Post Count?

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Post Count?

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:45 pm

at another forum I occasionally go to (starmen.net) the mods have the post-count number hidden for every member. Reason being so "newer" people don't necessarily feel left out or anything. Also so people don't go "haha i have more post counts than you" or anything.

Does anybody foresee such things happening to CAA? I personally think it's a good idea. A lot of people usually make remarks about post counts and also see people with a higher post count more differently than ones with a lower post count. I figure if that was removed, everyone would be viewed more equally (with the exceptions of the mods)

just a suggestion!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:15 pm

People don't seem to care about post count here...I don't think we need to hide it unless it becomes a problem.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mave » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:35 pm

I personally prefer seeing the post count because it helps us to understand who's new and who isn't (in a useful and kind way). For example, it helps me to understand why someone didn't get a certain CAA slang or did something most of us avoid doing (e.g. grave dig, accidentally posted a spoiler). Knowing that this someone is new, I'll just relax and gently inform/remind them. The join date isn't as helpful as it doesn't give us a clue of how long you've been involved/active in the forum.

It's also useful in identifying trolls who have little (if hardly any) post counts. Apart from that, I hardly use the post count for anything else and hope that new members will quickly learn how much most of us don't care about post counts. XD

BTW, the lack of a reward system according to post count does us all great justice (thank you, mods/admins).
Mave

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:17 pm

You bring up a good point Mave!

And shihi, I tend to disagree. I've seem a number of posts commenting on post counts and stuff. And I don't know, I just fell uncomfortable around them. It feels like some people sorta play favorites or something. Maybe it's just me O.o
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:11 pm

MSP: We do not anticipate doing this in the near future, however, it's always possible that certain events will cause us to change our minds.

ShiHi: I agree. I think most of what's posted around here is in jest. I mean, let's face it: Despite the fact that Mave has 1/2 the number of posts that MSP has, her posts are usally more likely to have thoughful information (no offense, MSP).

Mave: The issue of "levels" has come up from time to time, but we tend to look down on that kind of thing.
Mithrandir

Postby Slater » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:18 pm

actually, I agree with MSP here. You are not your post count, but most people in a forum think they are, so we would be better off getting rid of them, just so that we can know a person at face value rather than how "elite" in the forum their PC makes them look
Slater

Postby Warrior4Christ » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:07 pm

I tend to agree with Mave for the most part. I see most references to post counts are done for their humour value.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Kaligraphic » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:47 pm

I would step in on the postcount-displaying side, but I feel outmatched by the larger postcounts of the postcount-hiding side. ;)
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby DrNic » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:29 pm

I would just like to say that the post count threads that have appeared in the Goof Off forum (partly my doing) were only meant to be for fun. I don't look down on 'n00bs' at all (I don't even like the word particularly) and I'm sorry if that's the reason you posted this MSP. Wasn't meant to cause any harm. Sorry guys.
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby Yumie » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:32 pm

[quote="Kaligraphic"]I would step in on the postcount-displaying side, but I feel outmatched by the larger postcounts of the postcount-hiding side. ]

That would appear to be true, until you consider that Mith is on the "postcount-displaying" side, and Mith's opinion counts as one million posts in postcount-displaying's favor. I know. I looked at his post count, and it's suddenly got a million more posts than it did before. Seriously.
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
Yumie

Return to Announcements and Feedback