Gallery suggestion

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Gallery suggestion

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:34 am

I have noticed that a lot of people like to post in the gallery (hey I practically live there...lol)

but sometimes people don't get the spotlight that I think they deserve...it seems that as soon as they post something someone happens to post like 2-5 pics right in a row... and I am not sure if that's fair to a person who has worked really hard on something.

so would it be possible to start a picture posting rule that you can't post a pic unless a certain amount of time has passed?

I mean I try to not take over the gallery with my pics so people can get ample spotlight time...

I dunno...just a thought.... sorry if it wouldn't work.. I just really care about my fellow artists...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby White Raven » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:46 am

I think this is awesome idea!

Also I always thought it was unfair, how it seems, if you are not posting a picture of what’s popular, at the time, you get very few reviews.

People if you want a review PM me with a link! I will gladly give you one.

Like CR said it’s hard to catch all the posts on the art boards.
formerly known as ILoveArt

My Deviant Art

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. Dave Barry

bigsleepj wrote: Unfinished stories never leave you, nor do they fester. They only grow better, like wine locked away in a deep dark cellar, waiting for you to bottle it and bring it to the light.
White Raven

Postby Debitt » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:55 am

I also feel bad when I feel a nice picture/photo/wallpaper gets bumped off of the front page. A posting time limit, or a plain old limit might work well for something like this.

Also, would it be possible to make a thread somewhere where overlooked submission would be posted? (pick a few submissions on Friday from all the galleries, leave them up for that week and rotate the next Friday) I'd be happy to start something like that, though I'm unsure where something like that would go to get a good amount of traffic.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:13 pm

This could save an awesome amount of bandwith too..

BTW all those avatar sized pics that I posted were for a very good reason... I am not a hypocrite I promise..
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:54 pm

Ooo, I like this idea, CR-chan! I often notice how pictures get bumped back really quickly due to a sudden influx of art and other things, and it's sad! A lot of pictures barely get any comments at all because of this, and I'm not really sure how many people browse the gallery on a regular occasion, so it's easy for pictures not featured on the front page to get passed over. I like Kokoro's idea, too. Anyways, great suggestion! :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Aka-chan » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:26 am

I totally agree.

My suggestion, actually, would be to bring the art threads section back. For me, my art thread was a place to put the silly stuff, the doodles, the "whatever" stuff I wanted to share but didn't necessarily feel the need to spotlight. The gallery, on the other hand, was where I put art every now and then when I had spent a lot of time on it and felt it deserved to show up as a thumbnail on the entire forum page. A lot of my stuff just doesn't get posted anymore because I don't think it merits that kind of attention, and I don't want to add to the overrun feel that's already creeping into the gallery.

Also, with art threads, people could find one belonging to the artist they were looking for and browse through a substantial sampling of their work without constantly having to go through new threads. Everything was there, combined.
Aka-chan

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:47 am

Bringing back the art forum sounds like a good idea too me. Everyone gets one tread a peice. The gallery would be good for a finished piece of art.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Aka-chan » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:28 am

Any word on a decision or even a consideration of this suggestion? Or a reason it might not be a viable option?
Aka-chan

Postby Myoti » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:30 am

What Aka-chan says. We need the Art Forum back. Please, we beg of thee. :<
Myoti

Postby ~BlueRose~ » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:33 pm

I also agree on this idea. I think some kind of limit would be awesome. ^_^
Avoid truth decay,
read your Bible.

Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe. [1Timothy 4:12]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://followingtheson.deviantart.com/
~BlueRose~

Postby SorasOathkeeper » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:44 pm

I'd love for the Art form to come back. Man, I've missed that so much. I loved posting in there so much more then the Gallery.
SorasOathkeeper

Postby Reba » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:56 am

I have a suggjestoin, I think we should have a AMV thread,And have contests ^^.

[SIZE="1"]A blue, black shade of love.

Sent from above.

[align=center]My hands are tied to worlds
alone,
And this I know.
Your breath's like wine,
And just like clouds, my skin crawls.
It's so divine, the sky it glows with fields of light.
Did you know that I love you?
Come and lay with me.
I love you.
And all this day, I will love you.
You make me feel alive,
and I'll love you
Until the end of time.[/SIZE][/align]
Reba

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:19 pm

....Am I the only one on CAA who uses the "get new" feature?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:55 pm

Himura Kaoru wrote:I have a suggjestoin, I think we should have a AMV thread,And have contests ^^.

Well this is where the miscellaneous area comes in...^^; we don't need to eat up all the bandwith...

contests would be fun..and you can probably start that on your own...you don't need a mod's permission to start a thread... if it's just for fun I mean...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Myoti » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:11 am

....Am I the only one on CAA who uses the "get new" feature?

I'm not sure if CR was thinking of this, but I know a personal problem is moving around the Gallery to find a specific picture. It can be rather difficult sometimes (which is why I'm all for bringing back the Art Threads).
Myoti

Postby Reba » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:44 pm

[quote="ChristianRonin"]Well this is where the miscellaneous area comes in...^^]

Hey true but i think i should ask first just in case <.<..

[SIZE="1"]A blue, black shade of love.

Sent from above.

[align=center]My hands are tied to worlds
alone,
And this I know.
Your breath's like wine,
And just like clouds, my skin crawls.
It's so divine, the sky it glows with fields of light.
Did you know that I love you?
Come and lay with me.
I love you.
And all this day, I will love you.
You make me feel alive,
and I'll love you
Until the end of time.[/SIZE][/align]
Reba

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:12 pm

I'm all for bringing back the art forum, as I stopped posting art on CAA aside from contest entries when they switched to the gallery section. I never see anyones art, since it usually has dropped off the page by the time I get there to look.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby CreatureArt » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:25 pm

I would tentatively support a revival of the art forum. However it was closed, and I don't know the reasons behind that. I'm sure there were some issues there so I guess I'm sitting on the fence at the moment.

EDIT: Strike that, rephrase it. I'm just guessing that there are some issues there since I did already maintain I didn't know for sure. Just editing for clarity.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Photosoph » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

I think the issues were that it took up a lot of bandwidth; people were making threads with all their artwork, which were getting very long and large, and if I remember correctly the moderators closed it to save bandwidth and also because the same thing could be done, if a person wished, in the Gallery.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:48 pm

[quote="Photosoph"]I think the issues were that it took up a lot of bandwidth]

Correct except for one thing. The gallery didn't exist until after the art forum was closed as far as I can remember.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Nate » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:55 pm

mechana2015 wrote:Correct except for one thing. The gallery didn't exist until after the art forum was closed as far as I can remember.

No, they existed at the same time, at least ever since I joined CAA in 2004. I always wondered why the Gallery and the Art Corner existed at the same time since they were pretty much the same thing.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:54 pm

kaemmerite wrote:No, they existed at the same time, at least ever since I joined CAA in 2004. I always wondered why the Gallery and the Art Corner existed at the same time since they were pretty much the same thing.

Wow... I don't remember seeing it before... it must have looked really different or something.. O.o

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:04 pm

maybe you had it collasped? ^^'
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Ashley » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:05 pm

Hurray for modly presence!

I'm here to tell you guys that we've seen this thread and we are going to be discussing options in ModLand about it. I really don't know how feasible any of this is--I am not a programmer and nor do I know what our said programmer's schedule is like--but we will at least discuss it. I'll keep you guys posted.

I always wondered why the Gallery and the Art Corner existed at the same time since they were pretty much the same thing.

We kept it around because we didn't want to delete anyone's posted stuff in there; it's more like a museum than a studio.
Ashley

Postby Nate » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:54 pm

[quote="Ashley"]We kept it around because we didn't want to delete anyone's posted stuff in there]
No, no, I know that, now that the Art Corner is closed. What I meant was, when BOTH the Art Corner and the Gallery were open, I wondered why since they were both practically the same.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:17 pm

kaemmerite wrote:No, no, I know that, now that the Art Corner is closed. What I meant was, when BOTH the Art Corner and the Gallery were open, I wondered why since they were both practically the same.

They're not the same though. The gallery dosn't offer a chance to really discuss art and things of that sort, like artists and techniques and what-not... I seem to reacall having some good discussions about artist issues like schools and stuff. Its kind of like having an area to post MP3s and killing the jam thread, or an area to post member executed anime fan-subs, but no anime discussion forum. We can't really get anywhere with a discussion easily but for referring to the person's singular piece of art.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Return to Announcements and Feedback