Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Anime Recommendations Thread

Postby black & white angel » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:14 pm

EventualDay wrote:Aside from Attack on Titan and Death Note, I only read the manga for Rurouni Kenshin. I think the manga is brilliant and wonderfully written; the anime I've heard is pretty good too. There's quite a lot of violence but it shouldn't be classified as gory. In the manga, I remember that there are two minor characters in love with a villain: one cross-dressing man, and a woman who shows her shoulders and a little cleavage. I wasn't super bothered by it. Otherwise, the anime I've heard has an arc with a 'Christian' character, although how well he is portrayed is a subject of discussion.

Recommendations, hm? Seconding FMA because about everybody likes FMA, haha. Also Princess Tutu, which is based on quite a few fairytales and ballets, and gets progressively darker and more interesting as the series goes on. As for other recs, maybe you would like Gokusen or Angel Beats! A little different than what you're watching now, but they might catch your interest.

What is Gokusen and Angel Beats about?
I make it a policy not to second-guess my instincts. Life's more fun that way. ~Train Heartnet
black & white angel

Postby faithb4sight » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:12 pm

black & white angel wrote:I mainly like action and comedy, I like romance if it's not to girly.And yes I would love more recommendations ^_^

I second PLCDreamcatcher14 with FMA, FMA: Brotherhood, and Soul Eater.

Soul Eater does have some language issues and girls who dress *very* scantily at times. Major parts are always covered by something or another.

FMA has fewer issues with nudity (maybe one or two scenes in Brotherhood with a girl in a tub?). I can't remember if the original FMA had any issues with that. For language, one lead character likes to say the d-word in both versions.

I also would say Fairy Tail has a lot of action/comedy. The series has some fanservice (moreso later in the series) but again, the important parts are covered.

You can check out the CAA review section for more info on these series. http://www.christiananime.net/reviews/caareviews.php?pageid=AnimeReviews
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby black & white angel » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:25 pm

faithb4sight wrote:
black & white angel wrote:I mainly like action and comedy, I like romance if it's not to girly.And yes I would love more recommendations ^_^

Soul Eater does have some language issues and girls who dress *very* scantily at times. Major parts are always covered by something or another.

FMA has fewer issues with nudity (maybe one or two scenes in Brotherhood with a girl in a tub?). I can't remember if the original FMA had any issues with that. For language, one lead character likes to say the d-word in both versions.

I also would say Fairy Tail has a lot of action/comedy. The series has some fanservice (moreso later in the series) but again, the important parts are covered.

You can check out the CAA review section for more info on these series. http://www.christiananime.net/reviews/caareviews.php?pageid=AnimeReviews

Fairy Tail sounds really good I'll check it out.Thank's
I make it a policy not to second-guess my instincts. Life's more fun that way. ~Train Heartnet
black & white angel

Postby nillapoet » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:18 pm

black & white angel wrote:
faithb4sight wrote:

Fairy Tail sounds really good I'll check it out.Thank's

I just started on the second season and have thoroughly enjoyed it so far.
nillapoet

Postby EventualDay » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:22 pm

Gokusen is about a female yakuza who becomes a high school teacher. Comedy is definitely one of the strong points, and there's a little bit of romance on the side. It's not dark, practically at all, but I always found the gang-fights and yakuza interactions to be tremendously entertaining. (That's probably where most of your action is going to be.) It's not too offensive either, though it's implied that a student has a crush on his teacher. I don't remember a lot of questionable content since the anime is so short; a few of the other teachers are weird or may seem mildly perverted, but it's mostly done for comedy. Also, the drama is more popular than the anime but I'm not sure if you're into that (or if this will even suit your tastes).

Angel Beats! takes place in something like purgatory. The students are trying to fight against God because of their unfair deaths--the only real questionable content. Ultimately I thought it was handled well and that it really got at an emotional truth about 'justice' in life. If you're okay with this, the writing is pretty intelligent and there is a sufficient amount of action, comedy, and romance.
EventualDay

Postby black & white angel » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:36 pm

EventualDay wrote:Gokusen is about a female yakuza who becomes a high school teacher. Comedy is definitely one of the strong points, and there's a little bit of romance on the side. It's not dark, practically at all, but I always found the gang-fights and yakuza interactions to be tremendously entertaining. (That's probably where most of your action is going to be.) It's not too offensive either, though it's implied that a student has a crush on his teacher. I don't remember a lot of questionable content since the anime is so short; a few of the other teachers are weird or may seem mildly perverted, but it's mostly done for comedy. Also, the drama is more popular than the anime but I'm not sure if you're into that (or if this will even suit your tastes).

Angel Beats! takes place in something like purgatory. The students are trying to fight against God because of their unfair deaths--the only real questionable content. Ultimately I thought it was handled well and that it really got at an emotional truth about 'justice' in life. If you're okay with this, the writing is pretty intelligent and there is a sufficient amount of action, comedy, and romance.

Thank's those both sound interesting. ^_^
black & white angel

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Well, a couple of us already said this in the manga thread, but I would recommend Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. IMO it's a must-watch, as soon as humanly possible. A good action/comedy would also be Legend of the Legendary Heroes.

Also, I feel weird and out of place being on the other end of this, but can anybody recommend good action comedies? I'm too lazy to go into what I will or won't put up with, so I'll give you lots of cookies and lemonade if you just throw out a general content review for them. Thanks a bunch, peeps.

*doesn't already have waaaay too much going on to watch more anime*
Last edited by ClaecElric4God on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby black & white angel » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:49 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:Well, a couple of us already said this in the manga thread, but I would recommend Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. IMO it's a must-watch, as soon as humanly possible. A good action/comedy would also be Legend of the Legendary Heroes.

Should I read the manga for tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles first or watch the anime? or does it matter?
Last edited by black & white angel on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
black & white angel

Postby faithb4sight » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:18 pm

black & white angel wrote:Should I read the manga for tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles fist or watch the anime? or does it matter?

TRC really is a great series - both anime and manga. I would recommend the anime first. After awhile it branches off from the manga, much like the original Fullmetal Alchemist, so you'll still have surprises (so many!) awaiting you in the manga.

In my experience, most mangas beat their respective animes so it's usually good to start with the anime first (i.e. Fruits Basket) otherwise you may not appreciate the anime for what it is. ~ But that's just my humble opinion. And there are, naturally, exceptions to this "rule" (i.e. Princess TuTu).
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:27 pm

Yeah, what faith said. I would definitely suggest watching the anime first.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby black & white angel » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:11 am

Ok great thank's . ^_^
black & white angel

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:07 pm

Completely agree with Faith and Claec.
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby faithb4sight » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:29 pm

@black & white angel
xxxholic and Tsubasa are very tied-together (especially the mangas!) so you way want to check into that series as well.

Yay I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks TRC is best watched before read :D
faithb4sight

Postby black & white angel » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:41 am

faithb4sight wrote:@black & white angel
xxxholic and Tsubasa are very tied-together (especially the mangas!) so you way want to check into that series as well.

Yay I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks TRC is best watched before read :D

Anything I need to worry about content wise with xxxholic ?
black & white angel

Postby faithb4sight » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:36 am

black & white angel wrote:Anything I need to worry about content wise with xxxholic ?

mmm not that I remember, but it's been awhile... It's a little darker than Tsubasa as it deals a lot with spirits, etc. Oh and Yuko (she was the one in Tsubasa who gave Mokona to Syaoran and co.) tends to wear very low-cut tops.
faithb4sight

Postby black & white angel » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:52 pm

faithb4sight wrote:
black & white angel wrote:Anything I need to worry about content wise with xxxholic ?

mmm not that I remember, but it's been awhile... It's a little darker than Tsubasa as it deals a lot with spirits, etc. Oh and Yuko (she was the one in Tsubasa who gave Mokona to Syaoran and co.) tends to wear very low-cut tops.

Great thank's, So... when I say the title do I say the x 3 times or just 1 time, or is it just holic? (sorry if this is a stupid question, it just sounds weird saying x three times :sweat: )
black & white angel

Postby faithb4sight » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:40 pm

black & white angel wrote:Great thank's, So... when I say the title do I say the x 3 times or just 1 time, or is it just holic? (sorry if this is a stupid question, it just sounds weird saying x three times :sweat: )

Not a stupid question! I was likewise confused when I started the series.

I call it (and I believe this to be correct) just "holic" - the xxx's represent the obsession of the people coming to Yuko's shop for help - so you can fill in the blank (or the xxx's) with whatever obsession the person is dealing with.
faithb4sight

Postby black & white angel » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:55 pm

faithb4sight wrote:
black & white angel wrote:Great thank's, So... when I say the title do I say the x 3 times or just 1 time, or is it just holic? (sorry if this is a stupid question, it just sounds weird saying x three times :sweat: )

I call it (and I believe this to be correct) just "holic" - the xxx's represent the obsession of the people coming to Yuko's shop for help - so you can fill in the blank (or the xxx's) with whatever obsession the person is dealing with.

Thank you!!! The title actually makes sense now. XD
black & white angel

Postby black & white angel » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:18 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote: A good action/comedy would also be Legend of the Legendary Heroes.

Any content issues? language nudity? I couldn't find the age rating
black & white angel

Postby skreyola » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:55 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote: A good action/comedy would also be Legend of the Legendary Heroes

If I recall correctly, there's a fair amount of violence, and people making pacts with spirits for their powers. I hope I'm not confusing it with another show.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby black & white angel » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:12 pm

skreyola wrote:
ClaecElric4God wrote: A good action/comedy would also be Legend of the Legendary Heroes

If I recall correctly, there's a fair amount of violence, and people making pacts with spirits for their powers. I hope I'm not confusing it with another show.

Great thank you ^_^
black & white angel

Postby black & white angel » Fri May 02, 2014 7:24 pm

Can anyone tell me the content of. Jin-Roh the wolf brigade.Does it have any bad language or nudity?
black & white angel

Postby DaughterOfZion » Fri May 02, 2014 10:17 pm

Uh, considering a girl blows herself up in the first like, 15 minutes of the film, (Not a spoiler, it's on the back of the DVD case) Jin-Roh is really violent and gory. It also relies on the early "Rotkappchen" rather than the nice and happy "Red Riding Hood" and uses the incredibly morbid fairytale as the backbone of the film making it a really dark movie. No swearing or nudity but there are bigger issues if you're worried about "content".
DaughterOfZion

Postby black & white angel » Sat May 03, 2014 8:03 am

DaughterOfZion wrote:Uh, considering a girl blows herself up in the first like, 15 minutes of the film, (Not a spoiler, it's on the back of the DVD case) Jin-Roh is really violent and gory. It also relies on the early "Rotkappchen" rather than the nice and happy "Red Riding Hood" and uses the incredibly morbid fairytale as the backbone of the film making it a really dark movie. No swearing or nudity but there are bigger issues if you're worried about "content".
I've heard it's really good so I'll probably check it out then.thank's for the info.
black & white angel

Postby nillapoet » Thu May 08, 2014 5:28 pm

faithb4sight wrote:

FWIW, on the Fairy Tail commentary they called it triple x holic.
nillapoet

Postby skreyola » Thu May 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Everywhere else I've seen it mentioned, it's specified as being pronounced "Holic".
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Kilvakar » Wed May 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Greetings! I like a variety of anime, but my favorites are:

Action-Type Anime:

Bleach
Fairy Tail
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Avatar: The Last Airbender (Don't know if that counts, but it's sort of an anime...)
The GetBackers

Non-Action Anime:

Chobits
Spiral

Anyone got any good recommendations?
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby KazeShiki » Thu May 22, 2014 3:57 am

Hunter x Hunter for sure. Obligatory One Piece rec. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) because Goldy is rubbing off on me.

It's really hard to accurately rec anything off only that list, which is mostly mainstream, without giving any other preferences, but I'm going to say Shion no Ou might suit you.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby faithb4sight » Thu May 22, 2014 9:55 am

@Kilvakar

Hmm maybe Sword Art Online or Inuyasha for action-ish. You'd probably like Black Cat or D.N. Angel as well. Check the review section for it, but Blue Exorcist is pretty good~
And you might be interested in Save Me! Lollipop. Reminds me a bit of Avatar:TLA (which is totally awesome, btw :) )
faithb4sight

Postby Kilvakar » Sat May 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Yeah, I know I haven't really watched a lot of the lesser-known animes, but that's why I'm trying to get recs. I want to "branch out" a bit, so any ideas are fine. I was thinking about what it was that I really liked about the series I put on the list, and I guess I have a few main things that I enjoy when watching action-type anime:

1: Interesting characters. I have to be able to get into the characters, their motivations, and their development. I don't like "dark" or "anti-hero" characters.
2: Camaraderie. I know that in some series (ie Fairy Tail) the whole "power of friendship" thing can be overused, but I really enjoy some of those moments.
3: Awesomeness! Epic bad guy beat-downs, awesome entrances, and general feel-good moments where good triumphs over evil without the good guys getting killed or making devastating sacrifices in the process. (I hate anticlimactic endings!)

As a footnote, I've started watching Soul Eater, and I like it so far. I've thought about checking out One Piece many times, but the way everyone looks is so...:wow!:

For non-action series, I guess it can vary a lot. I like the mystery and intrigue of Spiral, and while there were some things that I hated about Chobits (too many porn jokes!) I really like how sweet a love story it was, plus the main character is really endearing. I'd actually love to watch a good mystery series right now...
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews