Techno music help!

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Techno music help!

Postby Retten » Fri May 07, 2004 8:06 pm

Hehehe yeah that's right I want to start making some techno music :) I ran across a cool program called FruityLoops and I played around with it for awhile and then realized I really have no idea what I'm doing lol So yeah how exactly can I get started making techno music I have no real musical background excepted for a couple of guitar and keyboard lessons -_- I want to get some real keyboard lessons so that I can hook it up to the comp but until then I'll just use software :P So yeah help please :?:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Gypsy » Sat May 08, 2004 7:44 am

Uh ... I've played around in Fruity Loops, but not for very long. If you'd really like to do some serious mixing, may I suggest programs like Cool Edit Pro (actually, I think Adobe bought them out), Cakewalk, Sound Forge, and ... oh shoot I forgot the name of the best one!

One of my co-workers is into making loops big time, and he was quite impressed with this company: http://www.propellerhead.se/

Might be worth downloading some demos. *shrugs*
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Retten » Sat May 08, 2004 10:32 am

Yeah I have seen Cool Edit Pro but most people use it to do recording and stuff like that. The propeller heads have Reason which is really cool but is even more complicated than FL so I have no idea how to do anything with it the last one that I know of which I havent tried yet is Acid Pro so I might go check that out :) The main problem is that I still dont know how to make much of anything with them -_-

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Straylight » Sat May 08, 2004 1:09 pm

Fruityloops is the real deal. If you wants help with it, IM me... I've been using it for ages to make tunes. It gives you a complete software music studio, just gotta know how to harness that power, which takes a fair bit of learning. The newer version (FL Studio 4) is well worth the money. Reason is quite good but not as flexible (imo).

I might post some tutorials if more people are interested.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Zedian » Sat May 08, 2004 1:52 pm

Straylight that would be awesome, I got a little bit of musical background but I don't fare too well in the world of techno music. I tried Cakewalk a long time ago from a friend of mine, the interface was really complicated and I didn't understand a thing. So it you can post those tutorials, why not share your knowledge with the fellow board ?
Zedian

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat May 22, 2004 11:47 am

Where does one get FruityLoops?

Rai
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Madeline » Sat May 22, 2004 1:47 pm

Uh ... I've played around in Fruity Loops, but not for very long. If you'd really like to do some serious mixing, may I suggest programs like Cool Edit Pro (actually, I think Adobe bought them out), Cakewalk, Sound Forge, and ... oh shoot I forgot the name of the best one!

Did you mean acid? Or protools...wait, that one's really expensive... ^^
Madeline

Postby LorentzForce » Sat May 22, 2004 10:51 pm

Or do what I'd do; make BM98 or Delight Delight Reduplication music! The bms creator (music maker) is free, and is pretty much THE best looper/composer I can find :P You'll need some sort of collection of loops, as usual, or other sounds, but otherwise it's very easy to make music with it. You can play it too after you make it :)

Great, the FAQ page for BM98 and D^2R is down. Well, just look for it, most every Japanese sites that like BM98 or DDR has downloads of them, usually with accompanying music they made. Some are absolutely the best music I have ever heard in my life...
LorentzForce

Return to Tutorials