Some search improvement suggestions

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Some search improvement suggestions

Postby Warrior4Christ » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:08 pm

I don't mean to create unnecessary work for anyone (ie. Mith), but I've got two suggestions for improvements (and I understand a large amount of time may pass before they are acted on, if at all).

1. The search feature is a little strict. It rejects common words and words with 3 characters or less. This is somewhat restricting, as sometimes I have a 3-letter search term in mind, and I can't think of a longer alternative that would produce the same results. A Google search is nice and easy - you type in your keywords, and it has a go at finding them no matter what you typed. It would be good if the search behaved in a similar way to that (it's sort of a big expectation, I know).

2. I think it would be valuable to have a 'get new' link/button/whatever that restricts its searching to only the threads that you have posted in. Sometimes I post in a thread and only realise there was a reply to it many days after, because I forgot I posted in it. It would also be useful to check that 'new' list if you've only got a short time.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:13 pm

The problem is, adding 3 letter words would tripple the database size. If there are certain words you think we should be able to search on, I can add them individually.

There actually is a 'get new' link at the top of the screen, btw, but it doesn't restrict to only stuff you have posted in. That's pretty much what the subscritpion system is in place for. Just do me a favor and don't subscribe to the bump thread. It places a large lode on the server.
Mithrandir

Postby Nate » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:07 am

I know this is a little dated, but I just started thinking about it today. About a month ago, I was curious what people had to say about the Kenshin dub on the OAVs, so I did a search on CAA for: kenshin dub oav

Of course, I got "The following words were too short/common and were not included in your search: dub, oav."

I think at least dub and oav/ova should be included.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:25 pm

OK. The system has been updated to reflect this. I'm not sure how long it will take before the search indexing is finished, though.

HIH,
Mith
Mithrandir

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:32 pm

Also some other words that might be put into consideration are: (if not already put)

OVA (alternative to OAV)
sub

er..... actually I can't think of some. When I do I will let you know.
Mr. SmartyPants

Return to Announcements and Feedback