Avitar Size Survay!

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Avitar Size Survay!

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:50 pm

Well Noz (aka Straylight) hasn't decided what to make the Avitar Size limit...

Before, avitars had a limit of 90x90 pixels, temporarily they are 110x110.

So what do you think...Should we stick to our faster loading, most used size, yet slightly smaller Avitars. (90x90)

Or with bigger, larger file sized, avitars? (100+x100+)

Don't forget that making a change in the file size would mean many users would consider remaking or finding a different avitar if they wanted thier size to blend in with every one elses.) Having a 90x90 avitar above a 110x110 doesn't exactly make the board layout look too good. So choose one or the other)

<-------Volt's Opinion--------->

I hope we keep it at 90x90, That's the way it was, and that's the way it should be -my opinion-

I meant 90x90 is big enough for detail but small enough to keep pages loading quickly. 90x90 is fine and more than enough.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby inkhana » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:07 pm

Stick with smaller avs. Large ones mess up the width of the left table of the skin. And they get kinda distracting too...they're less "post jewelry" than massive claims to real estate...XD

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:08 pm

I'm not gonna vote 'cause I'm too divided on the issue. By habit I make all of my avs 100x100. If we go back to 90x90 though, I can start making them all that size without a problem.

I don't really see how there's too much of a difference between 100x100 and 90x90 though. I mean, a 100x100 can still have a small filesize if you do the quality right, so the issue of bogging the site down isn't a big one, I don't think. I think the way it works is the limit is [pixel size], or [file size], whichever is smaller.

Eh, I'll stop running my mouth now. Whatever happens is cool with me.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Gremio » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:44 am

Let it be known that the word is spelled AVATAR.

I personally believe smaller avatars are the best, within reason of cource. Ive seen some forums with huge avatars and ita just not a good thing, I say 90x90 is the perfect size.

Gremio

Location: The school of making funny locations for my forum profile

Postby Straylight » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:46 am

It's highly likely that I'll go back to the 90x90 limit. the only reason it's 110x110 at the moment is because so many users uploaded big avatars when the sizelimit stopped working. I deleted all the extremely large ones though.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Fsiphskilm » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:05 pm

Gremio wrote:Let it be known that the word is spelled AVATAR.

My spelling teacher abused me as a child. She wipped me with extension cords and made me spell supercalafragilisticexpialidosious after drinking cups and cups of Salt Water that burned the lining of my Esophigus...

*starts taking Nexium, the purple pill*

(joke)

<------------NOZ------------>

Yes! I love the 90x90. Apparently others do too. (Only 3 members voted:()
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Retten » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:32 pm

Volt wrote:My spelling teacher abused me as a child. She wipped me with extension cords and made me spell supercalafragilisticexpialidosious after drinking cups and cups of Salt Water that burned the lining of my Esophigus...

*starts taking Nexium, the purple pill*

(joke)

<------------NOZ------------>

Yes! I love the 90x90. Apparently others do too. (Only 3 members voted:()

0_0 wow that has to be one of the most random out of no where stories I have ever seen

90x90 is good its keeps things small enough but they still have detail :)

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:50 pm

Reduce the limit to 22*21, and no more than 4 colors. Then you guys can understand the limits I had to work with when I first drew Melody for the C-64. ^_~

(I'm only joking, of course--but I'm serious about my original of Melody only being 22*21, 3 colors.)
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby LorentzForce » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:26 am

90x90 will be fine.

i love my current avatar, and i probably will stick with it for quite a while i believe. and if it needs resizing, i can do that in a ziffy.
LorentzForce

Postby Michael » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:48 pm

100X100 is fine I think. Let's just not get bigger than that.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:36 pm

90x90 TOO SMALL!
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Jessi Ray » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:55 pm

I think the avies should be 100 x 100 -or- 90x90 with an auto resizer.

100 x 100 is the online avatar graphics standard. Having been arround the block with graphics making on anime graphics sites, I see that alot of people see it as the only acceptable size. I have yet to see any people with a huge database of 90 x 90 avatars, and for me--a graphics maker, I really wish I could just show off a graphic I have already made instead of making a new graphic or having to cut somthing off of an old one.

100 x 100 loads fine on my comp, and I have dailup so no worries there.
Jessi Ray

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:14 pm

Necromancy, much?

But hey, if it's alive and running, I'll toss in my two cents. I'd really prefer 100x100 avatars, if only because most of the avatars I find on other sites are all uniform 100x100, and resizing them or cutting off 10x10 sometimes ruins them. So any avatar I'd want to use here, I'd first have to tailor down to fit.

Not that big a deal, but I've said it all the same.
Fish and Chips

Postby Ratrace » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:42 pm

So far there are a few people who want bigger avatars, and about 4000 members with the currant size. I say leave it.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Ratrace

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:22 am

I can resize avatars without cutting them...its rather easy..^^

Yeah I am with Ratrace...I would rather have 90x90 than CAA crash because of bandwidth problems..:/
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 am

Yeah... Let's hear it for gravedigging a topic that was laid to rest nearly 3 years ago...
Mithrandir

Return to Announcements and Feedback