January 07 Coloring contest

Win the competitions and get free cookies! (sorry for lame description, perhaps Ink can come up with a better one)

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:30 pm

soul alive wrote:XD The architecture color wheel has blue - blue/purple - purple - red/purple - red - red/yellow - yellow - yellow/green - green - blue/green. No orange or red/orange or yellow/orange. Frustrated me to no end in my first year of college.

More off topic:
Speaking of teaching art classes - it might be fun to feature an artist each month who has a technique that others would like to learn - ie. inking style, cel shading, pencils - and they do a tutorial and answer additional questions, and everyone shows off a project they did using said technique...
Just a thought.

Ohh.... that sounds cool

You should totally start this!.... I would do it like this...

Start a thread this month announcing the Idea. In the thread ask for a group of artists who would like to participate. Also get people to give ideas of things they want help on (anatomy, hands, inking, colored pencils, digital colouring... and so forth) and specific artists they would like to cover it!

Then maybe like every other month start a thread with a given topic and ANYBODY can give their Ideas and share how they approach the topic but there will be a specific artist who will be the Spotlight artist on that topic.

after about 8 months or so start gathering all the best tutorials and such into a website so anyone can go back and review it all!

I know I would be willing to give my input in once and a while and maybe even be the spotlight artist if a group wanted to know how I did something specifically...

*gets shot for being the current facilitator of this contest and getting so off topic*
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby soul alive » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:59 pm

Sorry to continue the off-topicness - but the dA CAA club might be a great place to put up the collected tutorials. *runs off to make a thread*
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:04 pm

soul alive wrote:Sorry to continue the off-topicness - but the dA CAA club might be a great place to put up the collected tutorials. *runs off to make a thread*

ahh very good Idea!!

(Plz link me to thread heh)
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby CreatureArt » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:30 pm

Jaden - awesome entry! I love the look of his flaming shirt, and I agree with Vernhal in that the background makes the picture look like some sort of epic or important happening with all the burst of light.

Esoteric - its great to see you back in the colouring competition. I love your painty colours and the warm tones you've used. With the shadow and colours it makes me think of a sunset or hot summer afternoon.
Also, thanks for the tip on using purple. I managed to overhear your whispered secret and hope you don't mind if I experiment with it some time. :)

Vernhal - interesting to see your version of the colours. Thanks for such beautiful linework to colour (hopefully I'll enter this time). I like the pastel tones. ^^

Soul Alive wrote:Speaking of teaching art classes - it might be fun to feature an artist each month who has a technique that others would like to learn - ie. inking style, cel shading, pencils - and they do a tutorial and answer additional questions, and everyone shows off a project they did using said technique...
Just a thought.
Wow. I'd so be in for that. ^^ It would be such a good learning experience.

Shadowcat wrote:Good idea....Or maybe this contest backwards. O.o...Someone provides the colors, and everyone enters their form of the line art. \o.o/
I've got to admit, I'd love to see some of the entries that would originate from that sort of contest. :D

There's a DA CAA club?! @_@ I should probably go and find that place... ^^"

Oh, and no worries about the whole off-topic thing, Vernhal. That's a good idea about collecting up the tutorials into one place to share-- so many possibilities ^^.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Photosoph » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:55 pm

Finished my entry this morning. ^_^ Was a good opportunity to experiment with a block style of shading and doing light from above (though the light source ended up coming more from the top-right. :sweat: Lol!

Hope you like it. ^_^ I had fun, and I think these competitions are a good excuse to try something new and learn some things; as well as colour some gorgeous linework. =^^=
Originally I was going to make the shading on the dude full black and full white, but it looked better when I made it more transparent.

Yay monthly colouring competitions! \^^/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby Jingo Jaden » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:59 pm

O.O Linear shaaadeeeing. Well done :D
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Photosoph » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:06 pm

Thank you Jaden. ^_^ Glad you like it!
It was fun to try something a little different from what I normally do. And it was good practice as well.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:55 pm

Thats very nicelydone Psoph!

I love the shaiding on the hair... and the fact their is a canvas in the background it looks like he has been working on!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby ShadowCat » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:33 pm

ShadowCat

Postby soul alive » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:18 pm

Photosoph - Love the shading you used, sort of a mixed cell and soft shading. And the background textures are very nice, especially the canvas.

ShadowCat - I like the bright, vivid colors you used. And the tattoo detail is very cool as well.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:29 pm

Very nice shadow cat.. I love he vibrant colors! what program are you using?
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Photosoph » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:10 pm

Rofl! No problem, Anonymous. XD Just make sure not to try to do too much at once. ;) Getting over-committed can be stressful. ^_^"

Thanks people; I'm glad you liked my entry. ^^

And Shadowcat, yours looks great! Love the rainbow colours and the glowing pencils... so cool! X3
Also, I have a thing for rainbow colours... :sweat: I like them very much, yes I do. ^^ And the yellow of his hair really goes well with his purple shirt. Nice colour-complementation there.
Though I though Purple's complimentary colour was orange? o_O Either way, the hair and shirt colours go great together.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:46 pm

[quote="Photosoph"]Rofl! No problem, Anonymous. XD Just make sure not to try to do too much at once. ]
its purple/yellow and orange/blue... right?
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Photosoph » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:52 pm

I think so... and yet yellow goes so well with blue, as does purple with orange, to really compliment each other. O_O Maybe they both work...
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:13 pm

Photosoph wrote:I think so... and yet yellow goes so well with blue, as does purple with orange, to really compliment each other. O_O Maybe they both work...

well the colors next to the compliment also work as like "almost compliments"

heh colors are so wierd... but I love them stll!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Esoteric » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:44 pm

well the colors next to the compliment also work as like "almost compliments"

heh colors are so wierd... but I love them stll!

I couldn't help but overhear your conversation... There is a perfectly good explanation why Purple/Orange and Yellow/Blue go well together even though they aren't exact complements.

I'm sure you know the Primary colors are Red/Blue/Yellow. These are the 'bright and happy' colors since they are known for having that effect on people. Anybody remember Disney's Snow White? It's no coincidence she was dressed in these three colors. The Secondary colors are Purple/Green/Orange. These are somber, more moody colors.
So, I think they go well together, A. Because they are almost Complementary and, B. Because they are part of known effective tri-color schemes.
Esoteric

Postby Photosoph » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:25 pm

Yay, more art information and another explanation! :jump:
T'is all good. And interesting too. ^_^ Though I don't tend to colour pictures with that in mind... usually I just mess around with the different colours until something looks good. Though I do keep in mind 'which colour compliments what'.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:55 pm

I wanna see some more entries~

BTW did it help any of you to have the png format?? if so I may try and incorporate it more in later contests!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Esoteric » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:45 pm

Vernhal wrote:I wanna see some more entries~

BTW did it help any of you to have the png format?? if so I may try and incorporate it more in later contests!

I used the PNG format While I'm pretty used to dealing with non-separation drawings, it was certainly a nice change that affords some different tactics. Thanks!

And I agree, some more entries would be nice. ;)
Esoteric

Postby Photosoph » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:38 pm

I think the .png format could be quite useful, though like Eso I'm used to colouring drawings that haven't been 'separated'. Or rather, don't have any transparency etc. ;)

Yup, more entries would be good. Come on, people! *Waves at them furiously*
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:58 pm

Long time no see XD

Mom thought this is cute, lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby CreatureArt » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:44 pm

Wow - beautiful colouring, Shao! I love the colours and textures on the hair and shirt in particular. ^^
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Esoteric » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:32 pm

Yes, very nice, Shao! I really like the shading on the jeans! The flaming shirt is cool too.
Esoteric

Postby Photosoph » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:41 pm

Yay Shao! Another entry! :)

Very cool. The colours and designs you've used are really neat, and the background looks great too. Excellent colouring. ^^
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Jingo Jaden » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:43 pm

Woah looked really cool there :)
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:10 pm

Awesome shao!!

good to know the png format helped... I will see if I can have it for upcoming contests!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:43 pm

JPEGs can be a pain, especially with your fine line art XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby soul alive » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:32 pm

I agree, it's nice having a PNG format for the lineart. I'm going to try to get something done by the end of the month. Even with the lineart layer set on multiply, with the white background, it just doesn't work as well as transparent does.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Photosoph » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:19 pm

Hmm... I guess so. Though I'm not so sure; maybe it's something I haven't seen or experienced enough of to notice the difference. I noticed that the linework for this month was very sharp and well-done, but I just attributed that to Vernhal's lineart style.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:52 pm

So... who wins?
Shao Feng-Li

Previous Next

Return to Art Contests