January 07 Coloring contest

Win the competitions and get free cookies! (sorry for lame description, perhaps Ink can come up with a better one)

January 07 Coloring contest

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:25 pm

well its a new year so we need a new contest! ^_^

well With being back to school and just getting back from vacation I didnt really have time to track down lineart... heh so I copped out and decided to just use some of my own ^^"" sorry... I promise we will use none of my lineart for the rest of the year...

also I am giving you two formats...

the first is the .png format! I have left everything transparent except for the lineart so that when you open it in MOST digital art programs all you will have to do is put a color layer underneath the original layer. you wont have to do any extracting of the lineart.

here it is-

but I know that not all programs will work with the png format so I have also included the boring old jpg format!

here it is-

The rules are the same as always and the contest end jan 30th

so get to it!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby San_Hayashi » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:27 pm

Aww, that's an awesome picture. All I have is lil old ms paint, lol.
Heyo! I'm new here. Check out my deviantART at http://www.san-hayashi.deviantart.com
San_Hayashi

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:31 pm

Awww, cute pic, Vernhal! I'll think about joining this month, but I'd better make sure I have school under control first (not to mention I'm really looking forward to coloring these sketches that I just finished...what to do?! XD)! Anyways, good luck to all the participants! :D
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:31 pm

San_Hayashi wrote:Aww, that's an awesome picture. All I have is lil old ms paint, lol.

you could always use colored pencils or crayons though! or any other traditional mediums!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:56 pm

San_Hayashi wrote:Aww, that's an awesome picture. All I have is lil old ms paint, lol.

here are some awesome and FREE programs you can download!

http://www.photofiltre.com It's not as good as Photoshop but it's better than MSPaint

http://www.gimp.org it's almost as good as Photoshop and you can even use layerS! It's just a little more complicated to download!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Aka-chan » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:22 am

Aww, that's really cute! If I could color, I'd totally go for it. xD
Aka-chan

3 Stage work

Postby Jingo Jaden » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:40 am

Saw you had a contest again, so I will post my submition.

Loved the lineart, so I thought I should get a bit creative with that one.

I will post a 3 detail section over my work.

1 - Character when I finished that.

2- Background I made.

3 - The finished work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:48 am

KYAAAAAH Awesome jaden!! Wow you are uber fast!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Jingo Jaden » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:05 am

Awww thank you, the pants where not the easiest thing to make >_>

Jingo Jaden

Postby rii namuras » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:40 pm

(Wow! I love the lineart. I'll try to enter this month, but I'm not going to have enough time to do anything until the 21st at least... And then I'll probably have to work on stuff from the speech + debate conference I'm going to for the next two weeks. >_> But I shall see. Look for a last-minute entry.)
rii namuras

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:00 pm

WOAH... nice on jaden! it looks... epic?? hmmm cant find the right word but its awesome!

I hope you can enter rii
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby soul alive » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:02 pm

Oooh, fun - I hope I can get an entry done for this month.

Nice job Jaden - love the wild colors and textures.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Esoteric » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:03 am

You should hardly be appologizing for using your artwork, Vernhal, considering it's excellent style quality. It was enough to entice me to spend two hours coloring it. But I daresay my classicist tendencies come out in the rendition. Wait...am I speaking jibberish? I'm still not awake yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Esoteric

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:20 pm

Esoteric wrote:You should hardly be appologizing for using your artwork, Vernhal, considering it's excellent style quality. It was enough to entice me to spend two hours coloring it. But I daresay my classicist tendencies come out in the rendition. Wait...am I speaking jibberish? I'm still not awake yet.

wow thats really nice ESo...

I especially like the design on the shirt!

Well Im not entering... but I decided that I would show you guys my rendition.

here it is-

CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Photosoph » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:05 pm

Jaden: Wow... really cool textures and shading and colouring... really cool pic, my mate. ^_^ Love the way you've done the fiery effect on his shirt, and the background looks cool too. Well done! :grin: Good to see you here in this first competition of 2007. :jump:

Eso: Mwhaha! Another art contest entry from my colouring buddy Eso! ^_^
As usual, an excellent entry. Love the soft colouring and excellent cell shading. Also the purple in his hair is a nice touch... I've never done anything like that, but it looks good. Any particular reason why you used that colour there? *Is interested*

Vernhal: Wow, that's nice. Love the soft colours and shading, and the pic itself is really cute and great. X3 Makes me want to get colouring it too.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby Esoteric » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:32 pm

Also the purple in his hair is a nice touch... I've never done anything like that, but it looks good. Any particular reason why you used that colour there? *Is interested*

<.< >.> *hushed voice* Hey there coloring buddy! All right, I'll tell you a little art secret. *leans in close* Purple is your friend. *winks*

XD Okay maybe that's a little too esoteric. (no pun inten...well all right it was intended!) Purple in an excellent color to use in shading, even better than blue because of it's warm qualities (has red in it). Also, being a complentary color to orange it is excellent in shadows on flesh tones and the like. And I've noticed it gets along very well with certain primary browns. *Is tempted to spout color wheel jargon explaining why, but won't bore you with details.*
I'll admit, using pure lavendar as a hair highlight may be kinda funky, but that's kinda what I was going for.
Esoteric

Postby Photosoph » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:38 pm

That's really interesting; thanks for the tip. ^_^ Maybe I'll find an opportunity to use that technique myself. ^^
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:22 pm

Esoteric wrote:<.< >.> *hushed voice* Hey there coloring buddy! All right, I'll tell you a little art secret. *leans in close* Purple is your friend. *winks*

XD Okay maybe that's a little too esoteric. (no pun inten...well all right it was intended!) Purple in an excellent color to use in shading, even better than blue because of it's warm qualities (has red in it). Also, being a complentary color to orange it is excellent in shadows on flesh tones and the like. And I've noticed it gets along very well with certain primary browns. *Is tempted to spout color wheel jargon explaining why, but won't bore you with details.*
I'll admit, using pure lavendar as a hair highlight may be kinda funky, but that's kinda what I was going for.

KYAA I loved your entry, Eso!! ITS like...teh awesome!!! ^_^
I love the shirt design as well and I also love your shading!!

Purple is awesome to shade with! ^_^ But's isn't it's compliment yellow?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:31 pm

Woah two great entries :D Well done! :)

Jingo Jaden

Postby Souba » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:48 pm

Oh wow, these are amazing! 0.o I like what everyone has done so far, can't wait to see more. :)
God Bless,
Souba
@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~

[color="RoyalBlue"]We are not saved by the Law, but by Grace[/color]

@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~
Souba

Location: Second star to the right and straight on until morning!

Postby Esoteric » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:18 pm

ChristianRonin wrote:Purple is awesome to shade with! ^_^ But's isn't it's compliment yellow?

*Gasp!* Ahem, Well yes, technically. If you wanted to get really technical, a color most would consider purple is called blue by the color wheel snobs. In truth, orange and purple are part of the secondary color set, along with green and not exact opposites. So, good catch. However, since yellow and orange are so close together in value, purple does go extremely well with either. But I personally consider orange (or a warm goldenrod yellow) the best color to pair up with purple.
Esoteric

Postby soul alive » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:26 pm

Great entry Esoteric - love the shading and design on his tshirt.

Don't get me started on color wheels - we use one in architecture that is different from the standard one... (no orange)... :P
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Photosoph » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:42 pm

*Gasp!* Ahem, Well yes, technically. If you wanted to get really technical, a color most would consider purple is called blue by the color wheel snobs. In truth, orange and purple are part of the secondary color set, along with green and not exact opposites. So, good catch. However, since yellow and orange are so close together in value, purple does go extremely well with either. But I personally consider orange (or a warm goldenrod yellow) the best color to pair up with purple.

Very interesting.
...At school the colours of the house I was in were purple and yellow. :P

Wow... didn't know they used different colour wheels in architecture. o_O More interestingness... ness.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:33 am

Cool lineart Vernhal! I really wish I had time for the contest this month. I wouldn't worry about using your own drawings, you've definitely been trying to bring in other artists. Plus your lineart always seems to scream 'colour me!!!', your outlines are always excellent. Your coloured version for this month's looks really spiffy too ^^ And it's slightly delayed but thankyouthankyouthankyou SA for picking my entry in the December Colouring Contest!

Also, sorry I kinda dropped off the face of the CAA for a bit. My Christmas break is nearly over and I'm panicking (AHH! where did it go!?) O_O

Jaden - It's fascinating to see the different parts and you finally put them together. I really like the lighting in the final version and I like the colours that you used on the figure, they kinda remind me of Flamedramon from Digimon :jump:

Eso - So. Pretty. As always you rocked out on the shading and details front. I'm especially loving the shading on the jeans and the primary leaning colour scheme. The swirls on the shirt are a nice touch too :grin:

Also, I have concluded Eso should teach a CAA Art Class. Dude, I'd so be there *_*
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:54 am

Photosoph wrote:Very interesting.
...At school the colours of the house I was in were purple and yellow. :P

Wow... didn't know they used different colour wheels in architecture. o_O More interestingness... ness.

wow its funny! this is a coloring contest but I think this is the first time we have had a conversation on color wheels LOL

you would think that would be the first thing we would talk about!

thanks LQ I hope you can enter!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Esoteric » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:13 pm

Don't get me started on color wheels - we use one in architecture that is different from the standard one... (no orange).

That's just...just, wrong! :P
Also, I have concluded Eso should teach a CAA Art Class. Dude, I'd so be there *_*

Ooo, I can see it now; students cowering in a locked classroom as I sharpen my pencils with a razor. "You guys are gonna have soo much homework, Muwahahahaha!!!" *snaps out of day dream* Wait...on second thought, perhaps me teaching is not a good idea. XD XD
But you LQ, you're the one going to a real art school. I'd take a class from you any day!
Esoteric

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:39 pm

Ooo, I can see it now]Aww, but your class sounds like it would be so much more fun/traumatic :lol: I dunno, there's something to be said for being a wild untamed artist ^^
Don't get me started on color wheels - we use one in architecture that is different from the standard one... (no orange).
...waita minute. Architecture colour wheels have no orange? Poor blue, it's so fun to blind people when you put it and orange together. Yehehe, complementaries rock *evil laughter*
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby soul alive » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:09 pm

XD The architecture color wheel has blue - blue/purple - purple - red/purple - red - red/yellow - yellow - yellow/green - green - blue/green. No orange or red/orange or yellow/orange. Frustrated me to no end in my first year of college.

More off topic:
Speaking of teaching art classes - it might be fun to feature an artist each month who has a technique that others would like to learn - ie. inking style, cel shading, pencils - and they do a tutorial and answer additional questions, and everyone shows off a project they did using said technique...
Just a thought.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby ShadowCat » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:30 pm

Good idea....Or maybe this contest backwards. O.o...Someone provides the colors, and everyone enters their form of the line art. \o.o/
ShadowCat

Postby Photosoph » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:47 pm

More off topic:
Speaking of teaching art classes - it might be fun to feature an artist each month who has a technique that others would like to learn - ie. inking style, cel shading, pencils - and they do a tutorial and answer additional questions, and everyone shows off a project they did using said technique...
Just a thought.

That would be really cool. There are a lot of fine artists here on CAA that could teach different things that they've learned. ^^

Lol Shadowcat! XD That could work... but dang there'd be so many possibilities. o_O @_@
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Next

Return to Art Contests