December Coloring Contest

Win the competitions and get free cookies! (sorry for lame description, perhaps Ink can come up with a better one)

December Coloring Contest

Postby soul alive » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:17 pm

Since Vernhal is going to be gone for most of the month this December, he asked me to run the contest, since we will be using my lineart.

The rules are the same as always:
-You can color the lineart with whatever medium you choose
-You can resize the image and/or canvas however you like as long as you retain the original lineart.

:edit: And I almost forgot - you need to have your entry in by midnight on the 31st.

And here it is: (If you are coloring in Photoshop, I have the lineart as it's own layer, saved in a photoshop file. If you would like it in that format, PM me) Image

--

The character is my own, her name is Lia Filgham. If you want to see how I chose to color this lineart, you can see it here.

And for fun, I'll put everybody's entries up on my website.

Now good luck coloring and have fun! Can't wait to see what you all come up with.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby CreatureArt » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:47 pm

Hooray! It's the December contest all ready and rearing to go!

Great linework, SA. It looks like it will be fun to colour. I won't check out your coloured version until after I've finished mine just in case I'm unconsciously influenced (I can be bad that way) and in order to see how different my version is from yours in the end.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Jingo Jaden » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:11 pm

Hmm, wings where a bit challenging ^^

Alright, called this one rainbow guardian.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby soul alive » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:15 pm

Wow Jaden, you got done crazy fast. It looks great, I love the rainbow colors and the textures.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Jingo Jaden » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:16 pm

Awww, why thank you :D
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby CreatureArt » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:21 pm

Wow - that was lightspeed, Jaden! <(^_^ <) ==== (Zoom!)

Beautiful shading on your entry, too. The skin tones are lovely and soft and I love the multicolour accent on her bow. The tones you've chosen all work well together and the mountains and mist make a lovely atmospheric background.

Great entry! I'm glad you entered again this month. ^(^0^)^
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
---
CreatureArt

Postby ShadowCat » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:54 pm

I got done a little while ago, an I didn't spend much time on it :/.Image

Edit: I just looked at the original colored one and didn't know I chose the same colors...sorry T_T
ShadowCat

Postby soul alive » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:26 pm

Looks good ShadowCat. I like how you did her hair.

It's not a problem at all if you used the same colors. It's interesting that you chose the same colors totally on your own.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:41 am

awesome entrys you guys.... especially for how fast you were!!

thanks for running the contest this month SA
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:52 am

A couple of nice entries there, guys^^
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Photosoph » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:57 pm

Wow; I find it so amazing that both of you, Jaden and Shadowcat, could come up with such excellent entries in so short a time! You guys are both really talented. ^_^

Jaden: such excellent colours and shading! I like the overall feel of the picture, and of course your wonderful computer effects: the background, and like I mentioned before, the shading too. I love how you've got the shading looking so soft!

Shadowcat: very cool texture on the hair! And I love how you got different colours/tones into the hair too. ^_^ The colours you've used look really good, and I really like the icy look of the bow. Great job!

Already two entries! I wonder if I'll end up participating this month. I hope so; it'll be fun to colour. ^_^
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby ShadowCat » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:22 pm

^o^/))
ShadowCat

Postby soul alive » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:25 pm

Hey, no problem Vernhal. I hope you have fun on your vacation.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:29 pm

I may get in on this if I can. When's the due date?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby soul alive » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:32 pm

Haha, I just realized I had forgotten to put that up, and edited the first post. It's midnight on the 31st.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:24 pm

ooh I will try my best to enter this..^^;
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby the_lizardqueen » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:22 pm

AUGH! So pretty! I'm totally going to have to colour this now. Way to go SA, you're monopolizing my time with uber-pretty-super-nifty-lineart that demands colouring ;)

Hehe. Seriously though, I'm off of school on the 18th and I'm really hoping to have a go at this one. And thank you so much for being willing to run the contest this month ^^ Oi, now I just have to survive final projects O_o
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby soul alive » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:24 pm

*cackles* It's all part of my evil plan, monopolizing peoples' time. JK :P

I know how it feels to be uber busy - I just finished classes today, but I have an independent study project, an essay, and three finals yet. *pulls hair*
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:57 pm

soul alive wrote:*cackles* It's all part of my evil plan, monopolizing peoples' time. JK :P

I know how it feels to be uber busy - I just finished classes today, but I have an independent study project, an essay, and three finals yet. *pulls hair*

Well once I got my concept down it wasnt bad...

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Evangeline-San » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:26 pm

Nice work! Love the colors. :D
~And we know that all things work together for good, to those who love God, and to those who are called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28
~*`*`*`*`*`*~
It's tough being a girl... In a pink world.
-me
~~~
~I can do all thing through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13
"I don't really care if they label me a Jesus freak. There ain't no disguising the truth!"
Evangeline-San

Postby soul alive » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:50 pm

Very cool mechana. I really like the graffiti concept.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:13 pm

thanks!

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:26 pm

I like it a lot, mechana!! ^_^ It is kind strange that you called it City Angel though...her bow doesn't really fit with the imagery...but it's Still awesome!! (I find it funny, but in a good way!)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Photosoph » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:30 pm

Wow, that's so cool, Mech! Love the way you've made it look like graffiti, as already mentioned. But I also think it's cool how you did the original image really well, then superimposed it on a really great background. ^_^ Cool idea.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:04 pm

Ack! I need to get the internet fixed on my other computer (currently using my dad's laptop) soooon! I really wanna color this this month! And I have ideaaas! XD Anyways, once I get back on the computer I usually use, I'll definitely start working on this ASAP! :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Photosoph » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:28 pm

Aw man; hope your computer gets all fixed and stuff soon! >_<

I'm working on an entry for this month! :jump: However, I'm afraid my colouring actually kind of stayed the same as everyone else's; blue top, yellow hair... :sweat: I don't quite know why. Maybe I'll end up changing the colours before I post it. She just naturally seems to go with a blue shirt, blonde/light hair etc in my eyes. >_< :sweat: Lol.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby the_lizardqueen » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:48 pm

Phew! Done and done ^^ This one was extremely fun to colour and it really helped that I found a gorgeous cathedral photo on Flickr to use a background. Er..here's to hoping the original photographer doesn't come after me, I did edit the image alot and I'm certainly not claiming it O_o

*waves* Hey colouring peeps! Yehehe! Class ended today! FREEEEEDOM!!!

Ei, now if only I hadn't agreed to do ten political portraits for my old music pastor and some kinda documentary that he's doing. Farewell Christmas break... *headdesk*

But I will be entering the original character contest. Most definitely :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby CreatureArt » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:49 am

Yay! LQ is back!
:glomps LQ: Good to see you again! I've been away for a bit so its nice to see you and your artwork again. ^^

A very, very cool entry - though that is expected, hoho (note the seasonal version of haha). I love the colours that you've used for the character - they work well with the golden background. The stark shadows give real depth to your picture and the warm browns and reds really add to the overall picture.

I'm looking forward to seeing your original character entry, too. Hopefully I'll get one in there as well. ^^ Sorry to hear that you've got lots of work ahead of you during the Christmas break. I kind of know how you feel. I've got three months off Uni for the end of year break here in NZ and I've got myself working a full time and a part time job for the holiday. *sigh* But at least I get the chance to go on the internet at work (as in right now, for example :lol: ). Hope the portraits go well!
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
---
CreatureArt

Postby Photosoph » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:18 pm

*Would love to just say 'ditto' and steal Creatureart's wonderful commentary on LQ's work, but decides to take the non-lazy option* ;)

Very cool! I agree with CA; lovely shading and colours. I really love the vibrant red of the wings; and the gold top with all the other colours you've used remind me of a roman soldier somehow. o_O Don't ask me quite why. Perhaps the bronzish colour of her top with the red wings like a Roman general's cloak or something. ^_^"

Anyway, excellent colouing job and great background. Well done, as usual! *Toasts LQ with a frothing cup of hot chocolate, then downs a swig of the chocolately stuff. Ends up looking like santa with froth for a beard*

Hopefully I'll get mine in soon. I've done the colouring and shading of the character, though I kind of neglected to do any good texturing... :sweat: but haven't yet made a good background. Might end up posting it as-is, but I'll see. ^^

<Edit>Hurrah for the edit button so I don't have to double post! Not-so-huzzah for the fact that the addition isn't acknowledged in the subscribed threads function. ^_^"

Anyway, decided to finally finish my entry. Doing the background was fun; probably messed up a few things here and there, but mucking around with different things like hue/saturation, color balance etc was fun. ^^ And the border function under Layers. ^^

The background... well, the leaf-like thing was a texture I scanned in from somewhere a while ago; I like it and it seemed to turn out quite nice here. I just added an action-line screentone thingie I found somewhere on top/underneath/both. ^^" Hope you guys like it; it was fun to do for the most part, but now I'm just happy that I can relax and blob out, not having to worry about deadlines for entries or whatever for this contest. :grin:

Oh, and it looks better small. And would probably look better if I coloured the linework too, but eh well. ^_^ *Is content anyway*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby soul alive » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:41 pm

Ooh, lovely entries lizardqueen and Photosoph!

I really like the autumn-y color scheme you used lizardqueen, great job with the shading. And it shows how much Architecture history has warped my brain when I immediately started trying to identify what cathedral your background is from... ^^;;;

And Photosoph, lovely shading as well - I like the tye-dye-esque look to her tunic.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Next

Return to Art Contests