august coloring contest

Win the competitions and get free cookies! (sorry for lame description, perhaps Ink can come up with a better one)

Postby Esoteric » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:22 pm

Ah ha! So you did go with the 'claw thing'. hehe, that picture might put a whole new meaning in Tiger-style Kung Fu! Very cool, Soph!
[quote="Photosoph"]
I really like that pilot idea, Eso]

Glad you guys like the idea, I basically was going for a 'steam punk' genre picture. Ah, my new av, hehe. It will probably only be up for a few weeks, or as long as the ladder sloth is on duty... One of my least favorite things about painting is using extention ladders and I move about as fast as a sloth when I'm on one! :lol:
Esoteric

Postby Photosoph » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:23 pm

sorry guys... total mix up there... don't know what I was thinking... yes yes yes... I have several entries. I think 4 to be exact. Eso, ILoveArt, Verny, and photo.

I feel included! =^_^=

:lol: Rofl! I was wondering what on earth inspired you to draw a sloth on a ladder -and I was wondering why there was a paintbrush in its mouth... but I didn't expect a rational explanation! [feels like using several million laughing smilies] Usually if I draw something like that, it's usually completely random. ^_^" Either that, or it came from some strange logical mental process that was totally hidden from the conscious part of my brain. :grin:
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby Esoteric » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:38 pm

Photosoph wrote:I was wondering what on earth inspired you to draw a sloth on a ladder -and I was wondering why there was a paintbrush in its mouth... but I didn't expect a rational explanation!

Hehehehe, you didn't huh? Of course! I may be a bit esoteric, but I'm always rational... well, almost always. :evil: :lol:

So still only four entries? The deadline is this saturday, isn't it? Better hurry guys!!
Esoteric

Postby olorc » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:11 pm

Everyone PM Ash and see if she'll post the winner on the main page. Piloswine and I were talking and this idea came up. Not only would it be good promo for this contest, but it would also be good to see some pics on the main page.
what do ya'll think?
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Scribs » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:01 pm

Alas I have tidings of great woe. I will not be able to compete in the contest this month. Time has caught up with me, mugged me, and left me on the side walk without any crayons (figurativly of course.) I will be back next month.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:10 pm

Nice entry photosoph! Love the claw! PHEAR THE CLAW!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Photosoph » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:54 pm

Yes, phear the claw!! :rock: Thanks, Vernhal. ^_^

That's so disappointing, Piloswine; it's okay, but it is a little sad that we won't be able to see an entry from you this month. But you've made regular appearances in so many (if not all) of the other contests, so I think it's okay for you to miss out on one ;). Though again, it's sad not to see an entry from you this time.

I'd PM Ashley, but I don't think she needs too many emails about the same thing; I'm pretty sure she recieves heaps of emails daily already. :sweat:
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby olorc » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:55 am

I pmed the Ash and she said it would be fine!! That's so stinkin' cool guys!! the winner gets posted on the homepage of the CAA!!! so sweet. I just have to remember to PM Ink with a link to the winning entry.
Same goes for the photo contest...
Piloswine... you disappoint... fortunately for you, you are now several hundred miles away from me. It's ok though. XD
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Esoteric » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:40 pm

piloswine wrote:Alas I have tidings of great woe. I will not be able to compete in the contest this month. Time has caught up with me, mugged me, and left me on the side walk without any crayons (figurativly of course.) I will be back next month.

It's those time thieves! Ooo! Those blasted time thieves got you too, huh? <Grabs baseball bat and chases after them> :lol: hehe, sorry about that. :sweat: It's just that I've had this running joke going with one of my other friends about the evil time thieves...

I say we take up a crayon collection for Pilloswine!!
Esoteric

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:04 pm

yes everyone donate crayons NOW!
Also please more people enter.. yah... that would be good...
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Mave » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:13 pm

Phew....I made it. (-__-);\\

What can I say about my entry? I spent probably a good 3-4 hours on it and didn't really get a chance to be super creative with it. That's the problem with last minute assignments. :sweat:

But, a promise is a promise. I promised to participate this month and hopefully, this will add on to the fun here. ^_^
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mave

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:21 pm

Wow mave that is awesome! And totally freaky to because I was gonna do that EXACT same color scheme!(You did use about the same color for the body) except I was gonnna make it this whole fantasy superman thing but then I changed my mind. Anyways great entry!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby White Raven » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:31 pm

Wow that's cool Mave!
formerly known as ILoveArt

My Deviant Art

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. Dave Barry

bigsleepj wrote: Unfinished stories never leave you, nor do they fester. They only grow better, like wine locked away in a deep dark cellar, waiting for you to bottle it and bring it to the light.
White Raven

.......zzzz------------ip!

Postby CreatureArt » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:37 am

Phew.
Due to the extra study I'm doing (*bangs head against History textbook*) this is a relatively quick one. I wish I'd spent further time developing it but in finishing I want to thank Eso for her awesome linework. It was great to work with. :)

So, without further ado, here's my entry. Not a very imaginative background, but I like the blue flames. I had originally tried to get rid of the blue in loyalty to LQ, but I felt them calling to me as I pressed cntrl+I on the original colour. !_!

Oh, and very awesome entries so far! I'm sorry that Piloswine won't be joining us, but it will make me look forward to his next one with all the more anticipation. Of course, there had *better* be a next one... (*hides an oversized mallet not-so-innocently behind her back*) :lol: . It's also awesome to have you on board, Mave.

Click for my entry
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:25 am

CA wrote:I had originally tried to get rid of the blue in loyalty to LQ

I inspire loyalty? Aww, now I feel special :lol:

I totally know your pain, cool colors are so tempting, but thus far I've held out and stuck to the warm colors. Unfortunately, I've opted out of the falling background (sorry falling-buddy-Eso, I've betrayed yooou!...) because I had an alternate strange idea that I've decided I must try, if I can just find the right photo or reference...I have just over four hours till I need to get ready for work and I'm planning on staking out at the computer with my music and coffee, and frantically coloring and scribbling until then.

Oo, and I am totally going to post a rambling novel length post about all the other entries once I've finished mine. They all look superb :grin:
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Esoteric » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:40 am

Unfortunately, I've opted out of the falling background (sorry falling-buddy-Eso )

*sniff* So, does this mean I have to fall all on my own guys?? Nooooooooo! (...voice trails off through the clouds....) :lol: Aw well, looks like I got dibs on it after all...

Wow, you guys. I must say, I'm extremely impressed with the various lighting effects you all have come up with for this artwork. Mave, for 3-4 hours, that's some pretty impressive hard-edge shading, complete with drop shadows, very nice! And CArt, your soft shading is just as impressive, I like how the blue flame is mirrored on the armor.

*Grabs pom poms.* Hurrah, LQ! You can do it!! *lamely imitates a cheerleader.* All you others too! Shao, you comin? Um, did Krypto say he was entering this time too? I can't remember...
Esoteric

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:26 am

Wow cart that is really awesome! I love all these great entries!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby White Raven » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:24 pm

the_lizardqueen wrote:I inspire loyalty? Aww, now I feel special :lol:

I totally know your pain, cool colors are so tempting, but thus far I've held out and stuck to the warm colors. Unfortunately, I've opted out of the falling background (sorry falling-buddy-Eso, I've betrayed yooou!...) because I had an alternate strange idea that I've decided I must try, if I can just find the right photo or reference...I have just over four hours till I need to get ready for work and I'm planning on staking out at the computer with my music and coffee, and frantically coloring and scribbling until then.

Oo, and I am totally going to post a rambling novel length post about all the other entries once I've finished mine. They all look superb :grin:

I can't wait to see yours, Liz. :hug:

My Deviant Art

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. Dave Barry

bigsleepj wrote: Unfinished stories never leave you, nor do they fester. They only grow better, like wine locked away in a deep dark cellar, waiting for you to bottle it and bring it to the light.
White Raven

Postby olorc » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:13 pm

Mave: indeed an entry worthy of our praise. Superb.
LQ: I know it'lll be good.
olorc

Postby Photosoph » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:38 pm

Wow, Mave... all the shading and colours look great, and I love the background. ^_^ Such cool angles, colours and shapes! I like backgrounds like that. The colours, shading and lighting effects on the main guy look amazing as well; all the more so when you keep in mind that you only spent three-four hours on it! I love that almost pixellated look around his hand... it really makes it look like it's brightly shining.

I can't wait to see yours, LQ! Ah, good old novel-length ramblings. ^_^ I've done that many a time. :grin: :sweat:

And CA... man, such a hypnotising background thingie. O_O The rest of it is great, but that whole swirly backdrop thingie looks so amazing... :eh: Is it water? Is it ripples of light? Or is it nothing but The Void? o_O Very cool blue flame effect too.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby CreatureArt » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:27 pm

Thanks LQ, Eso, Vernhal, everybody. :)

Actually, Soph, its a lot of textured brush strokes with a 'pinch' filter and a lot of tweaking. :sweat:

I'm looking forward to your entry, too, LQ ^_^.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
---
CreatureArt

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:37 am

Well, it's 2:30 AM and I just tried to use a sharpie on my tablet. I think it's time to call it a night. It's a little random, but I've somehow reached the conclusion he's a rock star.

This was so much fun :grin:

I dreamt the concept up after a long session of staring blankly at the lineart while listening to way too much Phantom of the Opera, at which point I decided it looked like he was screaming/howling/hitting a really long note, so he must be an opera singer. But after striking out in my search for opera stage backgrounds and pictures of opera divas wearing viking helmets, I decided to make him the front man for a furturistic theatrical rock band (sorta like a spaceage KISS or Queen). And it all went downhill from there very rapidly..I've decided that my thought process scares me, though it really did make sense at the time *nods*

Um, violet is kinda a semi warm tone, right? Ei, I should probably just face the facts: the background is blue. Ack, I gave into the blue! Well, um...at least I managed to keep his armor kinda warm toned. :forehead:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby White Raven » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:42 am

OH you know I love it Liz!

My Deviant Art

White Raven

Postby olorc » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:31 am

well worth the wait indeed.

ATTENTION: this is the last day to get an entry in... I think everyone who is going to enter, has, but you never know who's been lurking the shadowy background of this thread.
Judging will be tomarrow.

Remember the winner get's posted on the homepage!!

looking ahead: Next month (Sept.) I have the distinct honor of saying that Vernhal will be our featured artist. I've already seen the art and it is very nice.
olorc

Postby olorc » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:06 am

Double posting on purpose to isolate this thought from the others:

What do you guys think of me as a sort of "mod" of this thread. Personally, I really enjoy running it, a great pleasure to be sure. I feel, however, like I may be inadvertantly putting myself above you all. I mean, I'm not a real mod or admin of the CAA, yet I still am "in charge", so to speak, of this contest which has become increasinly more offiicial as time goes on(thanks to all you devoted/awesome people who can't get enough. :thumb ). I created it, I made up the rules (hopefully fair ones), I judge it, everything. You ok with that?

Also, I try hard to grow this thread. This month I got it moved to the official art contest forum and also am getting the staff to let the winner get posted on the homepage. I guess I'm looking for someone to let me know if these changes are what you want. I have this contest if for you all to enjoy.

Honest feedback is desired.
olorc

Postby White Raven » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:33 pm

olorc wrote:Double posting on purpose to isolate this thought from the others:

What do you guys think of me as a sort of "mod" of this thread. Personally, I really enjoy running it, a great pleasure to be sure. I feel, however, like I may be inadvertantly putting myself above you all. I mean, I'm not a real mod or admin of the CAA, yet I still am "in charge", so to speak, of this contest which has become increasinly more offiicial as time goes on(thanks to all you devoted/awesome people who can't get enough. :thumb ). I created it, I made up the rules (hopefully fair ones), I judge it, everything. You ok with that?

Also, I try hard to grow this thread. This month I got it moved to the official art contest forum and also am getting the staff to let the winner get posted on the homepage. I guess I'm looking for someone to let me know if these changes are what you want. I have this contest if for you all to enjoy.

Honest feedback is desired.

I'm happy with the way you do things. :thumb:
Keep up the good work :angel:

My Deviant Art

White Raven

Postby Esoteric » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:31 pm

*Looks at LQ's pic.*

:o :) :P :grin: :lol: :thumb:

Wow! Although I'm kinda wondering where the lines went... That's an absolutely awesome concept for the background. So original!! Truly nice stuff, LQ. Oh, and sorry to hear about your tablet... :lol:
Esoteric

Postby Mave » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:18 pm

LQ, that's very creative. :thumb:

Olorc, I can't say that I view this as a mod position but overall, I do appreciate your generosity in handling the coloring contests. ^^
Mave

Postby Photosoph » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:30 pm

That is so cool LQ -and myself having a brain that seems to switch topics almost as fast as a cheetah in a giant exercise wheel could go downhill on the highway, I have to say that I admire your ideas and definitely colouring of your pic. I mean, I don't know how you got that colouring effect but it really reminds me of those whatchamacallit oil pastel-type things (yes. I really do know my art media... :lol: ). I also love the way you've used the black on his hand with the coloured highlights.. and the way you've highlighted the black with colour in the background too. In fact, the detail in the background is really amazing -the way you've even gone and done two more band members and an audience too. o_O

Such an amazing pic!

Hmm... so far I really like the way it's being run, Olorc; the way anyone can submit linework (I'm looking forward to seeing your linework next time, Vernhal!), getting different judges in... etc. I also like the way it's been made more official. ^_^ It was just as good when it was non-official, but hopefully it'll mean there'll be more interest and more entries. Though I have to say I kind of like it being small... it's kind of more fun that way. So I hope it doesn't get HUGE, though it would be cool since that would mean there'd be a lot more entries... but then it might not be as friendly.
So I like the changes made so far, Olorc.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby CreatureArt » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:15 am

I agree. I like the changes made so far; witht he winner being posted on the main page. I dont think at all that you're 'putting yourself above' anyone else, Olorc. Contests just need someone to judge them and keep an eye on things, and as the instigator of the contest that naturally fell to you, and you've done a good job of it. I always enjoy the colouring contests.

Oh, and LQ..... that is AWESOME!! What detail! What beautiful colour! What great use of perspective and background to create a story and atmosphere in the picture! It is an incredible entry, and I wanted you to know. :)
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
---
CreatureArt

Previous Next

Return to Art Contests