vector graphics

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

vector graphics

Postby Straylight » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:35 pm

I'm thinkin of starting out in the wide world of "proper" graphic design - ie. that done with vector graphics software. Mainly for the purpose of designing logos and similar art, for print media.

Are there any good free ones available? Which software is the best? The last time I ever used vector software properly was about 6 years ago.. back then it was with CorelDraw.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? Book and tutorial site recommendations will also be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby MyrrhLynn » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:32 pm

Straylight wrote:I'm thinkin of starting out in the wide world of "proper" graphic design - ie. that done with vector graphics software. Mainly for the purpose of designing logos and similar art, for print media.

Are there any good free ones available? Which software is the best? The last time I ever used vector software properly was about 6 years ago.. back then it was with CorelDraw.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? Book and tutorial site recommendations will also be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Well to do my vectored wallpaper that is in the gallery I used Photoshop but that is not the best software to choose...

Here is the site where I learned how to vector :
http://www.clearlypixelated.com/vector/

She has several wonderful tutorials and links to other good tutorials. If I remember correctly she uses Adobe Illustrator, and from what I have heard talking to other people, that is one of the best programs for vectoring.

Hope that helped. :thumb:

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby glitch1501 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:20 pm

there is a program that microsoft aquired, i tried it out, its pretty nice, worth the install

http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/

hope this helps

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:43 pm

I thought Photoshop was raster graphics. You can't save the vectors, you have to save your lines as raster. Adobe's vector graphics proggie is Illustrator, but that's way too expensive...

I didn't even know there were freeware Vector graphics proggies... Basically, if you are making anything to sell, you need a proggie that comes with a license, such as Illustrator...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Blurb » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:22 am

Yeah, photoshop is for raster graphics, that is why vectors done in them have that gradient effect around the edges (a-a). I personally don't know of any free vector programs, good luck though.
I am a mighty mighty taco, fear the taco, eat the taco.
Blurb

Return to Tutorials