is relatively slow/boring until around ep30/Arlong arc, and then it continues to get better.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby Vilo159 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:58 pm

It is a little slow,yeah, and that was something I was worried about, but they manage to end everything on a cliffhanger so you keep watching. And I assumed it would get better; its gotta be if its 580 episodes and going.
Vilo159

Postby goldenspines » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:35 am

uc pseudonym wrote:Anyone else happy about recent developments? I'm probably in the minority, but I think the tournament dynamic has potential for many interesting stories (it's just rarely used properly). Seems like this one will be only three matches long - if Oda doesn't interrupt it before then. I was hoping for a longer tournament with politics and subplots going on with all the other crew members.

The stereotypical way for this to fall out: the finalists are the Block A guy, Cavendish, Luffy, and Rebecca. Luffy beats Cavendish, Block A guy beats Rebecca (and is brutal about it to make Luffy angry). Then we have the obvious final face-off. Let's hope we get something more interesting.

Also, I'm not usually one for OP's sight gags, but those beards...

I was nervous about the whole tournament style for a while, but once the fellow "gladiators" were introduced, I got a lot more excited about it. For me, battles are a lot more interesting when you have really great characters.
Like you, I'd like this mini tournament arc to drag on for a longer while just so we can see what happened to the other characters (I get the feeling Oda might do this, though, so I'm not terribly worried).
Not that I'm missing things that drag on a long time *coughtheanimecough*

I'd say that Rebecca looks familar, but it's often hard to tell with female characters in One Piece. :I She seems like someone who would come from Amazon Lily, though...(I may have missed, but did they say where she was from?)

I love all the One Piece sight gags even in their dorkiness, but I will admit, those beards do make an impression above all the rest. XD

Speaking of the anime, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Tashigi and Smoker switch bodies, we heard more history of Punk Hazard from Brownbeard/Alligator guy, and finally we get to see Caesar Clown in all his gas-y-ness. XP
Actually, the pacing now on this isn't too bad as it was when the Punk Hazard arc started (too long on the dragon, but maybe they didn't want that monster design to go to waste?).

But yaaaaay, more people in this thread! ^o^ *hands out gift baskets*

@ Vilo: In a whole wide view of the series, the first part starts out rather well, getting you used to the world and the mainish characters before just throwing everything at you. It's just fun times being pirates, beating bad guys, and eating lots of food! And later on, like with the characters, the story style grows as they grow and become stronger.
Usopp's arc was one of my favorite character intro arcs. I recall not really liking him as a character at first, but he grows on you and quickly becomes a favorite (I know a lot of OP fans who love him).
Do you have a favorite character so far? :3
And please feel free to keep posting here as you're watching! One Piece is one of those anime that I love to revisit past arcs on and remember all the great/epic moments. =D

One Piece sub vs. dub (Funimation's dub. We do not talk about the other dub, we do not talk about the other dub): Out of all English dubs, Funi has done One Piece the best, for mainly one reason; Toei Animation (who made the One Piece anime), through a series of events (concering the "other dub") would only let Funi dub One Piece if Toei got to choose which VA would play which of the main characters (main characters of the crew, at least). Thus, you will get a really close match between the sub and dub on all the voices. I believe there was also rules about scripting as well/translation freedom. But Funi tries to match things pretty closely, so this isn't too bad.
That being said, I like the sub better just because of some of the ways things are said individual to each character that can't be translated into English, but if I only had the dub to watch, I would still be pretty happy.
goldenspines

Postby Vilo159 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:46 pm

I don't have a favorite yet, they're all good! But if I had to choose, right now I'd pick Usopp. I think he's got the most characterization so far, which is something I look for. I really love his devotion and love for the people in his village, even when they hate him and there's not much he can do to save them. It really shows a lot about him; I know there were a couple times where I might have just rage quit and let the people fend for themselves.
Luffy would have to come second, I think. He's not the most unique character on the surface, but he's got really good characterization too. I love the backstory of him getting his hat from Shanks. And I love how when things get tough, instead of grimacing and sweating or something, he shows almost no emotion. He just frowns slightly and gets this look of, "Huh. That doesn't look good."

Also, I guess I'm gonna have to learn to like the sub now. Funimation doesn't have any dubs past episode 13, it seems. Which stinks, because I really liked the voice actors in the dub, and I like the opening theme better in english. Oh well. -___-
Vilo159

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:21 pm

Well, I'm glad to say I was wrong. I thought the Block melees were introduced to rush through the tournament, but it seems they're going to get a proper treatment. This is way more fun than just having a bunch of quick fights. It calls back the feeling from the Marineford arc, where a diverse bunch of characters with all kinds of powers were clashing. I think this kind of thing is one of One Piece's strengths.
uc pseudonym

Postby goldenspines » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:00 am

Sorry for the super late response! Though the manga is currently on hiatus until June 10 (because Oda needs to like, take more breaks and get his illnesses (tonsillitis in this case) treated before it becomes terrible), though when last we left our heroes SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Luffy had been discovered, despite his great disguise. XD Mostly it's just covering the results of the B block's tournament now. Didn't expect the winner results there.
Also,there is something amusing about Franky and the tin soldier guy teaming up to destroy the factory.

Meanwhile in the anime land, we've made a lot of progress and have gotten to a lot of my favorites parts! SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Like the Straw Hats tying Chopper to Law's head.
But at present, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: smiley is out and everything is getting stickier. I think I need to go back and read the manga over this part, because I can't remember how Luffy, Robin, Franky, Tashigi, Smoker, and Law escape from this, or what Caesar actually did to make them all faint.

Vilo159 wrote: Also, I guess I'm gonna have to learn to like the sub now. Funimation doesn't have any dubs past episode 13, it seems. Which stinks, because I really liked the voice actors in the dub, and I like the opening theme better in english. Oh well. -___-
I thought I responded to this before. D: Sorry about that!
Funimation has the dub up to like, episode 188 or something here on their One Piece official site: http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx (under the video selection, click on "dub only" and then "show order")
goldenspines

Postby Vilo159 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:43 am

goldenspines wrote: I thought I responded to this before. D: Sorry about that!
Funimation has the dub up to like, episode 188 or something here on their One Piece official site: http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx (under the video selection, click on "dub only" and then "show order")

It's alright. I've watched enough of the sub now that I enjoy it just as much, so I think I'll just stick with it. Thanks, though!
Vilo159

Postby Mullet Death » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:09 am

I probably not going to spend much time in this thread, BECAUSE One Piece ties with a few others as my favorite anime- indeed, my favorite anything- and I'm only caught up with the show to the point where Funimation has the legal rights to stream up to the episode gap (up to season 5 of the American release.) I don't want any more spoilers, I've already had my fill of those. :(

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Mullet Death » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:41 pm

So rightstuf sent me an email confirming they just shipped me the next One Piece DVD Voyage early. AWWWWW YEEEAH. CANNOT WAIT. It's a good thing Funimation releases the episodes in Voyages. If the rest of the show were available, I'd likely buy all of it at once and ask off at my job to marathon it.

Mullet Death

Postby goldenspines » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:22 am

Eep, I keep forgetting to update this thread. D:

Happy to hear about your marathoning plans, MulletDeath. Funi's DVD releases are almost to my favorite part (the end of the Water 7 arc)!

In other news, in case you haven't heard yet, Funi apparently has apparently been doing more stuff right and got the license for the One Piece movie Strong World and the release date will be in November (source)
I'm super stoked for this since Strong World is by far one of the best OP movies~

Now, onto the most recent Japanese episodes released. I'll keep most of it in spoilers for the sake of people catching up.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: We are still at Punk Hazard, naturally. Shinokuni has been released and our heroes are inside. I'm finding that I can't remember a lot of the stuff in this arc from the manga. I must have been asleep or something. >_> But a part I did remember was in the most recent episode. Caesar Clown tries to trap everyone in the A building, but while most of the people get through, there are some marines that don't make it. And Tashigi, like a champ, stays behind trying to get as many marines to safety, but her men actually toss her through the door before it closes and just that scene, when they are all encased in ash/whatever, with thumbs up, looking all happy that they saved their captain.... ;o;

Anyway, the show is great, as always. The manga is also going good as well, but it seems like this arc is going slow (maybe that's because I'm caught up and have to wait for a chapter every week).
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Exciting stuff in the recent chapters, though. Like Law being in a bind with the guy who can create freaking sinkholes in the ground (or wait, did he actually create a meteor?). Then there's the lady that turns people/things into toys (have to admit, the Sunny Go doesn't look too terrible in toy form. But seeing Nami has a toy reminds me of that time when she battled the CP9 lady who made her all jelly-like. O_O).
It's a nice change of pace to see Usopp and Robin teamed up (sort of XD) for this arc. Finally, Usopp will get his wish of having tons of followers (small as they may be).
Not seeing much of Zoro this arc besides him being lost and finding a little friend.
And I'm not sure what to think about Violet and Sanji. She helped him escape (after tricking him)...but I dunno, I'm still suspicious. D:
And Lucy and Ucy make a great team. : D
goldenspines

Postby GeneD » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:10 am

I watched 2 random episodes of One Piece at a con a while ago. I had no idea what was going on and I'm not sure if any of this counts as spoilers so I'll tag it anyway. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: There were pink jelly/gas-exploding creatures and a villain with a long white coat, which I think was made from gas, and a really strange laugh that I'll have to look up again to describe properly. Some of the characters seemed to have swapped bodies, the orange-haired chick was speaking with a man's voice. Oh and there was a samurai whose body parts they were collecting to put him back together. ^__^
GeneD

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:00 pm

While I think this arc is going a little slow, I'm not sure it's slower than usual. The characters have split up more than normal, though, which creates a similar effect (or it's possible this really does use up more chapters).
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm interested in the tournament and Law being betrayed. Everything else is meh as far as I'm concerned.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mullet Death » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:20 am

So I bought One Piece Film Z: Greatest Armored Edition on amazon.jp the other day. I'm not caught up with the series so it would be major spoilers. Therefore, I'm going to try and get the manga volumes to catch up so my friend and I can watch it along with Strong World, which I'm also gonna import (along with all of the other movies eventually.) SO. FREAKING. STOKED. The problem being that rightstuf doesn't have half the volumes I'm gonna need (I would need up to Volume 53, and then I can watch from episode 391 on Hulu+) in stock (they're in the "More Arriving Soon" status) so I don't know how long I'm going to have to be waiting. Could be several weeks. :waah!: :waah!: :waah!:

TL;DR: Importing One Piece Film Z and Strong World on blu-ray, can't wait to get the chance to watch.

Mullet Death

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews