System Status Report Thread

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:46 am

uc pseudonym wrote:...they aren't common enough to matter greatly.

That makes my day, man! :thumb:
Mithrandir

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:58 pm

hehe
We should hold a contest..for most clever Outage message..SHOULD this ever happen again.. (knows that it won't happen often thanks to to Mithy's MAD SKILLZ! )
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Myoti » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:16 pm

"CAA has crashed permanetly and it's all thanks to you logging and overloading the system. Now thousands of rabid forum fans will hunt you down till the end of your worthless existence. Have a nice day."

Or better yet, have the BANNED screen show up, but if you scroll down real far you'll find the truth out. Now that would be hilarious. XD
Myoti

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:21 pm

O.O
*wonders how quick THAT would get blown out of proportion*

OTOH: I have to admit it would funny to see the look on Ash's face if she ever got the "banned" message.
Mithrandir

Postby shooraijin » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:40 pm

In other news, an old white wizard is fired from his position as system administrator of a famous Christian anime site. Shortly afterwards, he was found hanging by his thumbs with a state flag in his mouth and a note saying, "Don't mess with Texas."
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:10 am

You could always go for the random:
"CAA is being looted by vikings. Please come back later."
"Your post has been comandeered by pirates, who are now spreading piracy throughout the seven seas, all thanks to you. Yar."
"This page was assasinated by ninjas."

Oh, and I should also mention that putting up a link to your flactem jokes works pretty well during downtime.
uc pseudonym

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:37 pm

Maybe just a link to Anime Angels would work... =^_^=
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:00 am

Hmm... Seems we had some downtime recently here. I don't really know how long it was for as I only learned about it this morning. Anyway, if anyone was online when it happened and can PM me what you were doing we'll try to keep the downtime... er... down.
Mithrandir

Postby Arnobius » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:37 pm

Better part of two days for me. (And it also died recently today as well), I'm just now able to post again.

Today, I was able to Ping, but not access CAA when it crashed

BTW, thanks for fixing it. Missed having CAA
Arnobius

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:42 pm

Hmm. When I first got back here around 5:20 PM (PST) it was hanging again, so I had to reboot. Looks like it's back up, and I did some repair work on the hard drive. I think we may be maxing the usefullness of the box, actually, which would imply I'll have to upgrade it in the near future. I'm not sure how I feel about that, though.

So, to clear this up:

The system was off-line from noonish sunday 'till 10:30 AM today, then back down for 10 minutes at 5:20 PM. (All times PST).
Mithrandir

Postby Silvanis » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:55 pm

Thanks Mithrandir!
Silvanis

Postby Sephiroth » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:08 am

i still cant get onto the site via the normal domain name, to get here today i had to use the IP address, though at least that works now, i'll try the domain name next time again.
Largo (Megatokyo): "Its this thing... and its like, cool... and it does things... cool things!"

Ph34r t3h Cu73 0n3z!
Sephiroth

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Huh? That shouldn't be the case. What DNS are you pointing too? Do you happen to run a caching DNS server or are you behind a caching proxy that isn't working right? It shouldn't give you a DNS error, that's for DARN sure.
Mithrandir

Postby Sephiroth » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:12 pm

its fixed now, it was just this morning, GMT time, dunno what it was but yeah, its working fine now.
Largo (Megatokyo): "Its this thing... and its like, cool... and it does things... cool things!"

Ph34r t3h Cu73 0n3z!
Sephiroth

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:28 pm

OK. A few more hours today. We had a lightning storm in my area that nocked out power to the server. If we go off-line again, that's the trouble.
Mithrandir

Postby Locke » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:28 pm

I got locked since 4 today, the site came back around five thirty.
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:28 pm

whispers: "See above post"
Mithrandir

Postby Locke » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:38 pm

That wasn't there when I came in, the new firefox update doesnt allow for WYSISWYG formatting in quickpost (very very weird) so I had to go advanced.
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:02 am

Mithrandir wrote:I think we may be maxing the usefullness of the box, actually.

I realize that the most recent outage was caused by completely different circumstances, but given what I quoted, could we expect this to occur more often for the time being?
uc pseudonym

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:51 pm

Maybe. I guess I'll have to go with Plan B fairly soon. I'll be sure to surprise everyone with THAT, though. ;)
Mithrandir

Postby shooraijin » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:59 pm

We were down on purpose for security purposes over a couple hours this afternoon. Please report any unusual activity to a mod right away.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Myoti » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:21 pm

I.E. Troll Attack?

Just a suggestion, but perhaps that "Jr. Mod" thing should be reconsidered. :l
Myoti

Postby shooraijin » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:26 pm

Myoti, although people mean well, it tends to be counterproductive to call attention to troll waves publicly -- this means people hang around and look, slowing things down, and the trolls are encouraged to make a bigger mess. I removed your thread this afternoon for that reason.

I'm making a public point out of this, since we get this every time such an event occurs.

shooraijin

Postby Myoti » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:29 pm

Ah, I apologize them. I was going to ask a Mod why so many were being banned at the time, but I figured if it was an attack, as it appeared to be, I didn't want to be "getting in the way" or anything.

But I understand. I'll contact a Mod first from now on.
Myoti

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:33 am

Resurecting this thread...

The system was offline for a few minutes yesterday as I upgraded the security software. I'll be evaluating it over the next few weeks and we may make a general announcement at some point in the future.

Anyway, if you received a "could not connect to server" message yesterday, this is why.

Sorry for any inconvenience!
Mithrandir

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:17 am

Once again, resurected for its stated purpose. There were a few minutes of down time early this AM due to a security software update. My apologies to any and all who were affected. (I looked before hand - there were 4 live users and 12 guests).

PS: There will be a small be of downtime Wednesday night. It will happen sometime between 11:00 AM and 3:00 AM. Sorry I can't be more specific, but that was the window I was given.
Mithrandir

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:56 am

Update: 2/3/2007

There was a glitch with the email sub-system not delivering emails to users. This has been fixed. Unfortunately, that means all the emails that have been waiting for the last week or so JUST went out. My apologies to those of you who recieved a bunch. I personally got over a hundred, so I don't feel *as* sorry for you as you might. ;)
Mithrandir

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:13 pm

Thanks for mentioning that. I'm just glad it wasn't my client halting e-mails in the scanning process again (as has been known to happen).
uc pseudonym

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:43 am

Hey guys,

I had to update the system to prepare for the DST issues that we're working through. There was a quick reboot this AM, but only 6 people were on. Email seems to have come up correctly.

Also, there's a chance Tuesday morning that someone accessing the site won't get through. If you have a problem, check again in an hour or so - the issue should have been resolved.

- Mith
Mithrandir

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:02 am

Quick update: We had another short hiccup today while I installed a patch for some expansion we're doing on the server end. You might notice a slight speed increase, and this might solve a large portion of the chat lag issues, too.
Mithrandir

Previous Next

Return to Announcements and Feedback