Reviews of Light Novels

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Reviews of Light Novels

Postby rocklobster » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:33 am

I've read that Tokyopop and some other companies will be publishing "light novels" (read Capn Nick's review of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) soon. I think they should be reviewed on this site. Tokyopop has already released at least one: .hack//AI Buster
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:35 pm

The first one I knew they did was the Boogiepop novels... I really want to read it, but I'm wary of translated non-graphic novels... They either get stale in translation, or a lot of things are lost... Anime and Manga are visual media, so they're not as bad...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:16 pm

That's an interesting thought. It probably isn't worth a section until it becomes a slightly bigger movement, however (this being only my opinion). So far I have been unimpressed with the literary quality of the novels I have seen, though I do give them some benefit of the doubt for translation.
uc pseudonym

Postby Puritan » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:35 pm

Hmmm. Though I can't speak for literary quality (I was more concerned about the story that the analysis of literary merits) I did just read the first Crest of the Stars novel, and I know other stuff is still coming out. We could open a section for just translated Japanese literature, I know I've read a number of things and will likely read more over time. I think that would leave a fair bit of room for reviews, and though I have less time that I used to, I know there are a number of Japanese books I'd be happy to review...given time, of course.
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:32 pm

The only problem with this idea is that reviews mean someone on staff has to approve them. Obscure subject matter like light novels would leave the staff with few resources to check the veracity of the review. For my part, I know me and Gypsy are waist deep in reviews, so I don't know where I, personally, would get the time to approve any of these. :)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Return to Announcements and Feedback