Video Games Reviews Database now in Beta!

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Video Games Reviews Database now in Beta!

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:01 pm

OK everyone. I know there's been a lot of waiting on this one, but it looks like we're ready to go into beta for this.

The official CAA Video Games Reviews Database is now online. Have fun! We'll be working though some of the bugs as we go along, but most of the functionallity seems to be working now.

- Mithrandir
Mithrandir

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:25 pm

AWESOME!

*Azier cracks his knuckles*

Time to fill this sucker up.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Myoti » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:27 pm

As will I. I take this will be working similarly to the other review systems or such (write, turn into Mod to have them approve)?

Also, is there some way for us to know what has already been sent in approval (but still pending), so we don't end up writing multiple reviews, only to have one rejected?
Myoti

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:40 pm

this is a really nice addition. keep up the great effort mods and thanks for all the hard work!
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:38 pm

Myoti wrote:As will I. I take this will be working similarly to the other review systems or such (write, turn into Mod to have them approve)?
Yes.

Also, is there some way for us to know what has already been sent in approval (but still pending), so we don't end up writing multiple reviews, only to have one rejected?

Hmm... I haven't thought about this one much. At the moment, there aren't any pending reviews, so you're probably OK. If you're really worried about it, you can always ask a mod or two to check and see if there's one in there for a specific title already. If everyone follows the formatting and grammar requirements, though, there shouldn't be TOO much delay between posting and aproval. (YMMV).
Mithrandir

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:31 pm

For the other threads, people have typically asked about if there are any reviews pending when they set about writing their own. Any mod can see them, so it's easy to get a quick answer or for two people to agree on who does a given title.
uc pseudonym

Postby samuraidragon » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:47 pm

Can there be added a recommended age? The ESRB rating can be rather vague.
-マックスウェル

"My my, the cruelest lies are often told without a word; my my, the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." Ben Folds, The Last Polka

No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friend - John 15:13
samuraidragon

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:10 pm

I think (and I could be wrong, as I didn't set this up) that the idea behind not having a recommended age is because we think each person is too different for it to be easy to give a number. The ratings give a vague idea of the content, much like an age, and people can decide if they want to play a game based on the specifics said about it.
uc pseudonym

Postby rocklobster » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:29 am

I'd like to see a review for Soul Calibur 3.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:53 pm

Then you may want to post about it here:
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?p=1097114
uc pseudonym

Postby chikin_d00d89 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:57 pm

How long does it take for you guys to look at a review before it can be approved for general viewing by the otakus of this website... and by all the geeks on CCGR who think I abandoned them?
"A moment later and you would've fit nicely inside a sandwich!"

-Barry, Resident Evil GameCube REmake (emphasis on RE for a REason)

chikin_d00d89

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:37 am

That depends. We don't get paid for this; we're all volunteers. To ensure highest quality, each review has to be approved by someone who's actually played a game. On top of that, we've got multiple reviews for some games, so we look through the system to see which one is the best. Furthermore, we've got to deal with grammar and spelling errors. This ends up being a LOT of work.

Please be patient.
Mithrandir

Postby Conner999 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:08 pm

It'd be cool if people were allowed to comment on the reviews. I never found a single review that covered everything, because it's usually from the viewpoint of one person. Having multiple opinions would be a unique and interesting way to do it.
Conner999

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:16 pm

That's why we have the threads, actually. Note the "Associated Thread" link at the upper right of any given review. Theoretically people would read the review, then look to the thread for further opinions, but this option hasn't been used heavily. If anyone brings up an oversight in the review or something that needs to be edited, we can do so, of course.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:20 pm

Not to be impatient (because usually I'm not), but I submitted a review roughly a month ago, and haven't had any word on it. If it's rubbish, fine, I'll rewrite it, but please, somebody talk to me.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:14 pm

Your review looks good to me. I believe the delay is because we don't approve reviews that the person doing the approving hasn't played themselves (at least I think I recall this being said somewhere). It's been too long since I've played that, though I suspect Link may be qualified.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:57 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Your review looks good to me. I believe the delay is because we don't approve reviews that the person doing the approving hasn't played themselves (at least I think I recall this being said somewhere). It's been too long since I've played that, though I suspect Link may be qualified.

Ahhhhhh....that makes sense, then. But if no one on the staff's played it, is it stuck in Limbo?
Fish and Chips

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:47 pm

Pretty much, yes. We do make exceptions, but this requires a bit of research (which I don't really have the state of mind for these days).

The bottom line is basically, "We'll get to it when we can, but we don't really have a standard MO for the time frame."
Mithrandir

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:38 pm

Mithrandir wrote:Pretty much, yes. We do make exceptions, but this requires a bit of research (which I don't really have the state of mind for these days).

The bottom line is basically, "We'll get to it when we can, but we don't really have a standard MO for the time frame."

Gotcha'. Moving on.
Fish and Chips

Return to Announcements and Feedback