Western Animation Reviews?

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Western Animation Reviews?

Postby Furen » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:23 pm

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but would we be able to rate non anime titles, so long as it's still animation?
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby alma » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:14 pm

I would like to see that!
Then probably there will be a need to create a non-anime tab/section in the reviews area.
Or having a sister site "Christian non-anime animation alliance"....Hmmm....it sounds wierd. : )
"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."John 17:3 (NASB)
"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”John 13:35
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/alma01
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
alma

Postby rocklobster » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:36 am

AnimeGirl has reviewed Avatar on her blog.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:08 am

^ but people just casually visiting the site won't know about the blogs or who has reviewed what on them.
Atria35

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:17 am

I think one of the major reasons we don't have this is because of two reasons. One, western animation for children tends to be void of almost all the content people would complain about. You're not going to turn on Nickelodeon and suddenly see boobs or someone getting their arm ripped off.

Two, western animation is practically always already rated. Whether it be by the MPAA with a G/PG/PG-13/R/NC-17 rating, or by the FCC (I think that's who does this?) with the TV-Y/Y7/PG/14/MA stuff.

YOu could just make it more like a regular review, sure, but I think the major reason the reviews exist on here is because of content. People would wonder "What stuff is in this that I might wish to avoid?" Western animation, as a whole, does not have this problem.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby rocklobster » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:38 pm

Yes, very few western titles really "push the envelope." They're worried what parents will think and try to be perceived as safe as possible. In the past, I've seen exceptions like Exosquad and Pirates of Dark Water, but those are few. This is one of the reasons I like anime more than western animation. They seem to be more concerned about entertainment than what the parents will think.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:26 pm

rocklobster (post: 1500024) wrote:Yes, very few western titles really "push the envelope." They're worried what parents will think and try to be perceived as safe as possible. In the past, I've seen exceptions like Exosquad and Pirates of Dark Water, but those are few. This is one of the reasons I like anime more than western animation. They seem to be more concerned about entertainment than what the parents will think.

//missed the point?

The point is because they don't push the envelope, it's a little pointless to review them on here. Parents already know they're safe because they're already rated by the MPAA and the FCC.
Atria35

Postby Nate » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:32 am

rocklobster wrote:They seem to be more concerned about entertainment than what the parents will think.

No, not really, anime for children in Japan has very strict standards about what kind of content is allowed. It's just that their standards do not match our standards.

And Atria said what I was getting at. As far as I know the site created the reviews section to warn people about content, since it can often be difficult to determine what kind of content an anime may have in it. Western cartoons don't normally have the same problem.

Nate

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:42 am

Nate (post: 1500258) wrote:No, not really, anime for children in Japan has very strict standards about what kind of content is allowed. It's just that their standards do not match our standards.

Yeah, for example I read somewhere that in Japan, if a naked child ran across the background in a children's program, there would be no eyebrows raised. Whereas in America, a lot of parents would find that rather troubling. I'm not sure what Japanese parents wouldn't want their children seeing that Americans would have no problem with, though. Public displays of affection, maybe?
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Nate » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Extreme violence is one. I've seen comparisons between manga and the anime that was made from it, and the violence gets toned WAY down for the anime.

One of the biggest examples that sticks out to me is in One Piece, when Zeff saved Sanji, in the manga he took them to the island and stayed alive by eating his own leg. In the anime, they had an anchor chain wrap around his leg and tear it off. This of course led to the plot hole of "How did Zeff stay alive on the island if he didn't eat anything for 30 days?"

Nate

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:53 pm

That is the kind of stuff I don't think American parents would want their children seeing either, though. Fu's question was specifically about stuff American's are totally cool with that the Japanese wouldn't want.

Anyways, aside from their not really being a need, I guess I don't see why Christian Anime Alliance would need reviews for Western animation. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with Western animation, I don't see why we'd really need reviews of them on an anime forum.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Return to Announcements and Feedback