september coloring contest

Win the competitions and get free cookies! (sorry for lame description, perhaps Ink can come up with a better one)

Postby SailorDove » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:24 pm

Shoa Feng-Li, The hair is beautful, but those eyes are amazing! Also like your creative choices for the clothing.

ILoveArt, That was an interesting choice of pink & black and backgound has almost a stained glass / dream look.

Here's my submission. As you can probably tell, began turning it into a wall.

Btw Olorc, I really liked this line art. Would you mind if I used your line art for one of my characters? (Of course, I'd put a credit to you in the pic for the line art)
Naruto Fanfic: Kokoro of Konoha by Sailor Dove

What is the power of the weak and the weakness of power?

What would the butterfly effects be with an OC with no chakra or ninja inclinations but a coveted special sensing ability? But that's not her only closely guarded secret. Psst, don't tell the hyper blond boy she hates ramen.
SailorDove

Postby White Raven » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:24 am

SailorDove wrote:ILoveArt, That was an interesting choice of pink & black and backgound has almost a stained glass / dream look.

Thank you SD.
And welcome to the september coloring contest!
I like the hair color and the eyes! :thumb:
formerly known as ILoveArt

My Deviant Art

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. Dave Barry

bigsleepj wrote: Unfinished stories never leave you, nor do they fester. They only grow better, like wine locked away in a deep dark cellar, waiting for you to bottle it and bring it to the light.
White Raven

Postby PrincessZelda » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:36 am

Meh, I'm not going to win, but I had fun...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:44 am

Not bad at all you too. I like them. See Zelda? It's not bad at all. I like the purples you used. Awsome shading and highlights SailorDove.

And before I forget again, I reallly like your entry ILA.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby White Raven » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:13 am

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Not bad at all you too. I like them. See Zelda? It's not bad at all. I like the purples you used. Awsome shading and highlights SailorDove.

And before I forget again, I reallly like your entry ILA.

Oh yes that is a lovely shade of purple Zelda! :cool:

And thank you for the comment SFL. :thumb:
Edit to say: And I love what you did with the clothes SFL. Good job.
formerly known as ILoveArt

My Deviant Art

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. Dave Barry

bigsleepj wrote: Unfinished stories never leave you, nor do they fester. They only grow better, like wine locked away in a deep dark cellar, waiting for you to bottle it and bring it to the light.
White Raven

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:14 pm

I have my background done and the hair and skin..not the clothes yet

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:53 am

sailor dove yours is awesome! I just LOVe the oranges in the hair! Way awesome! The eyes are very piercing.

zelda 27 great entry.. luvin the prupleness!

looking firward to seeing yours mechana..

well i will go and work on mine now...
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:42 pm

I am going to die from purple seeping into my retinas and eating my brain.... I have a lot of purple in this thing...

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby olorc » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:04 pm

Sailor Dove - you;ld have to ask verny about using the line art bc he's the one who drew it. It's rather nice though.
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby the_lizardqueen » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:05 am

Oo, so much has happened while I was away! Ei, I don't know if I'll be able to enter this month. I guess it's a wait and see, I start classes tomorrow and I've heard horror-stories about the homework load in 2nd year Design. I will definitely give it a go if I can, Vernhal's lineart is too schweet to pass up ^_^

The entries are looking great! Shao's has such pretty blue hair (so shiny...) and the textures in the kimono are excellent.

ILoveArt's has so much atmosphere, it's quite gothic (coolness!), and I love the detailed background. It's also fascinating how she managed to make the girl's expression and eyes so haunting. The soft, muted coloring is working really well too.

And yay for new entrants! The clean coloring and gradients on Sailor Dove's are really well done. The vivid orange hair rocks, and the green that she used in the outfit looks really nice too. I also like Zelda27's color scheme, with the vivid purple and the way that that the green eyes pop atcha due to the contrast.
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby SailorDove » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:37 pm

Wow, Thank you, ILoveArt, Shao Feng-Li, Vernhal, Olorc & the_lizardqueen!
All :dizzy: from all the compliments. You guys make 40 layers of coloring worth it, (wish the colors would wouldn't bleed so much over Vernhals amazing lineart :bang: )!

:red: :hits_self Hey, Vernhal sorry about mistaking your lineart for Olorc! Thanks Olorc, for the setting the record straight for me. Vernahal, I do think YOUR line art is great both artistically & practically (technically in photoshop). :thumb:

Feeling inspired to add a fire/wind effect to the hair & some soft clothlike texture to her shirt. But just for now, will leave this one for the contest.

Salutes the master of line art, (Vernhal) and the creator of the Coloring Contests, Olorc.

What would the butterfly effects be with an OC with no chakra or ninja inclinations but a coveted special sensing ability? But that's not her only closely guarded secret. Psst, don't tell the hyper blond boy she hates ramen.
SailorDove

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:28 pm

AND NOW MY SUBMISSION.... and I can no longer see in the red purple section of the spectrum because of this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby PrincessZelda » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:33 pm

I like yours!
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby SailorDove » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:45 pm

Slides back into room in her socks ~Whoosh~

Zelda, Forgot to tell you in my last post, that I really lke the way you made her eyes have that reflecting thing & the brown hair and blue clothes were nice color choices on her too.

Oh, new one...gazes at Mechana's submission...
Admires skin colors, (mine's wrong shade, yours is more realistic), & shading under hair & eyes, the shading & texure on the hair & clothing, really creative background to break it up into boxes, etc!

Bit puzzled by letters? Is it greek or hebrew? Any perticular meaning behind them? And how'd you get the line art to not get all fuzzy, like I did?

SailorDove

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:05 pm

SailorDove wrote: back into room in her socks ~Whoosh~

Dont hurt yourself...:shady:

SailorDove wrote:Oh, new one...gazes at Mechana's submission...
Admires skin colors, (mine's wrong shade, yours is more realistic), & shading under hair & eyes, the shading & texure on the hair & clothing, really creative background to break it up into boxes, etc!

I used a picture of Misato as a color reference to make sure it worked out. Shading was just... observations. :shady: Haha..everyone would kill me if I told them how the BG worked... though theres a huge load of extra lyers in the BG to get everything to wrap in and out properly.

SailorDove wrote: ...puzzled by letters? Is it greek or hebrew? Any perticular meaning behind them? And how'd you get the line art to not get all fuzzy, like I did?

The letters are runes... I think they're celtic. They are neither greek or hebrew though. They read (though they are partially obscured) "my soul is not a slave to temptation" in the alphabet that I used. Coincidentally I had to draw the runes in in photoshop... I didn't have a font for them.:shady: (theres probably one somewhere out there.... I didn't want to go looking for it... I think they look better this way reguardless)

The lineart is a stunt in photoshop (it also works in Painter). I copied the lineart layer and made it the top layer in the girl, then changed the blending mode from "normal" to multiply. This renders white transparent. I then locked it and created all coloring layers below it in painter and photoshop, effectively creating a perfectly clean lineart layer.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:48 am

Oh... WOW 0.0 Awsome.

That line art layer trick... It's what I use, I think, but I didn't know about the multiply and lock options.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:07 am

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Oh... WOW 0.0 Awsome.

That line art layer trick... It's what I use, I think, but I didn't know about the multiply and lock options.

I oughta make a tutorial as to how I color. The multiply option is in the bar at the top of layers...it typically says "normal". The lock option is up there too, I don't have access to PS right now to find it though.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby the_lizardqueen » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:57 am

*staring at Mechana's*
Ooo..so much detail and so much purple! I love the hair and the background is excellent. It's cool how you stuck to using such a limited color scheme, it turned out well ^_^
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Photosoph » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:07 pm

I hope you'll be able to enter this time too, LQ!

Sorry I haven't been posting much on this thread, guys. :sweat: Anyway, hopefully I'll find time to do some colouring, like I said in my last post. -_-" It just depends on how everything goes.
Aside from all that....

Shao: Beautiful! I love your choice of colours, especially the bright blue (though blue being my favourite colour, I might be slightly partial ;) ), and the work on the kimono looks wonderful; I love the patterns you've got into it, especially the purple one over the main body of the kimono.

LArt: Woah... amazing detail on the eyes, and I love the soft lighting on the hair. The background is seriously amazing; it ties in with the pose and the beads to give it a real story, if that makes sense. ^_^" I also love the the shading you've done, especially on the stained glass windows and on the bow and clothes. Her garb looks really satiny; it's a cool effect.

Sailor Dove: Very cool shinies in her eyes! :grin: Excellent cell-shading too, especialy on the skin; I love the smoothness you've given it. Great colours, too; the hair really stand out against the darker background and goes very well with the green and white.

Zelda27: Very cool; that tone of brown you've used looks great (though like with the blue in Shao's entry, I may be partial to it since I have brown hair of a colour quite close to that :sweat: ), and I love the way that the green eyes really stand out. Nice shades of blue and purple too. ^_^

Mechana: :lol: I wonder if I'll ever be able to see the red colour spectrum again either... :eh: ;) I love the soft skin tone, and the background is seriously schweet. I like the grey and black on the collar, too, and the texture on the kimono/clothes/shirt looks really cool. Did you hand-do those letters? They look really cool too, especially with the embossing.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:44 pm

[quote="Photosoph"]

Mechana: :lol: I wonder if I'll ever be able to see the red colour spectrum again either... :eh: ] Yeha I hand did the letters... it was the only way to get them spaced and shaped properly... I used the pen tool for it, then merged it.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby kyo83 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:06 pm

Argh!! I just realize that it had started!! :hits_self *Quickly working on the coloring...*
"When the story of these times gets written, we want it to say that we did all we could, and it was more than anyone could have imagined."
- Bono, U2

The Common Place

Pure Projext :thumb:
:)

Kyo83.deviantart.com - My Gallery
kyo83

Postby Reba » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:46 am

Ok here you go :P

[SIZE="1"]A blue, black shade of love.

Sent from above.

[align=center]My hands are tied to worlds
alone,
And this I know.
Your breath's like wine,
And just like clouds, my skin crawls.
It's so divine, the sky it glows with fields of light.
Did you know that I love you?
Come and lay with me.
I love you.
And all this day, I will love you.
You make me feel alive,
and I'll love you
Until the end of time.[/SIZE][/align]
Reba

Postby olorc » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:44 am

ahhhh... fresh meat... in that I mean ahhhh new competitors for this contest.
I personally feel that the publicity on the main page will boost interest and participation among CAA member and am excited by what this could bring.
nice entry mechana
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Reba » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:12 am

Umm, well I did it in colored pencil. Heh.

Sent from above.

alone,
And this I know.
Your breath's like wine,
Come and lay with me.
I love you.
You make me feel alive,
and I'll love you
Reba

Postby Photosoph » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:59 pm

Yes! :jump: Another person using the blue! It looks really good, and I love the bright shade you've chosen. ^_^ I also love the way you've done the kimono, too; those swirly patterns look so cool!
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:30 pm

Well with School starting and all I have not been able to check this thread very much and alot has Happened..

Sailor dove i'm sorry i totally missed the second part of your post about using the lineart for one of you chars.. I dont Quite understand what you mean by that but i don't mind if you try to make your character look like her because i will be done with this specific design after the contest...

Mechana- Yours is SO awesome! I totally love everything about it. And thanks for that tip on lineart!

BR Misao- Yours is truly amazing also! I love all the patterns you put into it!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:58 pm

Vernhal wrote:
Mechana- Yours is SO awesome! I totally love everything about it. And thanks for that tip on lineart!

I hope I wrote it well enough for everyone who wants to to implement it...

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Reba » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:25 pm

[quote="Photosoph"]Yes! :jump: Another person using the blue! It looks really good, and I love the bright shade you've chosen. ^_^ I also love the way you've done the kimono, too]

^^ Realy you like it? it took my forever!!XD! i Hope i win ^^ :thumb:

Sent from above.

alone,
And this I know.
Your breath's like wine,
Come and lay with me.
I love you.
You make me feel alive,
and I'll love you
Reba

Postby kyo83 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:03 pm

Duration: Around 6 hours

The Chinese character on the top left hand corner reads,"Jesus". I just thought that it will helps add to the oriental mood the picture is giving out. ;)
"When the story of these times gets written, we want it to say that we did all we could, and it was more than anyone could have imagined."
- Bono, U2

The Common Place

Pure Projext :thumb:
:)

Kyo83.deviantart.com - My Gallery
kyo83

Postby Reba » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:19 am

[quote="kyo83"]Duration: Around 6 hours

The Chinese character on the top right hand corner reads,"Jesus". I just thought that it will helps add to the oriental mood the picture is giving out. ]

DUDE WAY COOL! :thumb: :thumb:

Sent from above.

alone,
And this I know.
Your breath's like wine,
Come and lay with me.
I love you.
You make me feel alive,
and I'll love you
Reba

Previous Next

Return to Art Contests