So what's up with this new review system?

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Postby Atria35 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:55 pm

rocklobster (post: 1495725) wrote:Just tried things out! Here's your first test!

xD You're a little late on it- there were a few reviews up a few days ago. Which title did you review?
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:00 pm

It hasn't been verified yet. I'm reviewing Beast King Golion.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks to everyone who's had kind words to say about the new reviews system. I know it's not totally finished, but we put a great deal of effort into figuring out exactly what our target markets were, and what kind of functionality would be required to suit that need. We then tried to figure how we could best convert those requirements into an easy to use system. I'm fairly proud of what we've done, but I welcome feedback on how things could be done better. Please feel free to leave a message in the "feedback" section of the site with ideas/concerns/etc.

We also had to compromise in a few areas, though. A good example of this is precisely the issue of "numbers aren't enough." In the previous system, we sometimes down-played the numerical stuff in order to focus on the overall review. But there are plenty of review sites on the 'net, so what really differentiated ours? We decided that our differentiation was in the emphasis on content, so we made that the focus. If there are "outlier" anime where numbers don't tell everything, we have the review area under the content ratings where people can talk about other issues.

In terms of trying to fix the broken parts of the old system, a major focus was on speed of approval. In the last week (can you believe it's only been one week?!?) we've gone from a couple dozen reviews to 150 (between the anime, the manga, and the videogame systems). That's WAY faster than we could EVER have hoped to do with the old system.

Thank you all for your participation in making this a major outreach and ministry tool!
Mithrandir

Postby ABlipinTime » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1496029) wrote:In the last week (can you believe it's only been one week?!?) we've gone from a couple dozen reviews to 150 (between the anime, the manga, and the videogame systems). That's WAY faster than we could EVER have hoped to do with the old system.

That's awesome!
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby MomentOfInertia » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Would it be possible to invert the colors on the content ratings?

Having them fill in green with more mature content just feels weird.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Midori » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:25 pm

MomentOfInertia (post: 1499830) wrote:Would it be possible to invert the colors on the content ratings?

Having them fill in green with more mature content just feels weird.
Agreed. We'll talk about this.
Midori

Postby rocklobster » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:28 am

What's DAT mean?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:16 pm

rocklobster (post: 1501989) wrote:What's DAT mean?

Ah. This is defined in a few places, but it stands for Drugs, Alcohol, and/or Tobacco.
Mithrandir

Postby Atria35 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:09 pm

Okay- what do we do about titles that weren't translated into English when they came over? I'm specifically thinking about Hanasau Iroha, which remains Hanasaku Iroha on Crunchyroll. I'm sure there are others like that, though.

But I'm also wondering about titles that are supremely long and awkward in English, such as that for Ano Hana, which ends up being something like 'A Certain Flower Who's Name We Forgot' or something like that, which if licensed, won't likely keep that long and akward name. What do we title those as?
Atria35

Postby Midori » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:45 am

Atria35 wrote:Okay- what do we do about titles that weren't translated into English when they came over? I'm specifically thinking about Hanasau Iroha, which remains Hanasaku Iroha on Crunchyroll. I'm sure there are others like that, though.

But I'm also wondering about titles that are supremely long and awkward in English, such as that for Ano Hana, which ends up being something like 'A Certain Flower Who's Name We Forgot' or something like that, which if licensed, won't likely keep that long and akward name. What do we title those as?
Hm, I would recommend leaving the English name blank when you fill it in. When it gets officially localized, hopefully someone will notice and give us feedback allowing us to fix it.
Midori

Previous

Return to Announcements and Feedback