Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Anime Recommendations Thread

Postby LastLfan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:50 pm

I'm gonna throw out blue explorcist as well, i haven't finished yet so not sure about how great the overall plot is but it is pretty good so far, it does have a dub...funfact-the main character in blue exorcist also voices the main character in the sword art online dub.
LastLfan

Postby Zeke365 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:58 am

I decided to update my list and here it is.

1. .hack//Quantum
2. .Hack//Sign
3. 5 Centimeters Per Second (currently watching)
4. Ah! My Goddess (currently watching)
5. Air (TV) + movie
6. Angelic Layer
7. Azumanga Daioh (almost finished)
8. Chobits
9. Clannad
10. Clannad After Story
11. Daily Lives of High School Boys
12. D.N. Angel
13. Eden of the East
14. ef - A Tale of Memories
15. Fruits Basket
16. Hikaru no Go (currently watching)
17. K-On! (Currently watching season 2)
18. Last Exile
19. Lucky Star
20. Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
21. Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
22. Noein: To Your Other Self
23. Now and Then, Here and There
24. Ouran High School Host Club
25. Ponyo
26. Sonic X
27. Spice and Wolf (currently watching)
28. Spirited Away
29. Summer Wars
30. Toradora! (currently watching)
31. Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
32. Nagasarete Airantou
33. My Neighbor Totoro
34. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
35. Howl’s Moving Castle
36. Tales from Earthesa
37. The Secret World Of Arrietty
38. The Cat Returns
39. Princess Mononoke
40.Pita ten (currently watching)
41.Stitch! (Currently watching)
42. Mario movie
43. Animal Crossing movie
44. One piece
45. Sgt. Frog

Based on this I liking the slice of life anime. I looking for anime that has comedy, slice of life, prefer dubbed, and in the Pg-13 range with no magic, minimal language.
Zeke365

Postby drill » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:53 am

^Not sure, but you might like:

Kanon (2006)
Non Non Biyori
Acchi Kocchi
Tsuritama
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!

Honestly, I can't guarantee that any of them are dubbed since I only watch subs... but if I remember correctly I think all but Acchi Kocchi is dubbed.
drill

Postby Zeke365 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:49 pm

seen Kanon (2006)
Zeke365

Postby KazeShiki » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:27 am

Silver Spoon
Minami-Ke (4 seasons, degree of quality varies heavily between them)
A-Channel, depending how much you like K-ON.
Not sol/comedy but Shion no Ou if you end up enjoying Hikaru no Go.

I also second Non Non Biyori.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:08 pm

I'm also for Silver Spoon (sub only), Tsuritama (has a dub), and Non Non Biyori (sub only). I also suggest Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun (sub only), Sakamichi no Apollon (has a dub), and Ano Hana (sub only). Also The Garden of Words (I think it has a dub). Hope this helps! :n_n:
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby LastLfan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Hey guys, a friend of mine have been discussing anime lately and the long and short of it is she doesn't like anime because they are too dumb for her, but she said if i can find an intellectual anime she'll give it another go round, which leads me to being here, I personally have seen death note and one outs which are both great examples, can you guys think of others that have very little to no fanservice(dub if possible)?
LastLfan

Postby Falx » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:34 pm

Serial Experiments Lain
Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey

You can't really get any more cerebral and deep than those.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby KazeShiki » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:29 am

I've found people who talk about wanting to watch "intellectual anime" pretty much universally love Serial Experiments Lain. Ergo Proxy is a close second. Texhnolyze is kind of hit or miss but if it hits, they love that too. Most things by Satoshi Kon are well received though not as guaranteed.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby faithb4sight » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:35 pm

I agree on Fairy Tail - if you have a Funimation account they have more dubs available right now than Netflix does. Many fight scenes (they're distinguishable from each other, not copy-and-paste boring). Interesting plots that continue to loop back to each other to make a well-though-out story. Tons of characters who are well-rounded and easy to love... Oh, and humor! One of my top anime pics thus far (though currently still behind FMA).
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby faithb4sight » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:29 pm

LastLfan wrote:I'm gonna throw out blue explorcist as well, i haven't finished yet so not sure about how great the overall plot is but it is pretty good so far, it does have a dub...funfact-the main character in blue exorcist also voices the main character in the sword art online dub.

Blue Exorcist was pretty good, but the ending leaves something to be desired. That said, I haven't seen the movie yet. The characters are great! Theological elements are worth mentioning, though, if anyone is considering watching it. Oh and there is random, mild swearing. Proceed with caution.

Funfact #2 - the twin of the main character (named Yukio) has an interesting dub voice as well. He use to be a Power Ranger back in the 90's. :)
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby FCU777 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:43 pm

I have been browsing through various animes, and I would recommend the following (5 of them which I watched):

-Superbook
-The Flying House
-My Last Day
-Yowamushi Pedal
-Machine Robo Rescue
-Agatha Christie's Great Detectives Poirot and Marple

They are really good.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. ~ Philippians 4:13
FCU777

Postby LastLfan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Yep he played adam, and rin's voice actor's father played rito revolto in the original mmpr. Man its amazing to see what voice actors have been on different shows. An thanks for the show reccomendatioms guys
LastLfan

Postby GeneD » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:45 am

According to MAL I've completed 199 anime titles, so I need to watch something epic to celebrate reaching number 200 (or maybe I'll just go bake another cake). I can't think of anything in particular though, so recommend me something good, preferably a movie or OVA, a short series is also alright.
GeneD

Postby KazeShiki » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:29 am

I wish more people would watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes but that's pretty long so...

1st Nanoha Movie - personal favorite. I think it qualifies for epic magical girls.
Do You Remember Love? - old but great classic sci-fi
Perfect Blue - contains some very mature content but honestly has some of the best directing in anime I've ever seen.
Denpa Teki Na Kanojo - also has mature content but an intriguing OVA series I wish there was more of.
Gunbuster/Diebuster - Gunbuster is more for the sci-fi whereas Diebuster is more over-the-top action but Diebuster's ending is absolutely perfect to the series.
KazeShiki

Postby LastLfan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:46 pm

Okay here's a tough one. I want to find an anime that takes places in an unusual time period. Such as the amercan revolution. Or the industrial revolution or even feudal japan, anything except medieval or fantasy or si-fi settinhs
LastLfan

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:29 pm

You might want to give Rurouni Kenshin a shot.
It's basically about this samurai who killed people during a war and is trying to find atonement by helping others.
(I don't think falls under sci-fi, medieval, or fantasy)
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:46 pm

Alright, going to respond to both GeneD and LastLfan here. :)

First, @GeneD: LOL, I'd say the same thing about LOGH as KazeShiki, so I'd definitely still recommend it, just not for your 200th series. ;) As for that, since you want something shorter... *takes a look at shared anime*... hmm, let's see: There's the From Up On Poppy Hill movie, the Ocean Waves movie, the Night On The Galactic Railroad movie, the Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 series (11 ep.'s), the two ef series (Memories is the first, Melodies is the second, and both are 12 ep.'s each), and the other two seasons of Natsume you haven't seen yet (13 ep.'s each). :) Oh, and also the Seirei no Moribito and Noein series, but they're 26 and 24 ep.'s respectively, so... whether that counts as short or not is up to you. :)

And second, @LastLfan: If you haven't watched it already (and as long as you can handle violence), it sounds like you're in desperate need of Baccano! ;) It's a fantastic series set in America in the 1930's (with a few flashbacks to the 1700's, as well). And if you don't mind something without action, I'd also recommend Mushishi (and the OVA special, and the second season which is set to start this week, once you're done with season one :) )-- it's set in a historical period in Japan, and it's basically about this guy who wanders around and helps (or at least tries to, as best he can) people with their problems with Mushi, a fictitious, partially supernatural (though still rather scientific at its core) form of life.
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby LastLfan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:43 am

Thanks guys
LastLfan

Postby GeneD » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:25 am

@KazeShiki and MangaRocks:

I assure you Legend of the Galactic Heroes is happening in the (near) future, but not just yet.

I had actually considered Perfect Blue (since I have history with that movie) or more Natsume (since I love it already anyway), but then today I remembered that I still haven't watched Giant Robo, which according to some parts of CAA is the best thing since sliced bread, so I'll be going with that. (Unless I change my mind again before actually starting to watch of course.)

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions, I've added a couple of them to my To-watch list and might later come back again for more.
GeneD

Postby twistedfairytale45 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:55 pm

So I want to watch Nichijou(My Ordinary Life) but I'm not sure if it's clean because this website doesn't have a review for it. It looks okay but I know that looks can be decieving.

Things I'm okay with:
Violence(though this show doesn't look to be that type XD)
Some Cussing(not a whole lot but I'm used to a fair amount if it)

Things I'm not okay with:
yoai(gay), yuri(lesbian), and sex
overload of gore(limbs flying, rediculous amounts of blood-gushing wounds)
overload of cussing(an episode or two with the F word is okay, but cussing every five minutes is too much)
Dubs(I watched one show that was Dubbed and know that I would've enjoyed it more if it had been Subbed)

So that's about it with my list. Also if you have any other recommendations for a good show that fits into what I'm okay with, please tell me! ;)
"You can keep walking, or turn back, or take a different road." -Elliot Nightray
"What's left in the end..is not always what you wish for!" - Xerxes Break
twistedfairytale45

Postby goldenspines » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:33 am

Nichijou is a great series! And it's very clean content wise. One thing to be noted about Nichijou is that its humor relies fairly heavily on Japanese culture (I had a Japanese friend who thought this series was more hilarious that I did. XD; ), so keep that in mind as you watch and you'll probably learn a lot about Japan!
You'll also see stuff relating to Shinto and Buddhism on occasion. It's not prevalent, but something to be aware of.

That being said, there might be a deal breaker for you in the series (I'll let you decide). One of the main characters in Nichijou is an aspiring mangaka. She's very secretive about this because one, wanting to be a mangaka is like a foolish pipe dream in Japan (like the old "you'll never make any money at that!"), and two, she draws yaoi doujin.
Now, nothing bad is shown in her drawings beyond half naked men and flowers everywhere and the whole thing is portrayed in a humorous way (especially one scene where she's taking her manuscript to a publisher and has a super nervous "jumping to conclusions" encounter with her friend, a policeman, and a goat), but I find this particular element of the story can blindside people if they aren't aware of this part of Japanese cultue.
In Japan, most mangaka involved in the doujin (fan comic) culture tend to create yaoi more than much else.
This part is only one of the many mini stories in Nichijou. There's nothing beyond that in terms of yaoi or yuri, though.

Oh, and Nichijou is subbed. XD It's one of the few series I can't imagine ever being dubbed since it relies too heavily on Japanese culture and language for its humor.

Out of curiosity, which anime did you see dubbed that you didn't enjoy? I usually watch subs (for a variety of reasons), but I enjoy quite a few dubs that companies have done right (aka: not old dubs).
goldenspines

Postby nillapoet » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:49 pm

I think I'm going to get a roku so I can get the funimation app. But until then what's good on netflix right now? I've really enjoyed Fairy Tail and SAO.
nillapoet

Postby faithb4sight » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:06 pm

@nillapoet

Ah Netflix - they do have some good anime series up right now. I -personally- recommend you check the CAA review section before starting some of these, as many have questionable content. I'm not sure what your preferences are...

Comedy/Action: Fullmetal Alchemist, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood are excellent, IMO. Not all of the Brotherhood episodes are on Netflix - but Funimation has the rest. They have D. Gray Man but know that it ends in an weird way (I think they discontinued the series). Soul Eater is good, too.

For less serious comedy: Ouran High School Host Club is fantastic! Pokémon (the first and 10th seasons), and 2 or 3 seasons of Digimon are available.

For shoujo picks (if you're interested) you can check out Princess Jellyfish or Spice and Wolf.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica was something I really enjoyed, too (it's dark for a magical-girl anime, though).

I highly recommend a Roku. They have an HD option on many of the series on Funimation so the quality is great on my tv. Plus they have both subs and dubs on Funimation - and you can watch many series on the Roku without a paid Funimation subscription. PLUS Funimation has a lot more episode of Fairy Tail as compared to Netflix. Bonus: you can download the Crunchyroll app on the Roku as well.

I have the regular Roku 1 and it works perfectly - they do have upgraded options now if you want something fancier (though price will go up, too).
faithb4sight

Postby nillapoet » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:23 am

Thanks faithb4sight. Both Fullmetal Alchemists are on the need to watch list. The rest sound like I might have to check them out.

One thing I heard was that after episode 86 of Fairy Tail the voice actors changed. Anyone know if that's true? I haven't gotten that far yet.
nillapoet

Postby faithb4sight » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:57 pm

@ nillapoet
I haven't watched that far in subs, but dub-wise the VA's remain the same.
faithb4sight

Postby black & white angel » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Can anyone give me some info of the content in these anime. Attack on titan,Death note,rurouni kenshin, and bleach. I would also appreciate some recommendations. I don't mind some mild language,I don't really like fanservice but I can tolerate some. thank's ^_^
I make it a policy not to second-guess my instincts. Life's more fun that way. ~Train Heartnet
black & white angel

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:41 am

@B&W Angel

I've only seen Attack on Titan and Death Note so here's my content rundown of those two.

Attack on Titan: Mostly just violent. It's very intense with blood and some grotesque and potentially disturbing imagery. Language never gets any stronger than the s word or bs but that's if you watch on crunchyroll. Fansubs on other sites are usually far worse with language. There's an eng dub coming out but I don't know how the language in that fairs. That's pretty much it.

Death Note: This one's dark and very intense too (same director). It has some violence and blood but it's mostly suspenseful. Lots of death (obviously) and mild language. There's one scene where a girl is asked to undress (for a safety precaution to make sure she doesn't have anything on her ). All that's shown is her in her bra and underwear and afterwards when she's wrapped in a blanket. Another girl likes to be super cutesy/flirty with guys and wears some revealing outfits a few times. Also this is about death gods and a guy who wants to become 'god of a new world'. Though the story doesn't support him and there are plenty of people fighting against him. That's pretty much it on that.

As far as suggestions, what exactly are you looking for? Action? Romance? Comedy? If action, I'd suggest the FMA and FMA: Brotherhood animes and Soul Eater. Romance, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (My Little Monster), Princess Tutu (which isn't as girly as it seems), and Clannad/Clannad After Story. Comedy, The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, Silver Spoon (by Hiromu Arakawa of Fullmetal Alchemist fame), and Princess Jellyfish (if you don't mind a straight crossdresser). I have more if you'd like. :)
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby black & white angel » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:56 am

I mainly like action and comedy, I like romance if it's not to girly.And yes I would love more recommendations ^_^
I make it a policy not to second-guess my instincts. Life's more fun that way. ~Train Heartnet
black & white angel

Postby EventualDay » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:43 am

Aside from Attack on Titan and Death Note, I only read the manga for Rurouni Kenshin. I think the manga is brilliant and wonderfully written; the anime I've heard is pretty good too. There's quite a lot of violence but it shouldn't be classified as gory. In the manga, I remember that there are two minor characters in love with a villain: one cross-dressing man, and a woman who shows her shoulders and a little cleavage. I wasn't super bothered by it. Otherwise, the anime I've heard has an arc with a 'Christian' character, although how well he is portrayed is a subject of discussion.

Recommendations, hm? Seconding FMA because about everybody likes FMA, haha. Also Princess Tutu, which is based on quite a few fairytales and ballets, and gets progressively darker and more interesting as the series goes on. As for other recs, maybe you would like Gokusen or Angel Beats! A little different than what you're watching now, but they might catch your interest.
EventualDay

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews