Ok this is kind of weird but I need Dog help.

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Ok this is kind of weird but I need Dog help.

Postby Inferno » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:36 pm

OK I know this is kind of weird, but I need help with getting my dog to shut up! Ok she's a really nice dog, but she barks way too much! I mean she bark so much that the G.O.F. (grumpy old fart. Made that up myself :grin: ) behind us swears at her alot. Do you guys have any methods of getting a dog to be quiet?
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby JediSonic » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:54 pm

I'm afraid I dont have a lot of suggestions for ya, although I'll say that my dog does the same thing... I think its a hearing problem in her old age that makes her think there's something to bark at.

I usually just get the dog behind a door and then shut it so I dont have to listen to it :lol: (no not a closet.. that would be mean.. I just mean a different room of the house)
JediSonic

Postby Inferno » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:07 pm

Ummm my dog is not even one year old yet. :eyebrow:

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby Golden_Griff » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:50 pm

Turn on the television :) Okay, so I don't know if that will actually work or not. But I watch other dogs on television and they really seem enthralled by the "magical box." Maybe put it on the Animal Planet channel or something.
Golden_Griff

Postby madphilb » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:14 pm

It could be seperation anxiety, however if it is and it's an ouside dog I'm not sure what you'll be able to do, most of what I've seen as far as things to do have all been for inside dogs (and really hasn't helped much with my dog either).

Does you're neighbor realise that if the dog is looking for attention, that talking/yelling at the dog isn't helping but is rather re-inforcing the habit of the dog.

More extreme measures would be to muzzle 'em or get one of those sound-activated shock collars that zaps 'em when they bark (I don't know how well they work though).
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby JediSonic » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:03 pm

if its sound activated, dont make him wear it to a 4th of july party!
JediSonic

Postby Mr_Anderson » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:13 pm

Does your dog get lots of out door play, he just might be bored and wants out! (like me at school ;))
Shatterheart wrote:Sarcasm is like a butt...everyone has some...and some need to be kicked.
Mr_Anderson

Postby Straylight » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:18 pm

madphilb wrote:...one of those sound-activated shock collars that zaps 'em when they bark (I don't know how well they work though).

:wow!:

That does sound like an extreme method...
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Sam*ron » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:53 pm

Inferno wrote:Ummm my dog is not even one year old yet. :eyebrow:

Well Inferno, with a dog that young then you should really start to train it.
What you should do is, take a squirt bottle and squirt her everytime she barks and say NO! That should do it if you keep it up, and you should start to train her too.
Like my dog, I trained her and she turned out fine. :hits_self
Thank you Admins & Mods - @)}~`,~
Sam*ron

Postby Mr_Anderson » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:15 pm

i thought you said your dog is reatarded though...
Shatterheart wrote:Sarcasm is like a butt...everyone has some...and some need to be kicked.
Mr_Anderson

Postby Sam*ron » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:23 pm

Mr_Anderson wrote:i thought you said your dog is reatarded though...

Well she is sorda, lol! She just is kinda crazy, but she still listens! Thats good. :brow:
Sam*ron

Postby Heart of Sword » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:57 am

Squirt her, yeah. That should work.

Or, make her watch Anime. If that doesn't get someone to shut up and listen I don't know what will. :lol:
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Sam*ron » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:02 pm

Heart of Sword wrote:Squirt her, yeah. That should work.

Or, make her watch Anime. If that doesn't get someone to shut up and listen I don't know what will. :lol:

LOL! Yeah, don't like soak her just a little squirt. :brow:
Sam*ron

Postby madphilb » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:25 pm

Straylight wrote::wow!:

That does sound like an extreme method...

Actually I'd agree, which is why I've never resorted to it... but personally I find a muzzle far more harsh in the end... if the dog picks up on the *zap* when they bark and stops, they should never get zapped, however the muzzle puts pressure on their face and restricts their movement, and while they can still drink with it... it just seems a bit much.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby The Silence » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:44 pm

Shoot it.

waaaah! I'm sorry I didn't really mean it! Forgive me!
"Accoustic Guitar, I'm gonna make you a star,
Get your picture all over the world.
Accoustic Guitar, you can have your own car,
Just bring me back my girl..."

--Magnetic Fields

The Silence

Postby Mr_Anderson » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:32 am

Just make sure u don't "squirt" her while she has the zapper collar on and is barking, but that might solve ur barking probs, but there will be no more dog:brow:
Mr_Anderson

Postby Heart of Sword » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:57 am

Zap collars work but some dogs are too dumb to get the idea that they bark and they get zapped. I don't find them inhumane, it doesn't really hurt, it's pretty much the same thing as touching someone when you've been shuffling around the carpet wearing wool socks.
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:44 am

Yes, it's a relatively mild shock -- nothing threatening to them. Other dogs don't even notice (in addition to some just being unimaginably dense).

My mom's dog pack at my parents' house was trained out of barking with a spray bottle, and this generally works, but they often forget (however, they do remember when you bring the bottle out -- don't even need to mist them anymore).
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Uriah » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:56 pm

My method of silencing a dog would involve viloence or a shotgun.. So you probably should'nt listen to any of my advice.
Uriah

Postby Mr_Anderson » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:06 pm

yeah, probably not.
Mr_Anderson

Postby Sam*ron » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:39 am

Mr_Anderson wrote:yeah, probably not.

Yes I agree.....

About the shock collor thing, my cousins dog had that had that, and she still barked, whenever she wanted to, but then they de'barked her and she sounded really funny, but she got to bark whenever she wanted to without being herd, so yeah......
Sam*ron

Postby Jasdero » Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:34 pm

hmm...well, what do you mean by "barks a lot"? Does she bark when a car passes by, or does she just randomly bark as she walks around the house? Because my dog is just as old as your dog, and she does bark a lot, as in whenever she thinks she hears something suspicious, a car passes, or a person rings the doorbell.
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Saint Kevin » Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:58 pm

My dog, (that my mom got without consulting the family, for $500) has been an object of much contention at our home pretty much since it got here. It barks at or growls at just about everyone, has serious separation issues with my mom, and I'm pretty sure it was abused at some point, although I can't be sure.

You have my sympathy on the dog barking issue. I still can't get him to stop barking. I've tried smacking him on the nose (not hard) to give him some sort of negative reinforcement, but then he just runs away and continues growling (at my brother or guests) while only fearing me. He is so afraid of me, he won't come in the house when I'm the only one home.

So, I really got no advice for ya, but I think I might try the spray bottle thing.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby Jasdero » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:05 pm

Saint Kevin wrote:My dog, (that my mom got without consulting the family, for $500) has been an object of much contention at our home pretty much since it got here. It barks at or growls at just about everyone, has serious separation issues with my mom, and I'm pretty sure it was abused at some point, although I can't be sure.

You have my sympathy on the dog barking issue. I still can't get him to stop barking. I've tried smacking him on the nose (not hard) to give him some sort of negative reinforcement, but then he just runs away and continues growling (at my brother or guests) while only fearing me. He is so afraid of me, he won't come in the house when I'm the only one home.

So, I really got no advice for ya, but I think I might try the spray bottle thing.

lol man!! that's funny! the part whre you said "He is so afraid of me, he won't come in the house when I'm the only one home." ha ha!
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Inferno » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:34 am

well thanks for all your help guys! :thumb: Now ill have months of ideas to try.

P.S. sorry I havn't responded in awhile, I havn't been home all that much.

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby Iona » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:31 pm

Saint Kevin, if you think your dog was abused at some point and whether you wanted it or not, you should not be hitting it. Abused dogs are very sensitive to any kind of physical punishment. It's not the dog's fault that you're forced to live with him. Look, I'm really not trying to lecture you or anything, but please stop. I'm a future veterinarian and I have been raised with many different types of animals and dealt with several dogs. I've studied quite a bit on animals and I work for a few weeks in the summer at a vet clinic. It's a really bad idea.
"I am Kagura!"

Iona

Return to Tutorials