Virus On CAA

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Virus On CAA

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Tue May 15, 2007 4:08 am

In the topic "hey guys" in General (or something like that) Shatter posted a link to somewhere on the site. Well, I go to it, only to have my computer tell me the links destinations security tag is invalid/out of date. Foolish person that I am, I click on the link anyway...and a virus springs out of the internet and tries to crash my internet, as well as my computer. Fortunately, I know how to cut off the connection I've got set up here, and after a five hour deep-scan, things seem ok, but I figured I should tell somebody, but wasn't sure who.
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby Ashley » Tue May 15, 2007 8:18 am

Uh...okaaaaay.

Actually, he just posted from the secure login that we mods use. I've used it dozens of times and there's never been any problems, and I know for sure if there WAS Mith would have told us ASAP. Perhaps it was just your computer being weird.
Ashley

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue May 15, 2007 9:23 am

I'm guessing that your computer received the security certificate and that confused it somehow. Remove the "s" from the "https" in the url and I'm guessing that same link will work fine for you.
uc pseudonym

Postby Stephen » Tue May 15, 2007 10:30 am

*laughs*

Yes Zarn, you have me figured out. I have been working on making a virus for years to take down CAA changing only a single letter in the url. Rats, I've been foiled. I would have gotten away with it too...if it was not for you kids, and that stupid dog!

*Ahem* Yeah. Ash and UC already explained why it did this. It has nothing to do with a virus at all.
Stephen

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue May 15, 2007 10:54 am

I've seen that message a number of times, and it never did anything weird for me. Maybe your computer's security settings are too high, or something.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Tue May 15, 2007 7:56 pm

I wasn't leveling an accusation; that would be about the stupidest thing I could say, and I know stupid quite well.

I was fearful that the thread he'd been linking had something done to it, I wasn't sure what.

To explain what happened: I clicked the link and the windows on my internet kept opening. They would not stop, they wouldn't exit, and it almost killed my internet.
We are all as we appear
Zarn Ishtare

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed May 16, 2007 7:14 am

Do you use IE? I've had that problem once or twice on the library computers, whose browsers are... subpar. All I've ever been able to do is restart; I'm not sure what the exact problem is.
uc pseudonym

Postby ich1990 » Wed May 16, 2007 7:29 am

I have had similar problems on IE6. A bunch of blank windows would suddenly pop up out of the blue. I had to use the task manger to shut down the browser. I haven't had any problems with IE7 or Opera9 though. If you are running IE6 you might want to consider upgrading.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed May 16, 2007 10:42 am

hmm that only happens to me when I try to close CAA without a page fully loading...and it hasn't happened in a while... but I do what Ich1990 does and try to shut it down..^^;

I wouldn't worry about it...O_o
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Wed May 16, 2007 1:44 pm

Yeah, I use IE, and that happened to me.

And I'll upgrade....someday.
We are all as we appear
Zarn Ishtare

Postby mastersquirrel » Thu May 17, 2007 7:54 am

Zarn Ishtare wrote:To explain what happened: I clicked the link and the windows on my internet kept opening. They would not stop, they wouldn't exit, and it almost killed my internet.

This actually happened to me recently on my work computer. Every time I'd try to do something on the internet (my work computer only had IE at the time) it would do exactly as you said, start opening up a whole bunch of IE windows. I actually got and installed Firefox on it, and then used Yahoo's spyware scanner and it turns out that a piece of spyware was causing it. After removing that, IE works fine. I don't know if this is what happened with you, but I just thought this might be helpful.
[SIZE="1"]"If there's one thing that I know, it's that I know more than one thing." - Master Squirrel[/SIZE]
mastersquirrel

Postby Mithrandir » Fri May 18, 2007 9:31 pm

Looks like everyone else answered this one for you. The main reason we don't publish the https url is that the certs cost hundreds of dollars a year to maintain - so we self-sign them. That results in the "unknown authority" message you got. It's perfectly fine, and you can tell your computer to "always accept" it. That will get rid of the error message.
Mithrandir

Return to Announcements and Feedback