Angelic Symbolism in Escaflowne

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Angelic Symbolism in Escaflowne

Postby Enrico Maxwell » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:19 pm

What sort of angelic symbolism do you see in Escaflowne? I don't think is accidental that they chose "angel wings" for Van and Folken.

I see Folken having a lot in common with Lucifer. He lost his arm in battle, and rather than return to his homeland maimed, he let his pride get the better of him and he turned to the enemy. Unlike Lucifer, however, Folken ultimately repented of his evil.

Van, in turn, reminds me of the archangel Michael. While he is headstrong and tends to run into battle, he always defends the weak and those he percieves to be in trouble.

Actually, the idea that Van and Folken are actually half-breeds descended from a winged race is someone reminiscent of the Nephilim as well...

Any thoughts?
Gird thy sword upon thy thigh, O most mighty, with thy glory and thy majesty. And in thy majesty ride prosperously because of truth and meekness and righteousness; and thy right hand shall teach thee terrible things. Psalms 45:3-4
Enrico Maxwell

Postby Technomancer » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:47 am

I apologize for the verbosity of this reply. Please note, there are some spoliers here, though I have tried to minimize them.

I don't really see that any angelic qualities can be attributed to either Van or Folken beyond the obvious superficial resemblances. It must be remembered that the Fanel family was supposed to have been descended from the Atlanteans, a highly adavanced civilzation. The wings of the Atlanteans don't seem to be anymore than an attempt to emphasize their degree of civilization, apparent wisdom, and benevolence (less than gods, and more than men as it were). It also serves to highlight the degree to which their hubris has destroyed them (not without later parallels in the storyline, or for own modern age).

As for Van, much of his character could simply be assigned to the rashness of youth, his need to prove himself worthy of the crown, and later, his desire to avenge the burning of Fanelia. Then again, the story of the rash young hero needing to be tempered by experience is probably universal. I'm not sure how you came to your conclusions about Michael's character though. The only archangel who is involved at length in any bible story is Raphael in Tobit, and even then not much is given away as to his character.

Folken is more interesting, and I think this is where your analogy really falls apart. Falken and Dornkirk's war isn't a rebellion against heaven in any fashion, but rather, is based in ideology. Their ultimate *goals* are perhaps laudable, but the methods used to acieve this "ideal future" are reprehensible, and their system is ultimately flawed anyways. Falken only begins to realize this after Dornkirk's rather casual sacrifice of the Leopard twins. Seen in this light, their role in the story bears more resemblance to the various failed utopianist schemes to have emerged in modern times, from the Jacobins to the Khmer Rouge.

The only part of the series that I can see being stretched to cover an explicity Christian viewpoint is Dornkirk's "wish field", which could be taken as a statement on the nature of original sin (though I doubt this was the author's intention).
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Stephen » Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:29 pm

I did not read most these posts after I saw, spoilers below...what we have Spoiler tags here for...is so people can get the general idea of what you are saying without having things spoiled...please use the tags. Thank you
Stephen

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews