Art material help

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Art material help

Postby Kireihana » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:24 pm

I'm going to the art store Tuesday because my mom promised to get me a light box, and I was wondering if there was any particular brand/model that I should get, or even if anyone here uses a light box. The reason I want one is because I draw very messy sketches, and I like everything to be nice and clean when I draw the lineart and color it. So I plan to use the light box to trace over sketches. Plus, they're good for a variety of other things like reproducing pictures, mirroring them, etc.

If anyone else has art material questions, suggestions, etc., that's what I created this thread for!
Kireihana

Postby ssj2gohan61 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:05 pm

im not sure what exactly a light box is.. is it the thing where you put in little colored pieces and make a picture? lol maybe thats light bright i remember having one of those when i was younger.. oh wait i just read it again umm i never even knew those things existed lol i always just hold my pictures up to the window whenever i trace.. sorry i cant be of much help
ssj2gohan61

Postby Golden_Griff » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:12 pm

Ooo! I know what that is! :grin: It's exactly what it sounds like: a box with a glass top and a light on the inside. It's purpose is just what Kikeri said; you use it to trace over images. The light inside the box shines so bright through the glass top that you can see whatever's underneath (grant it that you don't have a whole notepad on the surface!)

Kireihana, how much do they cost anyway?
My art album! (Click Here!) :cool:

Proud member of P.W.M.O.U.W.I.A.T.M.A. : People Who Make Odd and Ugly Words In an Attempt To Make Acronymns.

"You don't have to be great to start, but you do have to start to be great."--Joe Sabah
Golden_Griff

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:52 pm

I used to have a very cheap light box, but I havn't used it in years, or really had use for one up til' recently. I'd really need some bright light to do the tracing I want to do anyways.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Kireihana » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:05 pm

Golden_Griff wrote:Kireihana, how much do they cost anyway?

Well, I've seen the more expensive models running around $60-$80, but there are cheaper ones that are about $20. The cheaper ones I've seen aren't exactly a box, though; they're more like an opaque tray with a light attatched underneath. The price also depends on the size of the box, though.
Kireihana

Postby Angelchick » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:19 pm

i have an Artograph Light Tracer that i think works really well. my mom said she got it at Michaels or Joanns for like about $30.
everywhere i go i can't escape your energy - Skillet

this isn't war, but these are still battles
and battles make it all die out - Dead Poetic

Sometimes I don't know
Where I am
Where I'll be - A Thorn For Every Heart
Angelchick

Postby Golden_Griff » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:39 pm

$20? Michaels? Marvelous! :grin: I think I'll invest in one of those.
My art album! (Click Here!) :cool:

Proud member of P.W.M.O.U.W.I.A.T.M.A. : People Who Make Odd and Ugly Words In an Attempt To Make Acronymns.

"You don't have to be great to start, but you do have to start to be great."--Joe Sabah
Golden_Griff

Postby Kireihana » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:28 pm

Thanks for your suggestion, Angelchick, I got the Artograph Light Tracer at Michaels yesterday. It was $42, though, but my mom consented to get it so long as I draw a picture for her XD
Kireihana

Return to Tutorials