September Coloring Contest 06

Win the competitions and get free cookies! (sorry for lame description, perhaps Ink can come up with a better one)

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:43 pm

Esoteric wrote:Verrry nice, Soul Alive. You've got cell shading down perfect.

And that's pretty trippy Jaden. I sure wouldn't want to meet him in the dark!

trippy is a good way to describe it.... nice on jaden!

hey Eso... will you be joining us this mont??

I am not entering the contest.. since Im running it... but here is what I have so far on the lineart!

CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Photosoph » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:12 pm

Great job, Jaden; I really love that light thingie on the floor. So eyecatching... @_@

Ooo... that's so cool, Vernhal! I love the way you've used 'spots' of light. It's a very cool effect. Haven't tried that one before. Don't think I've seen it before, either.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:16 pm

Vernhal wrote:trippy is a good way to describe it.... nice on jaden!

hey Eso... will you be joining us this mont??

I am not entering the contest.. since Im running it... but here is what I have so far on the lineart!

Awesome, I love it! Again, I really love the way you use the dots to...highlight the highlights! It makes for such a cool effect!

I need to work on my submission...XD; I'm done with most of the actual character himself, but the background will need a lot of work in the next few days. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby soul alive » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:23 pm

Aw, thanks guys and gals. You've made my crappy day better.

I use Photoshop CS2 for coloring. And I'm really happy with my cel shading technique, it works well for me, I'm not much of a computer painter, lol. It's an insanely simple technique, I ought to make a tutorial at some point, when there is such a thing as time in my life.

Very psychedelic Jaden, I like how the swords turned out.

And lovely job so far Vernhal. I'll look forward to seeing how the final version turns out.

I'm also looking forward to seeing everyone elses entries.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Esoteric » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:09 pm

Vernhal wrote:hey Eso... will you be joining us this month??

Perhaps. I'm currently working on an entry for Jaden's character contest. If I have enough time, (and enough people clammor for an Eso entry ;) )then I will.

I must agree about the dots/sparkles...they really make your version shine (no pun intended).
Esoteric

Postby QtheQreater » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:45 pm

Q color piccy!

\o.o/

Things to consider: I don't know how to utilize the real potential of GIMP(that's what I did the piccy with), having only used it like, 3 times. I use a factory standard laptop touchpad for everything(which is insane, but everyone already knew I was crazy). I can't help but use the smudge tool.

Having said that...it needed a trash can on the right side...but I'm too computer graphically challenged at the moment to attempt it. Dunno why he's sitting on the sidewalk...I don't plan ahead for these things, I draw as the mood suits me...

o.O;

Another funny thing...he ended up looking happy. Don't know how I managed that...must have smudged his mouth...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:13 pm

OOH VERY NICE EVERYONE!! ^_^

I am almost done inking my pic... I took it further...AGAIN...I can't help it... I will hopefully have it colored by the end of the week! ^_^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Photosoph » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:27 pm

Man... using a laptop touchpad... *Shivers.* That must've been tough! Definitely did a good job on it, though.

Yeah, you did get him looking happy. :grin: But it's always better to be happy than sad, right? ;)

Anyway, I like the interesting marbled colour you got on his trousers and shoulders. It looks especially good on the shoulders; I'm not into green too much, so I like the plain blue and purple. ^_^ :P And I LOVE the colouring on the swords; I think I've said it already, but I'm a 'blue' fan. ^_^ And I really like those hues too; they go well with the yellow/gold hilts.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby soul alive » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:00 pm

Nice job Q. You did a really good job keeping true to your light source. And I agree, the marbling on the pants/shoulders is really nifty.

And you did that all with a touch pad mouse? Brave. I can't stand those things, mine is turned off because I refuse to use it, lol.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Esoteric » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:30 am

Things to consider: I don't know how to utilize the real potential of GIMP(that's what I did the piccy with), having only used it like, 3 times. I use a factory standard laptop touchpad for everything(which is insane, but everyone already knew I was crazy). I can't help but use the smudge tool.

Really? Wow. You've got patience! All things considered, I'd say you did an excellent job.
Esoteric

Postby Nami » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:34 am

soul alive wrote:Aw, thanks guys and gals. You've made my crappy day better.

I use Photoshop CS2 for coloring. And I'm really happy with my cel shading technique, it works well for me, I'm not much of a computer painter, lol. It's an insanely simple technique, I ought to make a tutorial at some point, when there is such a thing as time in my life.

Very psychedelic Jaden, I like how the swords turned out.

And lovely job so far Vernhal. I'll look forward to seeing how the final version turns out.

I'm also looking forward to seeing everyone elses entries.

Photoshop CS2 T_T I have no clue how to do Cel shading.. *wants to learn* Yeah! Make a Tut.. then show me lol j/k j/k!

Good work everyone! Looks great!
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby QtheQreater » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 am

Haha! So I really am a lunatic for using a touchpad! I knew it! ...must get a mouse or a tablet...

Thanks guys! Compliments are always good, especially for me(Q fears feedback on her artwork...). I think I shall become a regular monthly colorer...:grin:

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Nami » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:28 am

QtheQreater wrote:Haha! So I really am a lunatic for using a touchpad! I knew it! ...must get a mouse or a tablet...

Thanks guys! Compliments are always good, especially for me(Q fears feedback on her artwork...). I think I shall become a regular monthly colorer...:grin:

You are a hero! You used a touchpad! Freakin awesome!
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Jingo Jaden » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:48 am

Awsome this ^^

Thanks for the complimetns I have recived so far, the enteries so far I think are awsome ^_^
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby QtheQreater » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:28 pm

Soul alive

:wow!:

Teh awesomness! How'd you DO that? I'm jealous, really...

Jaden Mental

Cool! I thought about making a darker piccy, too, but chickened out...your style is neat-o! :)

Vernhal

Sweeeet! It shall be awesome when finished. Pity you can't enter it, but good for the rest of us, eh?

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Photosoph » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:52 pm

Yes, do! It'd be cool to have you around as a regular monthly colourer. ^_^
Q... you're a girl? D'oh! >_< I so often forget to check the male/female signs beside people's names... *sigh* Just like with Esoteric... :sweat: Oh well, at least I know now!

Wow! We're already up to page 5. Can't wait for more people to submit their entries. ^_^
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:42 pm

Gah, you lines are so fine! Extraction almost kills it. Need a tiff or somethin'. As always an awsome design
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:32 pm

Thanks everyone... I dont know I fi will ever finish it though.... we will see!

I just wanted to let you all know we might have another coloring buddy! I showed my friend suzy the thread.. and she said she had to color my picture... O_o and when she showed me how far she was I told her she should enter... adn she says she wants to!!!!

thats all for now!~
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Esoteric » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:37 pm

Well, any friend of Vernhals is a friend of ours!
Esoteric

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:33 pm

WOOT I finished it!! (at like 12:30 am)

The title of this is "GARDIAN"

But who is guarding whom?

hmm...

haha, actually the dragon guards the boy and the boy guards the dragon and her egg that will soon hatch! ^_^

I am sorry if I added TOO much! ^^; I just wanted to put in a creative background...

(that, and when I printed it off it was sorta tinyier than I expected LOL)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby soul alive » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:41 pm

Very cute CR! Nice job on the dragon. As usual, I love your colored pencil technique.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:44 am

Yay for CR-chan and her super-creative background ideas!! XD That's really cool, I love it! And SA is right, you have an awesome colored pencil technique!

As far as my entry is concerned, I'm still working on it. XD I hope to get some work done over the weekend, and then have it in by sometime next week. :thumb:
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby meboeck » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:02 am

Yay! I now have inspiration, a Photoshop trial, and a new coloring technique! I pretty much have everything but the background done now! *cheers for self* XD

SA, that is totally awesome! I love the color scheme, and the detail is really something else!

JM, WHOA. That's really wild. I especially like the light burst under him.

Vern, the sparkles are really cool! It seems like he should belong in a wintery background.

Q, Whoa, cool and funky! I don't know how you have the patience to use a touchpad. I had to go buy a mouse because the touchpad frustrated me so much. And that wasn't even related to drawing.

CR, Wow! That's awesome! I would love to have your colored pencil skills.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby QtheQreater » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:19 pm

CR!!!!!! Q LIKEEE!!! The whole dragon thing is teh awesomeness!! I like your colored pencil technique, that's something I still haven't tried...:)

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby meboeck » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:44 pm

It's finished! I am totally in love with watercolor style now! It makes everything so texturey! I wish I could actually get Photoshop instead of just the trial. Anyway, the elf guy looked all sad, and somehow that translated into him fading into a world of grey. There are parts that I don't like so much, but this is definitely my favorite piece of digital art that I've done!
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Jingo Jaden » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:49 pm

Hehe awsome work there ^^

That was well, composed in my opinion ^^
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:04 pm

Ooh, nice work, Meboeck! Welcome to the wonderful world of Photoshop! XD I really like how your pic turned out! Really good job! :thumb:

Radical Dreamer

Postby QtheQreater » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:00 pm

Aw, neat one, meboeck! It looks good! I like the contrast between the colored part and the black and white.

Hehe...funny thing, though...those leaves make me hurt. They look so pointy...:sweat:

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby soul alive » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:28 pm

Oooh. Nice use of watercolor texture. Lovely job meboeck.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:40 pm

WOW c-r I love the dragon! its so cool!

you can never add to much!

Mebeock yours is very cool!!!!

this character is actually the main character from a comic Im making... and he starts out a very sad character... your picture really fits him!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Previous Next

Return to Art Contests