"Ah fixed it!" (chat problem, resolved)

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

"Ah fixed it!" (chat problem, resolved)

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:36 pm

For a while I've had intermittent trouble with the chat and the bip system, for a while it worked perfectly, then it stopped working entirely on firefox and the bip didn't work on IE. After the site update this worked perfectly again for a brief time then went back to only working on IE.

I tried to get into the chat earlier tonight and found that it didn't want to work, in firefox, IE, or dragon. so I got kind of cheesed of at it and, after a bunch of toggling addons etc. on and off, went back to firefox and fired up firebug. Eventually I found that I was getting a '404 not found' error at
"http://www.christiananime.net/chat/.mp3"
both when the page loaded and then when the next message came in (the second attempt seemed to e the one that was crashing the chat for me). So I went into chat again and didn't turn the bip on (in retrospect, something I should have done sooner), and it didn't crash.

Given this, I changed my bip setting and now everything works fine. As far as I can tell the bip setting in my profile got lost and when the firefox tried to find a file that doesn't exist the chat crashed, resetting the call fixed the problem. Interestingly IE used to just suppress the error.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about how the site is setup to tell whether this was my profile getting messed up or just my cookies getting messed up (another thing I should have checked tonight, I think I purged cookies in a previous attempt at solving this problem).

So, tl;dr version:
So if the chat keeps crashing or the bip doesn't work, reset your biptype in user CP -> profile, that fixed it for me.
I hope that this helps anyone else that's been having trouble with the chat/bip.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Return to Announcements and Feedback