trim whitespace in Chat

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

trim whitespace in Chat

Postby TurkishMonky » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:18 pm

hey, if you think if it's possible, could you add in a little utility to trim all whitespace in the chat to 1 space? if you put in enough spaces and a <username>, it will wrap. i mean, it's fun to do and all, but occasionally it can get annoying...
TurkishMonky

Postby Slater » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:24 pm

hmm... that sounds pretty easy as long as Mithrandir has the source to the .class files. Trimming whitespaces is an easy task in Java.
Slater

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:40 pm

Heh. Sure, I *could* do that. It's easier not to, though. I'm pretty much through with the java chat. I'm working on a new and improved one that won't require java, though.
Mithrandir

Postby Slater » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:45 pm

I could help with the process if you want. One question though... what exactly is the problem with whitespaces? too many in front of a message or at the end of a message?

hmm... in any event, multiple whitespaces aren't really that useful. One can use the Wrapper class to check to see if there are, say, 3 or more whitespaces in a row in a string sent by a user, then trim them out and replace them with a single space...
Slater

Postby TurkishMonky » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:42 pm

Slater wrote:I could help with the process if you want. One question though... what exactly is the problem with whitespaces? too many in front of a message or at the end of a message?

the "hack" goes as follows (using - for spaces for the puropse of this example)
i type in:

hello--------------------------------------<MyFriend>-hi

becomes

<TurkishMonky> hello
<MyFriend> hi

it's mostly harmless, until people start getting annoying with it, especially in the instances of doing multiple posts, ...

hello----------------------------------------<TurkishMonky>-hi----------------------------------<MyFriend> -hola.
<OriginalPerson> hello
<TurkishMonky> hi
<MyFriend> hola.

but it's not that big a deal, if it's that hard to do.
TurkishMonky

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:20 am

Heh. What version of Java are you refering to, Slater. I'd find it much simpler to sub in a regex of some type. I don't know if java supports it or not, though. I'm not much of a java programmer. I'm envisioning something like s/\s+/\s/g working quite nicely.
Mithrandir

Postby Slater » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:35 pm

oooh, I see.
And I've been studying Java 5.0... last time I looked at the chat's source, I didn't notice if it used 1.4 imports versus 5.0 imports.
But what's a regex?
Slater

Return to Announcements and Feedback